Nugget Shooter Forums
Trekker

New to detectoring

Hey everyone! I've been searching through the old posts on this site but I'm still overwhelmed by the quantity of manufacturers and models of detectors, not to mention all the hundreds of modifications like different coils. What would you recommend to someone just starting out nugget detecting on dry land? I don't mind something complicated, as I can dedicate the time to learn it. I just want something that works. But there are so many different detectors to choose from it's honestly overwhelming. I was looking at the Garrett AT Gold  which I like because of it's waterproofing, it would allow me to search in the rain. Would this be a good choice? Also the Minelab X-terra 705 seems to be well regarded here. I don't mind putting in the hours to learn the device but I could use some direction before dropping serious coin on these expensive pieces of equipment. Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Hello and welcome to the club. Just curious as to what you are going to be "detecting". That is pretty important when choosing the right detector. More gold than relics and coins? Depth of ground and size of gold? If you know the answer to that one of course. There are just so many variables and questions you have to ask yourself before anyone can really point you in the right direction. All detectors will find metal, but just depends on the metal your wanting find and the area. Good luck and welcome aboard, there are great folks here.

• Like 1

Gold Monster 1000 seems to be the detector to get. Much less than the bigger pulse induction detectors and it's pretty easy to use,

Besides that my only other suggestion, for a little more money, would be to buy a used Minelab GPX series detector.

If you're just starting out with the hobby you gotta make sure you actually like the art of metal detecting. The process of swinging the coil, digging targets and moving onto the next buried treasure, just waiting to be found, is what this hobby is all about.

• Like 2

My opinion is if you ar going to hunt just gold then get a gold machine , but if ya want to hunt coins / relics and some gold you can't beat an Equinox 800.

You might want to call Bill Southern (nuggetshooter) and talk to him....he has some great videos on you tube ..look up nuggetshooter and you can watch them.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Trekker said:

it would allow me to search in the rain

That`s like,  the worst idea ever  :nono:

30 minutes ago, adam said:

That`s like,  the worst idea ever  :nono:

AAAAHHH  !   Seems to me I remember sitting under a canopy waiting for the rain to stop with a couple friends of mine one rainy day while "never giving up " detecting !
AHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA  !  :yikes::25r30wi::poostorm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I too remember when it rained so hard the rain filled the washes and couldn't be crossed.  Tom and I went back to camp but those same friends stayed out and had to go back the long way.  :th_rain-umbrella:

Old Tom

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmmmmm 1

Up at Alaska Gold and Resorts in Nome, AK its always raining so you get used to it, chase some nuggets and have fun. Its not much fun detecting in the rain in AZ so go play golf instead, it never rains on a golf course.

• Haha 2
  • well done 1

I would like to do more gold hunting initially. Do you guys think the Fisher Goldbug 2 is still a good choice or is it outdated now? Would that be a good first detector for prospecting?

Edited by Trekker
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Trekker said:

I would like to do more gold hunting initially. Do you guys think the Fisher Goldbug 2 is still a good choice or is it outdated now? Would that be a good first detector for prospecting?

Bingo! The GB2 is what you need. I have found a half pound of gold with mine and I still use it every time I go prospecting. That machine will be outdated when the Corvette and Mustang are outdated.

There are better machines for certain things and certain types of ground. And after a year or two you will want to buy a PI machine. But the GB2 is a perfect place to start.

JMHO

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Trekker said:

The Goldbug 2 is an amazing machine. Ill never give mine up. It does have more of a learning curve than the new detectors though. Just older technology. I do know a lot of the seasoned fellers are swapping to the Gold Monster because of the ease of use and ground balancing capabilities, but i have yet to use one. They really like them so there is an option also. Im sure Bill can hook you up with whatever you might want, and he has the knowledge to back his sales. Reach out to him when you get ready.

Good morning Trekker,

As an an owner of both the GB2 and GM1000, I have to say the the GB2 is now settled comfortably in my closet.

The GM1000 has proven itself an outstanding detector, capable of finding gold so small that I can’t believe it registered on the GP1000, and handles hot soil quite well.

Also, you can hardly beat the price for the GM1000 technology!

Good hunting.

Sean in AZ

Edited by Sean in AZ
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Trekker said:

There are several good gold detectors out there, GB2 is one of them. The Minelab Gold Monster is another good, but better one IMO. The Minelab Equinox is another one that is both good for Coin, Gold and Relic. Do your homework and watch a LOT of youtube videos so you can understand what each can do. Bill has got some great videos out there on  both the Monster and the Equinox as well as how to hunt for gold.

IF YOU ARE NEW TO DETECTING, be patient and be persistent because there can be a big learning curve in both coin/relic AND in gold hunting. So don't get discouraged if you don't find a gold nugget your first few times out. With some folks it took some time and multiple trips to the field before they found their first nugget so there is a lot to learn in gold hunting. First thing first when you settle on a detector, get to know it, how to use it and how it responds to different targets. Recovering targets and developing your style falls in place next. Your adventure begins there.....Good Hunting!!

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:02 PM, Trekker said:

Also the Minelab X-terra 705 seems to be well regarded here. 

I agree with the recommendations above.  Stick to a detector that can sense the small gold.  There is more of it out there.  (and they will still go off on big gold in many cases)

As far as the Xterra 705.  I started out with this machine.   I personally think this detector is a piece of junk (unless you are relic hunting)  Even though Minelab markets this as a gold detector, there are waaaay better options out there.

• Like 1

just my opinion but the BEST all Round detector is The Equinox 800....love mine for sure

On 12/16/2018 at 11:02 PM, Trekker said:

Hey everyone!...

I think two of the first and most important things we need to know in order to help you are:
1) Where do you live? (The more specific the better, but area or county and state will do..)
1) Where are you planning on hunting? (You've stated gold, sooo...)

Swamp

22 hours ago, Trekker said:

I would like to do more gold hunting initially

I hesitantly agree that the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 would be a great choice. Some day you may graduate to Super Detector status, but for now, the GM1000 is a good choice.

Edited by adam
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, adam said:

I hesitantly agree that the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 would be a great choice. Some day you may graduate to Super Detector status, but for now, the GM1000 is a good choice.

W H A T????? Did you really say that Adam? Haha i agree, the monster is starting to take over.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The GB2 is an awesome machine...Been using mine successfully for 25 years and still do...I recently bought a GM1000 from Bill and love it but I'm into the learning curve on it, which is not difficult but requires concentration ... My old beat up GB2 talks to me and I can understand her lingo, even to the extent of telling bird shot and 1 grain dink nugglets apart..They both are good...If you're working under a tight budget I'd also suggest the White's line of GoldMasters, GM2, GMVSAT, GM3, And GMT...The GMVSAT is an especially good machine for a detectorist on a budget... Google Whites Detectors VSAT Manual and study ... My 2 cents .. Good luck and Cheers, Unc

Lots of good advice here. Really, all you need is a capable detector to start with and plenty of them have been noted. Detecting in the rain is easy, it's underwater target recovery that gets tricky when the water is muddy. Permafrost is just as challenging.

No matter what you buy, if you don't like the detector (or detecting) or want to try something new, you can always sell it. Detecting is far more than the right model it's also location, state of mind, persistence, knowledge, effort, time, etc. Grab a Gold Bug 2 or a Gold Monster and get started. Nothing will happen until then. Start the journey and adjust as you go. Good luck and enjoy the experiences. 

• Like 3

Hi can anyone inspect what I have to show and share Wat u think about  a rock fossil art painting stone I have

6 hours ago, Rick87 said:

Hi can anyone inspect what I have to show and share Wat u think about  a rock fossil art painting stone I have

Nope.  That would go in the Rock Fossil Art Painting Stone Forum.   We only care about gold, here.... :brows:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Rick87 said:

Welcome to the forum Rick!

I did see your photos of the painted stones, but I don't think we have any experts here for ancient rock art, especially from Australia, we do however have members here who are rather good at IDing rocks and fossils and of course most all of us know alot about gold, I would suggest taking them to a University nearby where you found them and see if they have any experts to give you an opinion or some facts on what you have found.

3 hours ago, Andyy said:

Nope.  That would go in the Rock Fossil Art Painting Stone Forum.   We only care about gold, here.... :brows:

Andyy, you know very well we don't have a "Rock Fossil Art Painting Stone Forum", rocks and fossils yes, so you shouldn't be teasing Rick with a forum we don't have!! :nono:

• Haha 2

So is there another forum or website I can display the stones I have. I need to know the exact date of how old this Flintstone is because it has a strange painting on one side and the other side looks like fossilised animal ?

Most people who start nugget hunting start with a VLF detector designed for detecting gold.  Those recommended above qualify as logical choices, especially the Equinox 800 if you want to also hunt coins/relics.  But if you want a detector that will give you, a beginner,  the very best chance to find gold I recommend a Minelab SDC 2300.  It is very simple to operate and capable of finding gold in highly mineralized areas.  VLF detectors, while economical, are highly affected by mineralization and are more successfully used by experienced detectorists.  Numberous beginners have been discouraged or given up on nugget hunting after trying initially with a VLF (myself included).