Nugget Shooter Forums

Looking for a good cover for an RV in Arizona.  I cover mine, but I'm on my second cover with each lasting about nine months.  The summer sun is really brutal on these covers and they become so brittle, they start to tear in my hands when I pull it off.  Went to camping world, but the warranties there only cover tears along the seams, and that is not where these are tearing.  Its almost as if the warranties are written not to file claims.

I can't put up a pole barn right now.  I have it stored at one of the lots without a reserved spot.  When I leave, I may not get the same spot back.

If I get another cover, I may spray it with Scotch Guard Carpet protector.  I can get that by the gallon.  Since I take this thing off by myself, being light is fairly important.

Is Scotch Guard UV..? Cos that's what you need -- like what's in sheets of window tinting and 'vinyl' window 'glass'..

I had my back porch done with that clear vinyl window stuff about twenty years ago.. I've totally abused it, as in not cleaning it at all much less properly, and it's still as supple as the day it was installed..

As a comparison / contrast: A few years ago I tossed together a rickety germinating hut that only got four hours at most direct sunlight a day.. I made the walls out of 7mil polywhatever painter drop cloth.. By 6mo it was cracking.. At 8mo I couldn't peel it over the staples since it just cracked apart in my hands.. At just over a year the stuff was literally dust.. Yup, the sun does a number on stuff for sure..!

Maybe someone mfg's a cover imbued with a UV protectant..? Is that even possible..? Merely random thoughts..

Swamp

White latex roof paint bro. Scotch Guard is clear urethane designed to repel water and dust that will cause mold. It won't protect anything from sunlight.

Any exterior latex will do a great job but the roof paint has lots of UV stuff in it. A plain tarp with white roof paint will last almost as long as Sunbrella. That is the quality boat fabric they use for boat and garden canopies.

I wonder how heavy the tarp would be with paint on it and if it would dry stiff.  Maybe applied lightly with a spray gun.  3M also makes a water / Sun repellent, but I can't seem to find it in gallons.  I can't find many UV protectants available in a gallon.

Use white Elastameric coating, my uncle was in the roofing business, and they used it for walking decks, in fact I built a ramp for my wife and coated it with it, you can buy it a lowes in 5 gallon buckets, but its around 75.00 for it. Grubstake

Chrisski,

What if you took a canvas painters tarp and painted it like Bedrock Bob said? You could use either exterior paint or that white elasto stuff Grubby was talking about if it stays flexible. The canvas would provide the paint with superior surface adhesion vs a poly tarp. I believe you would have to do it in 2 or more sections because they will be heavy, but the protection would be unbeatable. 

I used to be a house painter a long time ago and have used many, many tarps coated with overspray. They become impervious to pretty much anything after they get enough paint on them.  

The two tarps is probably not a bad idea.  I'm putting this thing on myself climbing the rickety RV ladder to do it, so that gets rid of some of the weight going up an extra 60 LBS of coating up the ladder.  The cover is at least three feet too long, so in theory it could be cut, and I could sew some ties to tie the two halves together.  If I did this, it may be coating the cover I already have.

Whatever I get is supposed to breath also, otherwise the rain that makes it through the tarp will mold.  Probably not that much of an issue for sunny AZ.