Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums

Bing (Bong) the skunk is dead!!


Recommended Posts

Wow, great finds, congrats, brown nugget. Were you in the deep gold setting , or just high yield??

Dave

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LowPoint said:

When you are subtracting 25.97 from 30.1 what does the 25.97 represent??? to arrive at the oz gold????

That is not a subtraction sign.  That is a division sign.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DolanDave said:

Wow, great finds, congrats, brown nugget. Were you in the deep gold setting , or just high yield??

Dave

High Yield, General and I mess with the sensitivity which I’m probably crazy for.  I was at 4 due to it being a shallow wash at least in the middle.  The banks were deeper with overburden.  I will usually be in sensitivity of 12 and the if I make another pass go higher just to mix it up.  To make a short answer long.😴

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mn90403 said:

That is not a subtraction sign.  That is a division sign.

UUUPPPSSSS,  You are Right,.......................But Why is there a "constant" of 25.97 ..."DIVIDED".... into 30.1??????   Where did that number come from, ...why isn't it 25.98, 99, or 26.00 etc., etc, etc?????  Is this a grab-bag number for the day?????  

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I don’t want to be an over poster but that constant thing really intrigues me.  My brain hurts from all of the searching and key words I put in on google.  All I know is Rob used it also as an example on his forum and I trust him.  I hope someone will solve this mystery.  I included Robs math below he did on a nice piece he found. 

Brownie

F96835F6-2FE6-4D08-A9AA-19609FA0D117.jpeg

0A43E80D-4130-43DF-A3A8-78D427C24935.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, there is a bit of a 'problem' with this type of math calculation for gold in our specimens.  Here it goes.

We all know that gold nuggets are not pure gold.  Many of them have a percentage of silver and/or other metals.  I have a specimen with 8 oz of 'gold' in it when calculated the way it has been done in this example.  The 'true' math would be to shoot the gold with an XRF gun and figure the percentage of other metals and put each of those specific gravities into the formula.  I'd get just about the same answer if I figure 8 toz of 92-93% gold which would make it closer to 7.5 troy oz of pure gold. (Remember those pesky troy ounces?)

Mitchel

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, LowPoint said:

...But Why is there a "constant" of 25.97 ..."DIVIDED".... into 30.1??????   Where did that number come from, ...why isn't it 25.98, 99, or 26.00 etc., etc, etc?????  Is this a grab-bag number for the day?????  

I'd say yes, it is a grab-bag number, Gary..

I screwed around with this 'math' for about an hour.. The only thing that comes even close to making sense to me is it's a good mid-to-lower-end number for the approximate percentage of gold in SW US gold nuggets, not including galena.. Eighty-four percent pure sounds right enough.. I imagine the constant is altered in areas where the % is known to run higher.. But I for one am from the school of lower expectations, so I'd just as soon have a lower estimation than something high-graded..

Swamp

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, LowPoint said:

UUUPPPSSSS,  You are Right,.......................But Why is there a "constant" of 25.97 ..."DIVIDED".... into 30.1??????   Where did that number come from, ...why isn't it 25.98, 99, or 26.00 etc., etc, etc?????  Is this a grab-bag number for the day?????  

That number is the result of a very large calculation that assumes a whole lot of variables. It keeps you from having to take into consideration a lot of things in a calculation. Without the constant the calculation you would need to do would be too long and too time consuming. It would demand that you be adept at higher math.

The constant represents a whole bunch of math that enables a simple equation. All you have to do is plug in a couple of numbers and a simple equation spits out a pretty good estimate.

They don't just pick it out of the air. The constant is the product of a much larger equation.

Just as π wont work if you round to 3. Or why Euler's Constant  is 2.71828182845904523536028747135. A constant represents math that has already been done for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

That number is the result of a very large calculation that assumes a whole lot of variables. It keeps you from having to take into consideration a lot of things in a calculation. Without the constant the calculation you would need to do would be too long and too time consuming. It would demand that you be adept at higher math.

The constant represents a whole bunch of math that enables a simple equation. All you have to do is plug in a couple of numbers and a simple equation spits out a pretty good estimate.

They don't just pick it out of the air. The constant is the product of a much larger equation.

Just as π wont work if you round to 3. Or why Euler's Constant  is 2.71828182845904523536028747135. A constant represents math that has already been done for you.

"THANKS" Mitchel, Swamp, and Bedrock Bob for your research and explanations regarding this constant.  I think you all arrived at pretty much the same conclusion when you said that it was: a percentage that allows for other metals ( percent of purity, or "approximate percentage of gold") ,  and / or a "pretty good estimate" to use in place of doing more specific, yet more labor intensive math calculations.  I now am "ENLIGHTENED" regarding  the constant, 25.97 and it's significance in the calculation.  Although I don't know when I would ever use this calculation as none of the nuggets that I have ever found are specimens from where I hunt.  And when I price and sell my nuggets I usually sell above spot,....or I don't sell at all.  Thanks Again,  Gary

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work fellas.  This gold looks pretty pure.  I’m guessing between 8 and 25 karat.  I’ve always wanted to perform this test and mission accomplished plus I learned quite a bit.  

Im heading back at 3am on Friday to see if there’s more to this story.  I have my dry washer already loaded, geology reports, images and dowsing rodes.  What could go wrong🤷🏼‍♂️.  If I find something I’ll report back. 

Brownie 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2018 at 6:44 PM, Brownnugget said:

Nice work fellas.  This gold looks pretty pure.  I’m guessing between 8 and 25 karat.  I’ve always wanted to perform this test and mission accomplished plus I learned quite a bit.  

Im heading back at 3am on Friday to see if there’s more to this story.  I have my dry washer already loaded, geology reports, images and dowsing rodes.  What could go wrong🤷🏼‍♂️.  If I find something I’ll report back. 

Brownie 

Awesome find!! Hope you report back with more of those.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...