Nugget Shooter Forums

Well if i was to guess, this was pointed toward one of our members and their art. Maybe im wrong.

claretcup2.jpg

This is a Hedgehog cactus Slim. It is in the Sangre De Christo Mountains. I was hunting the Glorieta pallasite.

echin7.JPG

And an echinocereus. Rare night bloomer. This is in the Organ Mountians in Southern New Mexico.

mam10.JPG

Check out this mammillaria! I found a nugget not too far away. This one is in Hillsboro.

DSCN0851.JPG

Here is an awesome fishhook barrel. It is in the Sierra Caballos on a rich placer.

All of these are protected New Mexico Cactus Slim! Do you have any photos of New Mexico cactus to contribute to the forum? Have you taken any photos while you are out? Do you get out much these days?

• Like 2

Everybody knows - or should know - this protected New Mexico cactus. Do you know what it is Slim? It is near a famous battlefield in southern New Mexico.

DSCN0859.JPG

How about this one. Do you have any idea? It is near Silver City at an old mining camp called Georgetown. 

DSCN0083.JPG

How about this one? It is not a cactus but it is prickly. Just like you are a little prickly sometimes.

Bull Thistle 2 enhanced.jpg

Notice that instead of spending my time being a stupid tit I used that energy to contribute something. Compare and contrast this with your situation and connect the dots.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • well done 1
3 hours ago, Edge said:

Keep an eye out for this one..

220px-Lophophora_williamsii_ies.jpg

Special Place in my heart that one has.  Lophophora williamsii or peyote

• Like 1

I guess I must be clairvoyant. Who would have guessed that Bob was a cactus expert and had all those photos ready to post?
And all from rich placers??? Priceless!
Nice photos Bob!
I just did a google search for cactus photos and came up with this one...

cactus1.jpg

• Like 1
17 hours ago, nugget108 said:

Well if i was to guess, this was pointed toward one of our members and their art. Maybe im wrong.

You could be wrong but if I make a post you can bet that Bob will be there with photos and all kinds of zingers. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Edge said:

Keep an eye out for this one..

220px-Lophophora_williamsii_ies.jpg

Those don't grow in New Mexico. At least not in the wild. It is much too cold and way too high in altitude. And those in the photo are not wild. They are being grown on a San Pedro rootstock. Peyote does not grow like that naturally.

There is no "commercial" market for peyote but it is available for consumption. It grows much too slow to be harvested and has been almost completely wiped out in the very small area it grows in the US. There are rare exceptions but they are extremely rare. You can find several meteorites before you will find peyote in the wild. All peyote is cultured.

Growers graft tiny peyote sprouts (from seed) to the tricocereus  (San Pedro) cactus which is the cousin to peyote. It has a hearty root system where peyote only has a few tiny hairs for roots. It makes the peyote grow exponentially faster. You have shown us an example of that in your photo.

Virtually every peyote button consumed in the US in several decades has been harvested from a graft grown on a San Pedro cactus. 

San Pedro cactus are very common but not native. They are Peruvian cactus. They are very high in mescaline as well. 

There is a lady in Taos that is said to be the chingona of Peyoteras. She has a huge greenhouse filled with San Pedro cactus over ten feet high. Every arm is bursting with peyote buttons. She grows it legally for the Native American church. If you are looking at a peyote button there is a 99% chance she grew it. I would bet a dollar that photo is from her nursery. If not it is from one of her friends nurseries.

If peyote is used as a "sacrament" as it is intended it is legal. Just like ayahuasca and hoasca borealis. San Pedro is the original sacred cactus and is much more widely used than peyote but peyote got all the press. San Pedro is the sole source of mescaline as peyote is very rare and is tightly controlled within the circles it is grown and consumed in. Only through Peyoteros in Mexico and maybe one in Texas can wild peyote be obtained for any amount of money. 

Peyote is just like gold nuggets or meteorites. Maybe even rarer. It has to be one of the most precious finds a guy could ever make. 

Fun fact -

San Pedro is a common landscape plant in southern Arizona. There is a famous median in Phoenix that is covered with tricocereus bridgesii, a very potent species of San Pedro. Most of the powdered mescaline ever produced came from cuttings taken from that highway median. 

Here are a few San Pedro cactus blooming on my front porch. The tops are just over 6 feet from the deck.

SAM_0626.JPG

SAM_0642.JPG

They are a night blooming cactus. This is the night they opened.

SAM_0609.JPG

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Dakota Slim said:

I guess I must be clairvoyant. Who would have guessed that Bob was a cactus expert and had all those photos ready to post?
And all from rich placers??? Priceless!

I use cactus in my art so it stands to reason I would photograph blooming cactus in the areas I hunt. And since I hunt placer fields, strewn fields and mineralized areas most of these photos came from those places. Imagine that! 

Do you take photographs of the cactus in the areas you hunt? Do you hunt?

Here is a photo of some sweet sotol that I took on a trip to the Sierra Caballo. (a rich placer field by the way Slim!) It was on the last evening of my dig and the sun was going down. A prime example of a protected New Mexico "cactus".

SAM_0106.JPG

These are the things I like to share. Compare and contrast this with what motivates you to post Slim. I am sure everyone who is reading this is. 

As long as you go on with this attitude you will keep looking like an unhappy crank with nothing better to do than get pissy over my posts. And since I live my life outdoors doing cool things and making cool things I have an endless supply of neat photos and stories. Not a bunch of jealous beta whine that you are offering up.

I still have the words to that exorcism I did on you years ago. I can chase those demons out of you by simply doing it again. I will let you pay it off a little at a time and not even charge any interest.

Think about it Slim. It is a helluva deal. Happiness is precious and you obviously ain't got some of that.

23 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I use cactus in my art so it stands to reason I would photograph blooming cactus in the areas I hunt. And since I hunt placer fields, strewn fields and mineralized areas most of these photos came from those places. Imagine that! 

Do you take photographs of the cactus in the areas you hunt? Do you hunt?

Do you have photos of the protected cacti you have disfigured to make your "art"? 

Jeez Bob, looks like you better start posting pics of artifacts and coins and everything else thats protected that we have ALL found. AND REBURIED OF COURSE AFTER WE TOOK PICS. Im sure your cactus art is the least of anyones worries. Cool pics too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's great Bob. How about some more photos of antiquity act bottles and broken beer bottles.... :nono:
Oh, and while you are at it, I made a new post about the largest diamond find in North America's history. :wee:
You should probably stick your nose in there too. :idea:

3 minutes ago, nugget108 said:

Jeez Bob, looks like you better start posting pics of artifacts and coins and everything else thats protected that we have ALL found. AND REBURIED OF COURSE AFTER WE TOOK PICS. Im sure your cactus art is the least of anyones worries. Cool pics too. 

I was just going to say that. 

You have really worked yourself up into a lather over me haven't you Slim? :laught16:

At your request. For your case files...

I just found these a couple days ago. I have not dated them yet but I know they both are Corning glass, machine made and probably made prior to 1950. 

I found them while shooting glass bottles with my S&W .44 mag revolver. I went out to disfigure some cactus and litter the area. I wound up committing the unholy atrocity of picking up these bottles while I was at it. I could only take these small ones though because my pickup was just too full of disfigured cactus.:25r30wi:

DSCN0547.JPG

The one on the left is a standard medicine bottle and probably held some sort of small pill. The one on the right is a perfume bottle. 

Have you ever found any interesting bottles Slim? Have you taken a look at the nifty antique bottle website hosted by the BLM? There is a link to it in that last post of yours I hijacked. Here it is again. https://sha.org/bottle/

It is a treasure trove of information and a great tool to date antique bottles. You could learn a whole lot about bottles by taking the time to read some of that info!

Or you can spend your time dampening a panty over what I am doing. Either way it is all good! :idunno:

See ya Slim!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Bob 100 years ago there was a place in Tucson just off I-10 as it bend to the north.  That species of cactus could be found there.  It was a rarity  thing even back then. 

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, homefire said:

Bob 100 years ago there was a place in Tucson just off I-10 as it bend to the north.  That species of cactus could be found there.  It was a rarity  thing even back then. 

I have always heard those stories. I have never seen it anywhere except in a greenhouse in Taos.  I know it exists in south Texas but I have never seen any first hand. Nor have I ever seen any for sale. I know people who have access to it within "the church" but I have never experienced it.

My feelings are that any peyote found growing in the wild should be left there.  A person would have no reason to cut it. It is just darn near extinct in the wild. And as you point out it was always a rarity.

If a fellow wants to have that experience it is easy. Let the San Pedro do the work and leave the peyote alone. Besides, if you get caught with a peyote button you will be arrested, given a forced injection while chained to a table, sleep on a mat in a filthy steel dog bed and then have to spend $1000 getting unscrewed. Talk about a bad side effect!

San Pedro is completely legal to grow and you see it everywhere. No problems.

Dry whiskey is good medicine. It is a whole lot closer to going to church than going to a party IMHO.

And just to make sure to stay on topic, the Lophophora Williamsii cactus is not on the New Mexico protected cactus list at all. So if I did find some out there I could legally make a bug out of it and sell to the touristas.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

Bob, that San Pedro display on your front porch is awesome! We have a couple in the yard that look similar. I'm going to have to try and identify them now.

Yep, by golly, it pays to know your cactus. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dakota Slim said:

Yep, by golly, it pays to know your cactus. 

You said a mouthful there Slim! I couldn't agree more!

Did you know that mammillaria macromersis contains an alkaloid that will induce sleep for long periods? They call it the corypantha macromersis nowdays. It is the Dona Ana cactus.  

It is a very common clump cactus in the Arizona and New Mexico deserts. Indigenous ethnobotanists in generations past by would prepare a poultice that would somnolize and sedate the peppiest papoose.

It is said that a tea prepared from this cactus will make some people sleep for 3-5 days. They are researching it at UNM right now. They have extracted an alkaloid from the cactus, macromerine, and it is being given to selected patients to observe its effects.

Cactus Ambien bro. Cambien. The velvet sledgehammer. Pretty heavy stuff huh?

• Like 2
4 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

Bob, that San Pedro display on your front porch is awesome! We have a couple in the yard that look similar. I'm going to have to try and identify them now.

They grow all over as landscape plants. The grow fast and are hearty as long as they don't freeze hard. Columnar, 5-7 ribs, tiny thorns. 

They are kinda like meteorites. Once you get used to spotting them they almost stand out. There is lots of info on the interweb.

Sometimes you will see giant clumps with hundreds of arms growing in a mass. When they get a spot they like they just take over. And they grow fast. A big plant can have a half dozen arms that each grow 18" a year. So when they like a spot they grow a huge family. And like cholla when the arms get heavy and fall down they root and grow more arms from that fallen piece. So the big tall healthy ones clone themselves into thousands of plants and make a huge family.

So once you find a big one you can generally get a cutting. Many were used as landscaping back in the 80's. There are huge clumps in front of houses and businesses all over Arizona and California. There was a thousand arms on a San Pedro 12 feet high in front of a motel in Phoenix many years ago. That is where my first cutting came from. If you keep your eye out you will see one somewhere you can grab an arm from.

They are easy to find at Wal Mart and at a nursery too, but the big old mamma cactus will give you big beautiful columns and flowers. Cuttings from an established plant are generally healthier than rooted greenhouse cuttings in a pot. 

Any piece over a foot long roots easy. Even if you turn it upside down. Just let it dry for three or four months on the shelf and then set it on the warm ground. It will root in a week and stand by itself in a month. It will be growing a half inch a day within three months. They are amazing. And once they are established they will really throw out a flower show every year for you.

• Thanks 1

This sort of matches your description, but the spines seem smaller than some of the pics I saw when I googled it. 

Really cool cactus. It's sad the current resident won't take care of it. It's dying back and big stalks are crashing to the ground. :grr01:

IMAG0658.jpg

IMAG0659.jpg