Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Saul R W

A traveling fool ...

In the words of my favorite hippie cowboy singer, I'm on the road again, back to the land of ticks, chiggers and toothless maidens (with apologies to the minority of my former neighbors who don't chew tobacco, don't smoke meth, and who actually have 15 or 20 teeth per head), to haul a second load of stuff I probably don't need.

Measure twice, move the trailer once.  I really need to remember that one.  In preparing for this latest trip, predawn this morning I towed my live-in horse trailer, which has had the horse section converted to a workshop, over to a house I bought to rehab and sell.  It turns out the clearance between house and neighbor's fence is precisely 1.25 inches too narrow for me to get the trailer into the back yard without disassembling something (the fence seems the most likely victim), so for now I rehauled the trailer back to the senior citizen RV park where I've been staying for the past couple of weeks, where the neighbors hate me for the rattling and banging of equipment strapped to the truck bed (park rule #83, as one neighbor has reminded me half a dozen times, prohibits the outside storage of tools or personal effects, including items visible in vehicle beds, and #178 proscribes dirty vehicles within park boundaries, which requires a trip to the car wash before coming home, every single time, six days a week).  An F550 doesn't blend well with golf carts, a converted horse trailer doesn't blend well with $250k wheeled palaces, and I don't blend well with shuffleboard-playing CA retirees, but they'll have to put up with staring at the horse trailer and stacked buckets filled with unsanctioned dirt until I get back from MO and figure out how to shoehorn the trailer into the new shack's rear yard.

I shall post less while on the road, so our esteemed moderators will enjoy a hard-earned breather.  Happy fifth day of Chanukah, y'all, and happy prospecting, too ...

• Like 10

Safe travels to you Saul. Be careful driving and see ya back here soon.

• Like 2

So I won't be running into you around town for a day or two ... whatever shall I do? :rolleyes: Safe travels to you Saul ... Happy Chanukah right back at you! ... and here all this time I thought it was spelled 'Hanukkah' ... I guess we 'Americanized' it as we do many things! :inocent:

• Like 1

Be careful on the road, and pick up a new tape measure!!

I actually like your being on the forum, you and a few others keep me on my toes and sometimes expand my vocabulary by looking up certain words posted so I really know what ya'll are saying, I can almost speak Yiddish now!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Mike Furness said:

So I won't be running into you around town for a day or two ... whatever shall I do? :rolleyes: Safe travels to you Saul ... Happy Chanukah right back at you! ... and here all this time I thought it was spelled 'Hanukkah' ... I guess we 'Americanized' it as we do many things! :inocent:

If you ever figure out the proper spelling in English, let me know.  I've seen Chanukah spelled at least six ways in prominent Anglo-Jewish publications over the years.  Accurate transliteration from a Semitic language that predates ancient Rome and Greece by thousands of years, and with no English phonetic equivalents for several letters, just ain't possible.  It's like trying to reproduce a classical painting using a paintgun at 50 paces.  

I'm very certain we'll collide a time or two once I'm back, Mike.  You're a gentleman, and an interesting fellow with whom to converse, and a pleasure to run into, online and in person.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Au Seeker said:

Be careful on the road, and pick up a new tape measure!!

I actually like your being on the forum, you and a few others keep me on my toes and sometimes expand my vocabulary by looking certain words post so I really know what ya'll are saying, I can almost speak Yiddish now!

New eyes would profit me more than a new tape.  A new brain wouldn't do me any damage, either.

As for vocabulary, I keep a pile of dictionaries within reach.  Blame Webster, et al, for anything I post that isn't monosyllabic.  English is a tough racket.  My muddah tongue, once a word gets spelled, it can never be spelled any other way, ever.  Put two or three Hebrew letters together randomly, and they have intrinsic meaning as a word, and could not ever possibly have another meaning, because the letters themselves hold meaning.  Not so with English, which is by nature a confusing rats' nest, but versatile.

Thanks for your tolerance of the kids who always sit in the rear of the class shooting spitwads, and for your humor, Au Seeker.  Bill did a fine job choosing his moderators/babysitters.

Edited by Saul R W
And yet anuddah dratted typo spotted after the fact. Anyone want a pile of free dikshunarries?
  • Like 4

Saul, I enjoyed our visit, wish I'd had more time, great stories.

Drive safe, friend.

1 hour ago, Edge said:

Saul, I enjoyed our visit, wish I'd had more time, great stories.

Drive safe, friend.

Ditto, young feller.  We might yet make a fortune together, even if your lovely missus cracks your pecans every Sunday and makes you miss out on a perfectly good work day.  (But then again, lotsa luck getting me to lift a finger on Saturdays.)

Huh, I just discovered for the billionth time that America's interstate truck stops aren't quite as romantic as Waylon, Willie and the Boys might want us to think.  Half an hour waiting for a shower, and the one I ended up with had what looked like a 14-pound pile of bear scat sitting on the drain.  I'm no doc, but that bear needs to see his internist.  Quickly.

I got my five bucks back from the front counter, and will shower at Brat One's place on Sunday instead (or take a dive into the first open water I come across), and stink in the meantime.  Ain't no way I'm playing Septic Boy the Pooper Breaker Upper for the privilege of using a five dollar shower.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

always use love's truck stop's. $12, but always clean.

on the road again, used to party with willie's friend, david allan cole, back in the early 70's, he's 79 now still going.

have a safe trip!!

• Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 2:00 AM, wet/dry washer said:

always use love's truck stop's. $12, but always clean.

on the road again, used to party with willie's friend, david allan cole, back in the early 70's, he's 79 now still going.

have a safe trip!!

There was a Love's across the highway.  Wonder if the manager sabotaged the competition?

• Like 1