Nugget Shooter Forums

My favourite find of 2018

This summer I spent a bit of time poking around a farmers field in southern Alberta. Every year this farmer who I have known my whole life let's me wonder around his fields. Shooting gophers and looking for whatever I want to look for.

This summer I found some pretty cool finds. From an egg shaped quartz rock that is perfectly smooth. As well as what I am told could be a fossil from the western Interior Seaway. I also found a few piece of petrified wood. This post is going to be about the absolute best piece of petrified wood I have ever seen or found.

This wood has red, yellow, brown and grey colors in it. It also shows very interesting grain pattern and yet still not what is most interesting. What's most interesting is that I think there is PETRIFIED SAP ON IT!! I am not 100% sure it is sap or if it is some other kind of mineral that has formed on the wood. I hope someone here can tell me. Anyway here is the piece of wood. Tell me what you think of it.

The photos will be in a reply to this.

Edited by pRoDiEuS
Correcting Spelling

Petrified sap is amber, now a gemstone, to test and see if it is amber, take a sewing needle and heat it with a flame and them touch the "sap/amber", if it does nothing it's not amber, if it melts into the amber slightly and smells like sap/resin then I would say, yes it's sap turned into amber.

Sorry to say, but that is not a piece of silicified wood .  It is a metamorphic rock of some type, maybe a Gneiss.  The main clue is from the close up photo that shows the reddish, purple material; those are stretched garnets.  You can also see the folds and layering caused by the heat and pressure that deformed the rock.  It's a very cool looking sample.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, 4meter said:

Sorry to say, but that is not a piece of silicified wood .  It is a metamorphic rock of some type, maybe a Gneiss.  The main clue is from the close up photo that shows the reddish, purple material; those are stretched garnets.  You can also see the folds and layering caused by the heat and pressure that deformed the rock.  It's a very cool looking sample.

Gneiss rock! It even has petrified garnet sap and everything! :)

The texture of the rock is a dead giveaway. Silicified wood (agatized or opalized) has crystals so tiny you can't see them. It is like glass as far as texture goes. This specimen is comprised of super tiny crystals and has the texture of fine mud or plaster.

The overall shape and color of the rock is similar to petrified wood. And the banded patterns are similar to wood grains. But the weathering and cleavage is not along wood grains. Nor is the fracture conchoidal. It was not shaped along the cellular structure of wood and patterned along cleavage and fracture due to mechanical weathering only (silica does not weather chemically). It was primarily shaped by  chemical weathering according to hardness and solubility. :old:

In other words it is definitely not wood agate. It is a neat rock though. It has a face as cute as a puppy. I would have picked it up and taken it home myself!

Bob