Nugget Shooter Forums

HeyHey Bob,

.      Great photos!  About a century ago when I was in college, a buddy of mine in the same apartments, had a couple of pards who would visit annually on their way to LA, after harvesting two duffle bags of "Yote" in NM.  ( no lie)   OMG, those guys were different - very Carlos Casteneda, if you know what I mean.  I saw the stuff, it was real deal.   I've lived in Arizona my whole life, and never seen it in the wild, but since I HAVE seen a lot of exotic cacti, It is certainly possible.  I have 5 colors of Peruvian Echinopsis night bloomers.  It was a tough summer, my saffron orange ones wouldn't bloom!   My pride is in my crested myrtillo cactus geometrizens ( not sure on spelling) from deep down in San Luis Petosi.  They are huge and always provide me with a tasty crop of "garambullos" after they bloom their tiny white flowers.

Best Regards, Ben

• Like 1

Hey Ben! How the heck are you! 

I don't know about the peyote in New Mexico. It is so freeze sensitive. But there have always been stories. I have no idea where it could possibly grow besides right here around Las Cruces.

I have always heard the devil claws called garambullos. Do they call the myrtle cactus fruit garambullos too? 

I had a crazy myrtillo cactus that had a bizarre double crest on it. I grew it for years. I don't think it ever bloomed though. 

myrtle.jpg

1 hour ago, Regmaglitch said:

...About a century ago when I was in college, a buddy of mine in the same apartments, had a couple of pards who would visit annually on their way to LA, after harvesting two duffle bags of "Yote" in NM.  ( no lie)   OMG, those guys were different - very Carlos Casteneda, if you know what I mean...

Hmmmm, I wonder.. Could they have been..?? Fits the Casteneda vibe for sure... Anyhowww.. Sounds exactly like two dudes whom I fleetingly met at someone else's place one evening in SF.. Only had one duffel though.. That would have been summer '70 I think,  plus or minus a year.. What are the odds..?

• 1 month later...

Hey Bob, How are you?  We go up to Taos every couple of years.  We always stop at Dean’s memorial, then have lunch at Dion’s, there on Central.

My myrtillo’s bloom every year, and grow constantly.

2B7AC79F-D94A-4153-8AD4-2A8C066BBBC8.jpeg

• Like 1