Nugget Shooter Forums
azdigger

Ham Radios

This is my radio room for now...Something to do when I can't get out to hunt.

radio corner.JPG

radios.JPG

Edited by azdigger
  • Like 3

I have made contacts all over the world  , But my best one was the Space Station...way cool.

• well done 1

I had a HAM radio, but it was spiral cut, we ate for Christmas last year! Those knobs are hard to chew!. Ha! Ha! Grubstake

Edited by grubstake
  • Haha 1

I see some of the older military radios for sale.  I was eying a PRC-104 for sale at a reasonable price, and it transmits in the 2-30 MHZ range, which I think crosses over most of the HAM radio system.  It's also upper and lower sideband compatible.  I remember hearing the duck sound and switching sidebands and the coms would be clear.  Whatever the military used, the civilians were opposite.  The old, functional military radio would be for a collectors item.  It transmits at up to 20 watts, but I am not sure what Ham rafio uses.

Ham radios can use up to 1500 ways legal limit.   I use 100 watts most of the time.

If I had more room the collectable radios would be fun.  I am getting ready to put up a 32ft  high antenna in a few days.

Always fun to listen around a see what all you can hear.

1 hour ago, azdigger said:

Ham radios can use up to 1500 ways legal limit.   I use 100 watts most of the time.

If I had more room the collectable radios would be fun.  I am getting ready to put up a 32ft  high antenna in a few days.

Always fun to listen around a see what all you can hear.

1500 watts is a lot.  I used to get 1200 mile transmissions with the 20 watts and a V antenne, and some guys said they could get much farther.  1500 watts could be heard at the moon!! The 32' antenna seems good.  My Grandfather had an antenna in the suburbs, and the neighbors heard him over their TVs when he was transmitting.  Not sure how strong the amp was though.  Nowadays, very few listen to the TV over antenna and if they do digital is different.  He used to get postcards from all over the world.

I have battery back up plus solar to recharge battery.....even have a complete portable unit antenna and all  for remote locations.

• Like 1