Nugget Shooter Forums

Ancient fossilized algonada found!

This morning while walking my dog I stumbled upon a very rare and valuable fossilized algonada. These stones were worshipped by the Nadie tribe and were said to hold the key to everlasting youth. 

DSCN0557.JPG

My aboriginal history says that a jolly man in red drops them from a flying snowmobile with a dead reindeer strapped over the hood. They make bright sparkles as they fall to the earth.

DSCN0558.JPG

This stone was at least as big as an outcropping the Spanish masons carved to resemble a chihuahua but has shrunk due to cosmic radiation and light bending around stars. That is what caused the wrinkles.

It is evidence that we must build a wall to keep the natives from putting home made license plates on the UFO's. It could also be a meteorite because it sticks to a magnet and voted for Obama in the last election. It is obviously a Muslim because it has a dark brown streak and a thick beard. It has a stamp from the postmaster general clearly visible in red ink. 

No doubt it gets free housing and health care because of the thick fusion crust and roll-over belly. If it is not defeated in the next election it could get metal flakes and need to be nickel tested. Any facts that indicate otherwise are fake news and part of a dark conspiracy to take away firearms and silence dissenters.

I would like for an expert here to tell me how fast it was going when it flew out of the turbulent eye of Uranus. If I don't like your answers I will call you names. Thanks in advance!

Merry War On Christmas! Happy End To The Last Year!

• Haha 6
57 minutes ago, clay said:

Merry Xmas to you too Bob!  :action-smiley-068[1]:

The answer is still 62.

Al is a bit slow today Clay. Just so he can catch up I will put it in the form of a question so he will remember....

How many tortillas does it take to shingle a sch!thouse flying over Lake Deming in a sandstorm?

And before you tell me about codes Al just keep in mind that the inspector interprets the codes and not the developer. We are going by the ICC or the ICBO whichever one you want to look at. They both clearly state "A tortilla no less than 5.5" in diameter and made from yellow corn masa with no less than a 5% lime content. Applied with at least a 2" overlap on the leading edge and fastened with two wide crown galvanized fasteners designed by the manufacturer to withstand pull through based on ANSI/ASME B82.3".

So don't give me that Project Manager noise. Just get the sc!thouse shingled and let me know if it affects the CPI or the SPI in the next quarterly management meeting. :)

:25r30wi:

Merry Christmas Clay! And you too Al! Buncha rascals I tell ya...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
18 minutes ago, hardtimehermit said:

Yea Merry Christmas Bob, and i would guess the speed of sound is my answer to your question.:brows:

Bingo! It was the speed of sound! 

It musta ROARED!

Merry Christmas Mr. Hermit of the Hard Times! And Fleas Navidad from my dog to yours!

SAM_1154.JPG

• Like 4
  • well done 1
30 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Al is a bit slow today Clay...

:25r30wi:

Merry Christmas Clay! And you too Al! Buncha rascals I tell ya...

I plead remiss, as I was hunting fresh batteries for the upcoming low tide.. :black_knight_standing:

Also, I was certain the answer is 42 -- but I'm pretty sure that's cos I can't decant metric.. 

We wet and cold yet..? :4chsmu1:

Swamp

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Swampstomper Al said:

I plead remiss, as I was hunting fresh batteries for the upcoming low tide.. :black_knight_standing:

Also, I was certain the answer is 42 -- but I'm pretty sure that's cos I can't decant metric.. 

We wet and cold yet..? :4chsmu1:

Swamp

Just invert and multiply. Don't try to think about it too much. :)

Wet and cold? 

It is beautiful warm sun and about 65 degrees out here. I bet it will be 72 this afternoon. I have a tee shirt on. Have not seen a cloud or a drop of rain in at least a week. The nights are down in the upper 20's so the humidity is about 10%. It is dry as usual. 

I am thinking about taking the convertible for a spin through the village and get me some tamales rajas with an egg on top. It is lunch time!

• Like 1

My son and I went out shooting bottles this afternoon. We hit our "spot" and there were a couple Sherriff Deputies out doing the same. They had an old piece of body armor they were playing with. We all shot it with all sorts of weapons. Nothing would go through.

DSCN0560.JPG

It was mighty tough. The .223 would not get the job done. We shot it with a .357 and the .44 and it would stop all the bullets. It has a pocket in the front for a steel armor plate but the plate was not inserted. So this is just the Kevlar pad in the front that stopped the rounds.

I set it out at about 100 yards and let a couple fly with the .243. It went through the front piece but the bullets lodged in the back. Honestly it is an amazing piece of armor. This is the back side of the chest armor.

DSCN0561.JPG

Here is the back armor with the bullets lodged in it.

DSCN0562.JPG

Here is what is left of a 70 gr. bullet. I dug it out of the back of the vest. There is a lump in the bottom hole. That is my second round.

DSCN0563.JPG

And here is a sweet little tiny bottle that we took hostage. I have no idea what was in it. Probably perfume of some sort?

DSCN0564.JPG

The cops left the body armor behind for us to play with. I am going to test out a few loads and see if I can get a .357 to penetrate it. It won't be easy. This stuff is amazingly tough.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

So Bob are you saying you corrupted LEOs into shooting bottles.. :yikes:....Bob, Bob, Bob what are we going to do with you!! :89:

I am not sure how corrupt it is but yeah, we spent the afternoon shooting bottles! And we broke plenty. Between the five of us we must have fired at least 500 rounds. I would imagine we smashed at least half that many bottles. Glass was a flyin' for sure.

We mutilated some cactus and engaged in sedition too. I just feel dirty all over. I kinda dig that feeling so we had a great afternoon!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
25 minutes ago, d_day said:

I don't think you'll get the .357 through no matter what load you try. Might have a shot with a .220 swift.

Here is my spin on it...

There is no difference between the Swift and the .223. Same bullet and that is what the problem is there. If the .223 was shooting a hunting bullet or an FMJ it probably would have done it. Put that same bullet in a Swift and it will yield the same result. I honestly don't think a little speed will make that much difference. Bullet construction was the problem with the .223 and would be just the same with the .220 IMHO. A good bullet in either would melt right through that vest I think.

A varmint bullet in the .243 would have probably failed too. Just a hunch. It sure tore up the 70 gr. Nosler partition and it lost about half its weight just getting stopped. I think a thin jacketed bullet would have stopped in the front plate just like the .223

I think you are right about the .357 but with a hot load I think it may do it. The .44 too. I was shooing the toy rounds we shoot at bottles and they are super light. The cops were shooting 9mm and .40 so they had no chance at all. All the pistol rounds were doomed because of low power. 

Just a hunch. I am anxious to go shoot a few more at this thing and see just what the heck will penetrate it. 

We had a few bowling pins too. That .44 would just flip them head over heels. The .40 and .357 would knock them over but they just absorbed the 9mm rounds. You had to hit one just right to flip it over with the 9mm. It is amazing the difference in energy and speed between the different rounds. 

42 minutes ago, d_day said:

I didn't realize you weren't shooting FMJs at it. FMJs in a rifle will usually eat a level iii vest for breakfast.

Yeah. They were varmint bullets. Thin jackets. They were those Hornandy high velocity jobs one of the cops were shooting in an AR. I think he said they were 60 grain. 

We hit it a few times with several weapons. The vest was a lot heavier after we got finished with it!

I am anxious to see what a full house round for the magnums will do. I rarely shoot loads like that but I will shoot a few now that I have a target like this one. 

I have an armor plate for the chest pocket too. It has one hole in it near an edge. After I shoot the vest a few times with the handguns I will put the plate in there and hit it with the '06.

The plates we shot testing for the military handled a .308 at 100 yards. I was highly impressed. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, nugget108 said:

The plates we shot testing for the military handled a .308 at 100 yards. I was highly impressed. 

I would not be surprised if this one did too.

It has a big hole in it you could stick your finger through. One of the big magnums for sure. I have no idea what weapon or yardage.

It is a sweet piece of metal. Hard as heck. You can't beat the little burrs down with a hammer. It took some power and a durable projectile to blow a hole in it.

• Like 1

We tested a carbon fiber style and an aluminum/titanium alloy style. The carbon fiber held up to the .308 at 100 yards through a AR-10. That was the biggest round it could handle. They were 1 inch thick and octagonal shaped which was a heck of a design. The alloy plates held up to a .338. It was absolutely amazing. They were 1,1/4 inches thick if i remember right and had a cool curved octagonal design. I miss that job lol.

• Like 4
19 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

...Wet and cold? 

It is beautiful warm sun and about 65 degrees out here. I bet it will be 72 this afternoon. I have a tee shirt on. Have not seen a cloud or a drop of rain in at least a week. The nights are down in the upper 20's so the humidity is about 10%. It is dry as usual... 

Wet as in from wading through shallow tide pools..

Cold as in although yesterday's high peaked at 72 a variable breeze out of the north found me in a tank top and at times almost wishing I'd grabbed a hoodie.. The day before had been calm with the high topping out at 68 and I was cracking a slight sweat while shirtless.. Seems the wind can be fickle as well as ill.. We're on a warming trend here, may be 80 come Fri, but as winds shift SE the humidity increases.. Low rain chance though, so looks like 2 or 3 more good afternoon low tides before darkness switches things to dawn..

There is a problem, however.. Near-shore sand pumping during the summer and early fall to replenish the large amount of beach eroded away by the previous year's hurricane has totally moved stuff from where it should be.. We can finally get to the low tide main shore cut without knee-deep wading and there's nothing there.. As in nothing nothing.. No pop tops, no bottle caps, no bobby pins, no scrap bits of metal or foil, no hair clips, no sun glasses -- not even any plastics.. It's downright eerie, I tell ya..! I figure everything that had been there is now on shore mixed in with the thousands-of-yards of newly created beach -- and ya can wade through that foot-deep top fluff for almost twenty minutes before finally keeling over..

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do.. I really don't want to fight my way through all that new loose stuff, but that may be the only choice.. Welll, not the only, but probably the most odds-on.. Today I'll go out off-shore as far as I can, but I can already tell you nearly everything I scoop will be either fish hooks or sinkers -- if really lucky maybe a nice knife..

BUT!! -- None of this actually matters, cos I only metal detect as an excuse to get out and walk.. :rolleyes: :4chsmu1:

Swamp

Edited by Swampstomper Al
  • Like 1

Merry Christmas Al!

Around here the beaches are almost a mile above sea level and the tide is always low. It is very rare for it to be cold and wet at the same time. But there is always an excuse to get out and walk.

I have always been fascinated with the dynamics of beach hunting. It is a special set of forces that I know very little about. I have dabbled in the Sea of Cortez and the Gulf of New Mexico but have never gained a level of proficiency.

I do however comb beaches. I have a special beach comb that takes the tangles out easily and leaves a splendid coif.  It can braid woods, tease peaks, dread the slopes and brush the  brush too. You should see the ponytail I did just north of Albuquerque!

• Like 1