Nugget Shooter Forums
L Prock

Got a specimen

Had the monster out for a couple of hours and was having no luck, lots of iron. Then hit a bigger target,  it was bouncing between iron and gold.  Few inches down on top of bed rock a muddy chunky rock came out and I could see a little gold showing. Washed it off and it's a real beauty. 

Total weight is 16.6 grams, did the gravity  tests and seems there's 7 grams gold. 

20181211_145458.jpg

20181211_145506.jpg

• Like 16
  • well done 4
  • wow 2

Mariposa, Ca area.

Like to get opinions on do you clean it or let it be natural.  Looks a bit fragile. I did break a small piece of gold off when I dropped it.  

And how do you value specimens?

A real beautiful specimen, I myself would just give a  light brush in some water and leave it at that.

• Like 1

That is a really nice specimen, congrats sir.  Just my opinion but I'd leave it as is, maybe let it soak in water to help clean it up but I would not do anything more than that.

• Like 2

Congratulations!!  That thing looks 10X more fragile than most I have seen.  I can’t believe that piece sticking out didn’t snap right off.  I would scrub it gently with a toothbrush and warm water then put it in some sort of display cube.  ✌🏻

Beautiful Mariposa Co AU!!

Most excellent speci..! :yesss:

I'm pretty much in agreement with the others re light dusting and done due to perceived fragility.. The only thing I even might consider at some point up the road is there are non-destructive methods for whitening quartz and lightening stains.. However, if the majority of what's visible is dirt that ends up being removed during initial light-brushing-in-water phase (which is how things appear,) I most likely would go no further.. There's much to be appreciated and admired re speci au natural.. Or, in other words: Ultra white teeth look great on a twenty-five year old model.. On Joe Biden? -- not so much..

Swamp

• Like 1

soaking in white vinegar will help with the stains, without eating the quartz...

I prefer natural...

thanks for answering, some folks won't.

fred 

• Like 2

Nice specimen !!  :yesss:

I've mentioned this before here and there....

Try soaking it in a solution of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide.  :idea:

Get a small glass that your nugget will fit in and fill it with enough peroxide to completely submerge the specimen.  Then pour in a couple teaspoons of baking soda.  You'll want to have a little baking soda left undissolved on the bottom after vigorous stirring.  Then carefully place your specimen into the solution and watch the bubbles carry the dirt away.  It will only remove dirt and leave the speci otherwise unchanged.  I give all my gold a bath using this method.  I like the 'natural' look as well.  :)

Congrats and continued good luck !!  :thumbsupanim

Luke

• Like 5

Really nice specimen. Congrats

I had a lot of success using Whink to clesn up and brighten the quartz. Simply put the specimen into a small clear plastic jar and cover with Whink. Watch for the next few days. Works pretty slow but very satisfied with the results.

• Like 1

I'd rinse off the mud and call it good. 

Congrats on a great find!

I prefer the rust on the quartz. Its looks natural. A soak in diluted muriatic acid will clean it up and not effect the gold or the quartz. I refine chemically, I know we don't discuss that here, just a little background as to how I know.

• Like 1

As fragile as that (lovely) specie looks, I wouldn't be surprised if more mini chunks of it are lying in close proximity to where you found it. Hit the spot again, and let us know what you find. HH Jim

Thanks everyone. Let it soak in peroxide and baking soda and an going to leave alone and find something to store it in.  And will hit the area again, it definitely doesn't look like it traveled much. 

20181212_163051.jpg

20181212_163114.jpg

• Like 3
  • well done 3

A ripper for sure, good on ya. Keep it as is, nice and chunky. Go to Amazon for a nice glass dome display. HF acid has it's benefits on some specimens. Your's doesn't need it. My first as well.

1 side a.jpg

Edited by GeoJack
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, L Prock said:

how do you value specimens?

Value is in the eye of the beholder.  But for a beauty like your's at least 30% over spot based on the total weight wouldn't be farfetched.  Maybe more from an ardent buyer.  Congrats on such a fine conquest and thanks for sharing!  I can just imagine that Gold Monster pegging in BOTH directions!  Kinda the way my heart would have been jumping!

• Haha 1

Yup, a real pretty one.........

Holy cow another great one! Its a speci fiesta! Who's next?!

Congrats on such a great find.... hope Santa brings you more...

Dave

That is really a nice specimen.  I'm noticing the quartz it is attached to is very white and have seen a lot of these on websites.  . Is it whats called bull quartz?   I been told to usually look  for dirtier  guartz  with black and red inclusions in it.  What type of quartz has the best probability of holding gold, dirtier looking or bull?