Nugget Shooter Forums

The Metal Detectorists Creed

DOC

As I am laid up with having my right hip pinned, I had my left one done last year at this same time, I am missing my metal detector.

I don't think it is any accident that a lot of people who metal detect have rather interesting and perhaps tumultuous histories.  We have many vets, and law enforcement, many type A personalities.  It's pretty safe to say there are not a lot of namby pampy's involved in Metal Detecting.  There is a certain personality type that is drawn to this hobby, and for most of us, it's not just a hobby it's an obsession, a healthy obsession.

Maybe this writing will not apply to everyone that swings a metal detector, but I know from talking to many other detectorists, this will "hit home."

This is modeled after the Rifleman's Creed.  "This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine..."

© 2018 G.M. "Doc" Lousignont

This is my metal detector. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My metal detector is one of my best friends. It brings much joy to my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Without me, my metal detector is useless. Without my metal detector, I am useless at finding nature's treasures left in the earth for me. I must use my metal detector with dogged determination. I must be more diligent with my metal detector than others who use their metal detectors. I must find the treasures that are hidden in spots that my fellow detectorists are too lazy to search for.

My metal detector and I know that what counts in treasure hunting is not the number of hours we spend, nor the number of times we swing our coil, nor the endless pieces of trash we dig. We know what is important is the research, knowledge, experience and persistence of swinging our metal detector over areas that are most likely to possess the treasure we seek.

My metal detector is as human, as I, because it talks to me with an understanding of my inner self. Thus, I will treat it as my brother and
my friend. There are times when memories of things in the past trouble my mind. My metal detector understands, and is able to vanquish the demons that threaten to consume my peace of mind. My metal detector brings me peace, it makes me smile, it soothes my soul. I will learn its weaknesses, as it has learned mine. Its strength, its parts, its accessories, its features and capabilities. I will keep my metal detector maintained and ready, even as I am ready to head out on another quest for adventure. We will become part of each other for together our passion for life is far greater than when we are apart.

Before God, I swear this creed. My metal detector and I are the defenders of the environment. We will find and remove harmful trash from our land. We will leave the areas we wander better than we found them. We will do no harm. We will properly dispose of the trash and debris, lead and scrap that we uncover.

With my metal detector, I am the master of all that I seek. My metal detector in many ways is the savior of my life. The subtle sound of the threshold has calmed my troubled mind too many times to count. The little pieces of gold and treasure my metal detector unearths lightens my spirit and invigorates my psychological well-being.

There are many metal detectors, but this one is mine, and I am  healthier in mind and body because of it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Doc,

Great Detector Creed.... Hope you heal fast, and get back into the field before the heat comes back....

Dave.

That's a great statement of the Detectorist's Creed Doc... Plus it confirms that we all are as crazy as $2 goats!!! ... I loved it and trying to figure out how to put it on a T-shirt! ... Cheers and Merry Christmas, Doc and All!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DOC said:

As I am laid up with having my right hip pinned, I had my left one done last year at this same time, I am missing my metal detector.

I don't think it is any accident that a lot of people who metal detect have rather interesting and perhaps tumultuous histories.  We have many vets, and law enforcement, many type A personalities.  It's pretty safe to say there are not a lot of namby pampy's involved in Metal Detecting.  There is a certain personality type that is drawn to this hobby, and for most of us, it's not just a hobby it's an obsession, a healthy obsession.

Maybe this writing will not apply to everyone that swings a metal detector, but I know from talking to many other detectorists, this will "hit home."

This is modeled after the Rifleman's Creed.  "This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine..."

© 2018 G.M. "Doc" Lousignont

This is my metal detector. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My metal detector is one of my best friends. It brings much joy to my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Without me, my metal detector is useless. Without my metal detector, I am useless at finding nature's treasures left in the earth for me. I must use my metal detector with dogged determination. I must be more diligent with my metal detector than others who use their metal detectors. I must find the treasures that are hidden in spots that my fellow detectorists are too lazy to search for.

My metal detector and I know that what counts in treasure hunting is not the number of hours we spend, nor the number of times we swing our coil, nor the endless pieces of trash we dig. We know what is important is the research, knowledge, experience and persistence of swinging our metal detector over areas that are most likely to possess the treasure we seek.

My metal detector is as human, as I, because it talks to me with an understanding of my inner self. Thus, I will treat it as my brother and
my friend. There are times when memories of things in the past trouble my mind. My metal detector understands, and is able to vanquish the demons that threaten to consume my peace of mind. My metal detector brings me peace, it makes me smile, it soothes my soul. I will learn its weaknesses, as it has learned mine. Its strength, its parts, its accessories, its features and capabilities. I will keep my metal detector maintained and ready, even as I am ready to head out on another quest for adventure. We will become part of each other for together our passion for life is far greater than when we are apart.

Before God, I swear this creed. My metal detector and I are the defenders of the environment. We will find and remove harmful trash from our land. We will leave the areas we wander better than we found them. We will do no harm. We will properly dispose of the trash and debris, lead and scrap that we uncover.

With my metal detector, I am the master of all that I seek. My metal detector in many ways is the savior of my life. The subtle sound of the threshold has calmed my troubled mind too many times to count. The little pieces of gold and treasure my metal detector unearths lightens my spirit and invigorates my psychological well-being.

There are many metal detectors, but this one is mine, and I am  healthier in mind and body because of it.

Outstanding! A big 10-4 and Semper Fi to you Doc. "Once a Detectorist, Always a Detectorist" . . .