Nugget Shooter Forums
Edge

Hey treasure hunters, $20K reward

Last May, two men parachuted out of a WWII Gruman Avenger, just south of Whiteriver, AZ. They were flying the antique plane east when they experienced engine trouble and had to bale out at approximately 800' AGL. Plane was lost by radar just south of Mt Baldy and hasn't been seen since. The owner is offering a $20,000 reward for the GPS Coordinates of the crash site.

Happy hunting and don't forget to split the reward with me.

https://www.wmicentral.com/news/apache_county/a-tale-of-survival-and-the-search-for-a-lost/article_c249ee52-d03a-5c5f-8ca3-979d37feda32.html

• Like 2

What fun! Now here is a real treasure!

It is right over there by Blue somewhere. Nice country. Who wants to go camping in the mountains in January? 

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

What fun! Now here is a real treasure!

It is right over there by Blue somewhere. Nice country. Who wants to go camping in the mountains in January? 

I'm thinking closer to the Black.

I normally take off for the Grand Canyon area shed hunting in April, I may have to detour.

Edited by Edge

I agree.  He has to have a better starting point than

Parachute Drop Location:
Approximately 20 to 25 miles east of White River Indian
Reservation, Airport (E24)

That is still rather vague.  If I could get some better info, I'd be there this weekend.  First have to check to see if I can wander around the forests of the San Carlos Indian Reservation.  I somehow doubt that.

28 minutes ago, chrisski said:

Parachute Drop Location:

That is still rather vague.  If I could get some better info, I'd be there this weekend.  First have to check to see if I can wander around the forests of the San Carlos Indian Reservation.  I somehow doubt that.

Did you read the article?

He has a detailed map and all the info available. Including radar data. Yours for the asking.

43 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

He has a detailed map and all the info available. Including radar data. Yours for the asking.

Yes and believes the plane landed in Apache County, nowhere near San Carlos, probably not White Mtn Apache Res either.

Edited by Edge

35 minutes ago, Edge said:

Yes and believes the plane landed in Apache County, nowhere near San Carlos, probably not White Man Apache Res either.

I figure you are right. Boggy Creek, Centerfire Creek area on the upper Black. About 8K feet altitude in there. And definitely not on the San Carlos. East of the Ft. Apache Rez. The San Carlos Rez is to the south of the Ft. Apache Rez.

Right on the Apache/Greenlee line somewhere...

Coupla big azz private ranches in there. Rich cattle land on the SE flank of Baldy. I bet some well funded cowboys are already on that plane and have been waiting for it to be worth $20k to find it. If it does not magically turn up by February there might be a chance no one knows where it is. My bet is that it was "found" the instant there was a reward offered and we just have not heard about it yet. If not they are waiting until after Christmas to "find" it.

Feb and March will be cold at that level. It might be good to contact that flyboy in late February and see if this game is still on. If the plane is still out there late March would make sense. And the trout will be biting in the lakes then too. 

Are you interested in following it up? Maybe since the Gage Train Robbery Treasure Hunt did not go over so well we can just go hunt a real one? 

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I did read that article, but I did not see any email, phone number, or address to get this map.  If I could, I'd pull the 7 May Baldy Mountain Radar tapes, but I can't find a good day of the crash I think it may have been as early as 3 May.  A time and IFF squawk would help.

If the one fellows account was accurate, the aircraft leveled of somewhat as it went over Baldy. It could have traveled a bit further than they think. There is some thick timber up there and if that sucker augered in, it could be hard to spot from the air. 

I'm surprised nobody found it during last fall's hunting season. There should have been plenty of deer and elk hunters roaming that area. 

I'm at a loss to what might be the marsh he saw from the air, unless it's a creek bed that had a flooded area from the rain. Not many marshes out in this part of the country.  A lot of history with that plane.

A fighter enroute from Luke to a base in CA went down in the 1950's less than 2 miles north of the present day Burnt Wells Rest Area on I-10. A hunter came across some of the wreckage more than 30 years later. The pilot ejected, his remains have never been found. 

2 hours ago, chrisski said:

I did read that article, but I did not see any email, phone number, or address to get this map.  If I could, I'd pull the 7 May Baldy Mountain Radar tapes, but I can't find a good day of the crash I think it may have been as early as 3 May.  A time and IFF squawk would help.

Plane went down Sunday May 6. I have contacted the planes owner and am asking for the map.

• Like 2
  • well done 1

13 hours ago, chrisski said:

I'm at a loss to what might be the marsh he saw from the air, unless it's a creek bed that had a flooded area from the rain. Not many marshes out in this part of the country.  A lot of history with that plane.

That is Mt. Baldy brother. There are marshes all over that area. It is an 11K ft. high mountain that spawns a dozen big rivers. There are big marshes 360 degrees around the entire mountain.

He was flying right over the White River valley when he started having trouble. No doubt he saw the bogs and marshes in that big valley and considered it a possible landing spot. 

They walked down the mountain to the road and then were taken to White River. Pretty much right back where they came from. The river runs from the very top of that mountain all the way down the SW flank. There is really no other way they could have got off that mountain. So the marsh that he saw was one of the many in the valley of the White River. It could have been one of dozens in that area.

Drag out a map and take a peek at it. It might clear up a lot of confusion about that location.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Edge said:

A fighter enroute from Luke to a base in CA went down in the 1950's less than 2 miles north of the present day Burnt Wells Rest Area on I-10. A hunter came across some of the wreckage more than 30 years later. The pilot ejected, his remains have never been found. 

It is amazing it took that long to be found in a open-ish desert area.  That area east of Baldy is chock full of little valleys and ravines covered in big timber. It could be years before this crash is found.

I think there is an early season archery deer hunt over there. If it hasn't been found by then, a deer and treasure hunt could be in the works. :brows:

Bob is right about Baldy. That mountain is a giant sponge! I hiked through an area that was just like Alaska. Thick timber, muskeg and tundra like meadows. 

The high country IS covered in snow right now. Nothing will be found till spring. Unless, like Bob said, it's already been found. 

https://www.sunriseskiparkaz.com/live-cameras

Edited by ArcticDave
Add camera link

20 minutes ago, ArcticDave said:

It is amazing it took that long to be found in a open-ish desert area.  That area east of Baldy is chock full of little valleys and ravines covered in big timber. It could be years before this crash is found.

I think there is an early season archery deer hunt over there. If it hasn't been found by then, a deer and treasure hunt could be in the works. :brows:

http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue2/1997/09/10/134375-rincon-crash-may-be-linked-to-drugs/

Or would you rather find $1.5M?

I read about this event earlier this year. Sounds like a great big treasure hunt. No doubt thee reward will spur lots of interest. Given the size, I expect it to be found this spring if not sooner. I hope someone on this forum finds it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Edge said:

Hmmm...that sounds like an inside job. The 4th fellow probably killed the others and parachuted out a' la DB Cooper with all the cash he could grab. 

4 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

Hmmm...that sounds like an inside job. The 4th fellow probably killed the others and parachuted out a' la DB Cooper with all the cash he could grab. 

Back in the days when they smuggled drugs over the border in airplanes they flew at night. They generally crossed down near Antelope Wells New Mexico and flew by the light on top of the Playas smelter stacks. 

More than a few crashed in the New Mexico desert. It was downright common. And it was common to see guys waiting for a shipment to land or be dropped too. I used to work for an aircraft outfit that would rebuild the planes purchased at the CBP auction and take them back to the ranches in Mexico. So I got to see many wrecked planes that were confiscated as well as the landing strips they originated from in Mexico.

On one occasion a plane flown by one of my high school classmates, and bearing the seal of the Gobernador de Estado Chihuahua crashed into the top of the Playas smelter smokestack. It limped along and landed rather roughly on the playa with a half dozen Phelps Dodge employees close behind. I don't even remember how much cocaine was stuffed in that plane but they said it shifted forward in the rough landing and ripped the pilot seat off the mounts. My old high school chum nearly died under a pile of dimple dust.

There is a tank (a dirt pond) west of Las Cruces called Marijuana tank. Back in the early 80's it was a spot that planes would try to hit when dropping off loads of weed. They would not land. They would just kick out bundles or a barrel and fly back across into Mexico. Guys would be waiting on the ground to collect it and take it to wherever.

Us kids would go out there and try to find any plastic blowing around. You could always find some stash tangled up in the folds of bags stuck in the mesquite bushes.

There were lots of seeds in weed back then. Soon there was marijuana growing all over the area in the fall. A couple years went by and it really sprouted in the bottom by the dirt tank where the floods took the seeds into the bottom.  The Sheriff went batcrap crazy with a flamethrower and it made the national news. 

Even the topo map for that area (updated 1984 I think) labels that tank as Marijuana Tank. About 1981 you could go out late in the summer and it would be growing waist high on the face of the dirt dam and on the sides of the arroyos near the waters edge.

• Like 1

WoW, The Rincon Mtns use to be one of my old stomping grounds.  Spent a pile of time on the Eastern Side of those rocks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, homefire said:

WoW, The Rincon Mtns use to be one of my old stomping grounds.  Spent a pile of time on the Eastern Side of those rocks.

Me too, there's a couple wrecks in there. I worked at Colossal Cave in the 70's.

21 hours ago, Edge said:

Plane went down Sunday May 6. I have contacted the planes owner and am asking for the map.

I could not find him.  I did send an E-Mail, but it bounced back.  Found a phone number, but didn't call.

10 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Drag out a map and take a peek at it. It might clear up a lot of confusion about that location. 

Forgot the obvious think of taking out a map from the USGS store.  I'm hooked on google maps now.  Really didn't think there were any marshlands in AZ except for maybe small wise sections of the rivers.

A guy I know hunts missing aircraft. He told me that oftentimes lost aircraft are eventually found FAR from where they were "supposed" to have crashed. According to him, in one case a plane thought to have gone down near Salt Lake City was actually found in the center of the Mojave Desert. He claims that once, while searching for a recent wreck, he found an old, previously unreported wreck with three people on board.

50 minutes ago, Jimmy M said:

A guy I know hunts missing aircraft. He told me that oftentimes lost aircraft are eventually found FAR from where they were "supposed" to have crashed. According to him, in one case a plane thought to have gone down near Salt Lake City was actually found in the center of the Mojave Desert. He claims that once, while searching for a recent wreck, he found an old, previously unreported wreck with three people on board.

An airplane going along under power could probably fly for a long way over flat ground. A plane going down with engine trouble in the mountains does not go far. Especially when it is flying straight into the Mogollon Rim.

The pilot bailed out because the plane could not maintain altitude and was going to crash. There was a 3000 ft high ridge in front of it.

My guess is that the aircraft is exactly where they think it is. Sitting somewhere in the woods on the SE flank of Baldy Mtn. It is the most likely spot and the only spot that makes any sense.

On 12/17/2018 at 6:04 PM, chrisski said:

Parachute Drop Location:

Google is your friend. I've been in touch with the planes owner, he's emailed me twice with info.

If you want to search the White Mountain Apache Res, you can buy hiking/camping permits cheap online.

• Like 1
  • well done 1