Nugget Shooter Forums

detecting boots

Gold Finder

These boots are awesome and completely metal free.  They are great for "normal" detecting, and are very light.  However, not sure how good they would be for extreme long distance hikes.  I probably would try it but...... 

https://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en/8"-tactical-sport-boot/20073M.html?dwvar_20073M_color=E02260#cgid=men-style-boots&start=1

Don't get any of the side zips.  They say metal free but the zipper has metal in it.  I tested with my pin-pointer and had to go through a couple return processes.  However, the customer service is fantastic and due to their error shipped overnight the boots to me while I was traveling.

• Like 1

I have no metal boots.  Bates.  In black and camel color.

Tell Bill what you need and I will drop ship them.  Even though it appears these boots have metal eyelets, they do not.  They are made of a composite material there is absolutely ZERO metal in either of these boots.

I  have the old style Black 2280,  They are waterproof they are not insulated but they are hot on the summer.  These have NO ZIPPERS!  Zippers have metal in them.  These are close outs at $79.95 plus s&h

image.png

The others are the desert tan EO8670  $107.  retail $149.  These boots are specifically designed for HIGH HEAT, they are not waterproof.  NO ZIPPER.

image.png

I have most sizes in stock including WIDES.  The Black boots have limited sizes because they have been discontinued.

Doc

• Like 1

The Bates boots are good.  I wore them for years and you get a good deal through Doc's.  I, however, have come to  prefer Rockport anti-magnetic boots (stock number Men's RK6640). They were designed for airport and security personnel who need to travel through metal detectors often and/or for industrial personnel who work around electricity.  They also have super strong soles and composite toe guards to protect against accidental crushing injuries such as when rolling boulders.  My Bates boots do not have such protective toe guards.  The Rockports are more expensive than Bates, however.  A lighter, shorter alternative are Carhartt's cross-trek shoes -- entirely metal free.  I use them more and more when I detect for longer distances -- a couple of pounds lighter makes a big difference, yet the soles are pretty stiff and give great arch support without the need for inserts.

Personally I appreciate the safety feature of a protected toe, but I can't wear them.  Constantly going down hill always gives me blisters on the side of my foot where the toe cap is.

The most important feature of both of the boots I carry is that the tongue is gusseted almost all the way to within 1 inch of the top of the boot.  This is extremely important because we kick so much dirt.  It keep the dirt and rocks out of the boot because they can not get in.  Wear a boot that is not gusseted and after have to stop 8 times in a day to unlace your boot and dump debris out, you will appreciate the gusseted tongue.

Doc

image.png

The snake gators I have would not cover the non-leather part of the boot on the foot.  I've only needed the gators once though.  Aside from the snakes once, the gators have comein very handy to keep the thorns out of the boot.  There's other gators you can get that cover that part of the foot.

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:52 AM, chrisski said:

The snake gators I have would not cover the non-leather part of the boot on the foot.  I've only needed the gators once though.  Aside from the snakes once, the gators have comein very handy to keep the thorns out of the boot.  There's other gators you can get that cover that part of the foot.

If these are being used during snake season, I would get thicker leather boots.  I use Avenger 6 boots from workbootsusa.  They are about $95 and have a composite toe.  They have NO METAL and they take a beating when you are kicking rocks.  You can walk through cholla without puncturing them.  And if your current boots can't do this, then they may not stop a snake bite. 

They are a bit heavier, but you are a prospector.  You are probably used to a little pain and agony.  These boots shouldn't bother you.

• Haha 1

To make my leather a little tougher, I spray it with a light coating of clear truck liner.  I would like something better like whatever Courdura is sprayed with, but I haven't found anything better.

Edit:  I like the tip on the avenger boots.  They are a little short for me.  If those are 6", I must like the 12" military style boots.

Edited by chrisski

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 7:32 PM, chrisski said:

To make my leather a little tougher, I spray it with a light coating of clear truck liner.  I would like something better like whatever Courdura is sprayed with, but I haven't found anything better.

Edit:  I like the tip on the avenger boots.  They are a little short for me.  If those are 6", I must like the 12" military style boots.

Yep, I have to wear my gators during snake season.  But usually the snake goes for the toes or ankle, is what I have seen on videos.

My only encounter with a rattler and the gators on was at 4 am on a dark morning.  I heard it rattle and move away from me, and I don't know if I kicked it or not, but if I didn't, I was within inches.  I also don't know if he snapped at me.  I certainly did not feel or hear it.  He was just as scared of me as I was of him.  I always wear them now.

• Like 2