Nugget Shooter Forums
Lunk

Franconia Hunt

Got out to Franconia early this week. My main objective of course was to score some nice space rocks, but I also wanted to try out White’s new Goldmaster 24k VLF unit to see how well its proprietary XGB automatic ground tracking would handle the extreme variable ground in the north half of the strewn field. Anyone who’s searched this area with a VLF detector knows how tedious it can be dealing with the endless volcanic hot rocks, and while the 24k handled the ground matrix extremely well and running a low sensitivity eleminated a lot of the hot rocks, there still remained plenty of them to deal with. Although I did find one half-gram iron with the 24k, with all the hot rocks it was hitting I just couldn’t cover enough ground to increase my odds of making a good find.

1222E12C-6C21-4DA5-B060-D1EEDF950B34.jpeg

As many of us detector operators know, in hot rock hell pulse-induction and zero-voltage transmission technologies are king. So I put away the VLF and brought out the Minelab GPZ 7000 equipped with the 19” coil for maximum ground coverage...time to get serious! With a quick adjustment I was able to ignore all but the largest and most insidious hot rocks and cover a ton of ground, netting me several small irons and 2 stones at 27 grams and 75 grams. But the best part was just enjoying the peaceful serenity while roaming the wide open spaces of the Franconia strewn field, and even spotting a wild burro.

2BBEC876-4FC9-4716-9D2A-F8D3A621662B.jpeg

C8300F4D-ED9F-47EA-A6F2-587994EEEAFE.jpeg

C02D5037-1FC2-49FB-807D-2B14BF79D1C5.jpeg

F9A8751A-F9F5-4E8B-A825-C6D98F63B49E.jpeg

Edited by Lunk
  • Like 12
  • wow 1

Thanks Frank. Actually someone hooked up with Fred before I could, so maybe next time.

• Like 1

Nice finds, Jason!  That's a pretty chondrite, and some good sized irons.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Mike! The name’s Keith, actually; I remember running into you out there a couple years ago in the subdivision on the north side.

Nice finds. Congrats. Did you find the two large pieces specking? Or were they buried?

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Morlock said:

Did you find the two large pieces specking? Or were they buried?

All my finds were buried, with the 75 g stone being the deepest at 8".

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Lunk said:

Thanks Mike! The name’s Keith, actually; I remember running into you out there a couple years ago in the subdivision on the north side.

Ooops, my bad!  For some reason I thought Jayray posted the original... that's what happens when I look at the forum on my phone. :mornincoffee:

• Haha 1

Keith,

Great finds, are you headed down towards the Q next??

• Thanks 1

I’m in Q now, Dave. There’s a monthly QMDC club coin hunt on Saturday I’ll be attending.

• Like 1