Nugget Shooter Forums
Edge

Hey treasure hunters, $20K reward

8 hours ago, Edge said:

Google is your friend. I've been in touch with the planes owner, he's emailed me twice with info.

If you want to search the White Mountain Apache Res, you can buy hiking/camping permits cheap online.

I am searching the West Mesa near Albuquerque. No permits needed at all!

I did not find his email, but found his company's webpage and used the first letter first name with the last name like all others did, and the e-mail bounced back.  There's a few things  where you can reach the end of the internet pretty quickly like hard rock mining and gem cutting because there's just not a lot of how to info.

1 hour ago, GeoJack said:

Big search area.

search.jpg

So I'm not the only one that had that up on Google!! I wonder how many hundreds of people brought this up.

2 hours ago, GeoJack said:

Big search area.

search.jpg

The top of that mountain is 11400 ft. The river in the lower right corner is 7500 ft. That mountain rises 4000 feet between those two points.

It is not only a big, wide search area it is a tall one too. Anyone who is driving up from the flatlands and planning on walking on that hill is going to struggle. Know what altitude sickness is and how to fight it. Be in shape or that mountain will simply overwhelm you.

No trails either. There is precious little access at all in there and you are not going to need your ATV. This is going to be high country bushwhacking all the way. It is on foot or horseback over huge ridges pushing through the vegetation. Again, be in shape or that mountain will overwhelm you.

The average temps will be a high of 32 and a low of 10. So bring plenty of sheepskin and canvas. Prepare for frozen food and water and plan on walking in hip deep snow in places. Get there quick because it is going to get colder and the snow will get deeper fast.

:)

• Like 2

I was thinking more of a grid search from aerial photography. Current Google Earth image is from 2016 so no joy there. Did this when Steve Fossett went missing.

Researching other org's that have data bases of aerial shots of the area.

Here is my spin on it.

This plane went down last May. The story of the lost Avenger is posted at every airstrip in the west. The story of the bailout and rescue is aviation lore. Every aviator going between Phoenix and Albuquerque has been flying over that spot looking for that plane for nine months. If this wreck was visible from the air it probably would have been found.

Alpine is just NE of the mountain and is a big fishing destination. Lots of small planes and rich guys with summer cabins there. There are dozens of small planes in and out of there on a daily basis all summer. Most of them fly directly over the location at a low altitude on approach or takeoff from Alpine. There have been many eyes searching for this wreck from above.

Now that it is worth 20K every aviator going between Phoenix and Albuquerque is going to look even harder. If this wreck is visible from above someone in a plane is going to find it first.

Otherwise the only way to find it is frozen sweat and boot leather. I think the owner has come to this conclusion as well. That is why he posted a reward for a ground search.

JMHO

19 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I am searching the West Mesa near Albuquerque. No permits needed at all!

Haha, I used to live north of Coors and Pajarita, the New Mexican Sahara. Keep an eye out for a couple drums full of cash.

Edited by Edge
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Edge said:

Haha, I used to live north of Coors and Pajarita, the New Mexican Sahara. Keep an eye out for a couple drums full of cash.

Yeah, cash, trash, dead animals, dead bodies, drugs and stripped cars. An occasional meth lab in a motor home. Maybe a few airplanes too. The west mesa is a wonderland filled with the refuse of human depravity.

A buddy of mine built a house out there in the wasteland a few miles past the industrial park. Nothing for miles around. There was a steady stream of traffic on those dirt roads out there. A circus of people doing things they did not want others to see. And dozens of desperados camping in a cars in the sand.

Then there were several compounds spaced out every few miles with big fences and walls of old tires. Lots of semi trailers and shipping containers stacked in strategic ways.  Acres of old cars, RV's and campers a mile behind a locked gate. The whole area had a Mad Max feeling about it. 

Have you ever been south and east of Los Lunas near Meadow Lake?  On the road that runs east of the Rio Grande and comes out west of Mountainair? It is super wild over there. There is a huge outlaw community. I am talking thousands of people. It is tribal buddy. Completely off the rails. Absolutely post apocalyptic society that sprang up out there.

Anyhoo, the plane could be most anywhere west of the Mogollon Ridge in that basin. And that is a lot of rough, remote mountains. A plane in that area that has not been seen by air is in a canyon or down in thick cover. And that means a lot of guys could look for a long time and never find the plane. Or a guy could walk over the hill from the main road and see it right there on the hillside too. 

You would have a better chance of finding $20K in cash on the West Mesa of Albuquerque than you would have finding that plane. That is why I am searching over there in the sand dunes west of the industrial park.

Yes I've been down that road, always prayed my truck wouldn't break down or tires blow.

Lived in Los Chavez too. Peaceful enough but plenty of meth heads trying to take anything not chained down.

9 hours ago, GeoJack said:

I was thinking more of a grid search from aerial photography. Current Google Earth image is from 2016 so no joy there. Did this when Steve Fossett went missing. 

Where do you get this 2016 date?  My banner says 2018.

21 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

No trails either. There is precious little access at all in there and you are not going to need your ATV. This is going to be high country bushwhacking all the way. It is on foot or horseback over huge ridges pushing through the vegetation. Again, be in shape or that mountain will overwhelm you.

:)

I appreciate the tip. I would think by the several trails and the ski slope towards the top of the mountain visible on Google that it would be fairly easy to get to the top.  Could be lack of access to those trails and roads.  Wouldn't be the first time I've went somewhere to find gate access blocked.  I just noticed the Mt Baldy wilderness, so that would be foot traffic only.  May pay to check this out on Land matters prior to boots on the ground.

I did not see where the Mt. Baldy radar is located, but tends to be in the top.

11 minutes ago, chrisski said:

I appreciate the tip. I would think by the several trails and the ski slope towards the top of the mountain visible on Google that it would be fairly easy to get to the top.  Could be lack of access to those trails and roads.  Wouldn't be the first time I've went somewhere to find gate access blocked.  I just noticed the Mt Baldy wilderness, so that would be foot traffic only.  May pay to check this out on Land matters prior to boots on the ground.

I did not see where the Mt. Baldy radar is located, but tends to be in the top.

Looks like you got it all figured out bro! :)

18 hours ago, chrisski said:

Pull your cursor off the page at the bottom, imagery date shows up down  next to the coordinates.

whiteriver.jpg

Edited by GeoJack
  • Like 1

I only see the year.  This is what I see in windows 10 on edge, internet, and chrome:

Mount Baldy.JPG

You are using Google maps Chris. To my knowledge it always shows the current year copyright notice.

Geo Jack is showing you a screenshot of Google Earth. Google Earth shows the imagery date - as well as the copyright date.

Apples/Oranges

Edited by clay
  • Like 1

The easiest way I know of accessing the top of Baldy is to park at the campground just west of 273 on the West Fork of the Little Colorado River. I seem to recall it's called something like sheepshead crossing. That camping area is about 9.200 ft elevation and the West Fork canyon leads right to the top of Baldy at about 2,000 ft higher. The West Fork canyon is mostly an easy hike, until you get near the peak, but it's probably about 8 miles one way. I haven't been up there in 30 years but I doubt the trail got any steeper or the mountain higher.

• Like 2