Nugget Shooter Forums
claimer

license for surface land-use and land-use fee

if i find locatable minerals , and file with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), should i apply the special license for surface land-use before mining? and pay Land-use Fee? can you help me to list legal basis?

i know i should pay the Location fee, Notice of location processing fee,Initial maintenance fee 

You got to be sure its BLM, and unclaimed.  Then you can file with the county, and then with the BLM.  If not filed with the county, you don't have a valid claim.  Pleas be advised the county and the BLM only file paperwork, so them taking it does not mean its a valid claim.  Many people have filed claims on the wrong type of land.

Most of us here are not that big to deal with the other stuff.  For the size most of us are, a claim is not even needed, provided you are on unclaimed land.  This includes metal detecting and drywashing where holes are filled in after.  There's something like 300,000+ active mining claims, and unless you intend on returning to an area to mine, it is probably not worth the time and money to stake a claim.  Of those 300k+ claims, I really doubt there are more than 3,000 legitimate claims, with the rest being speculation.

Each land is different: federal, state, county, and private, among many, many other land types.

Also be careful what you think a locatable mineral is.  It won't be gravel and it won't be getting landscaping rocks.  It can, but that's not an easy cheap process and probably involves things you mentioned.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chrisski said:

You got to be sure its BLM, and unclaimed.  Then you can file with the county, and then with the BLM.  If not filed with the county, you don't have a valid claim.  Pleas be advised the county and the BLM only file paperwork, so them taking it does not mean its a valid claim.  Many people have filed claims on the wrong type of land.

Most of us here are not that big to deal with the other stuff.  For the size most of us are, a claim is not even needed, provided you are on unclaimed land.  This includes metal detecting and drywashing where holes are filled in after.  There's something like 300,000+ active mining claims, and unless you intend on returning to an area to mine, it is probably not worth the time and money to stake a claim.  Of those 300k+ claims, I really doubt there are more than 3,000 legitimate claims, with the rest being speculation.

Each land is different: federal, state, county, and private, among many, many other land types.

Also be careful what you think a locatable mineral is.  It won't be gravel and it won't be  rocks.  It can, but that's not an easy cheap process and probably involves things you mentioned.

thank you . i discuss the locatable minerals and located in federal public lands.i want to know if a corporation finished the location(such as a large depositand filing procedures in unclaimed federal public land ,  whether a special permit for surface land-use and paying Land-use Fee before mining is needed?

You will need to give a little more detail, and I don't think you'll get the question answered for free, over a public forum with any reliability.  Have you looked it up on the BLM site?  You can call and ask them, but the advice I got from the Phoenix office has been completely wrong once and correct once, so take what they say with a grain of salt.

I went to BLM land to prospect an old commercial operation that is unclaimed.  For around $300 / 40 acres I could stake the claim with the BLM and county.  I'd have to pay around $300 / 40 acres to renew.  After that, its your mine, and you can start operations, kind of.  If you are going to metal detect or dig with a shovel, then you truly need nothing else.  If you're going to use equipment, it is a different story.  Part of it includes, do you need to make roads to get there?  Also, environmental impact studies and reclamation fees, depending on the size of the operation.  A couple of guys have posted how they've gotten small operations going, but each case is a little different.

What mineral are you after?  Not all minerals will stand up to digging up.

If you don't want to share info that's fine.  Also, if you're serious enough about it, you really ought to go to someone local and ask.  For example in Phoenix, there's a place that processes ores, I would call them up and see if they can get me to a consultant.

The thing that worries me about claiming an already proven deposit, is that it's probably played out, and if not, its likely we take reclamation more seriously now a days than in years prior, so reclaiming your work and not the work from a century ago could prove difficult.

Not all BLM land is created equal, some of it has been withdrawn, possibly even because a wilderness area was enacted on top of it meaning a non-grandfathered claim can't be mined, and the barring of motorized vehicles except for roads authorized on the travel management plan.

BLM will take whatever money you give them, and not be responsible for sending you a claim number for something you can't use because you filed it on the wrong part.  If the company has ceased operations, but still has an active claim, you can't claim it, but the BLM will still take your money.

They also will not catch a mistake, but will back charge you for it.  Bunch of claims were staked locally by paying the BLM for 20 acres on a 160 acre claim, so that operation either had to pay up, or drop it.  Last I checked they dropped 95% of those claims,.

There is no such thing as a federal land use license for mining a claim.

To locate a mining claim you will need to:

1. Discover valuable minerals on lands open to location.
  2. Stake the claim boundaries and Monument with a copy of the location notice describing the area claimed. (At this point you have a mining claim as long as you complete the next two steps in a timely manner.)
  3. Record the public notice of your Location with the County Recorder where the claim is located.
  4. File an informational notice and pay a fee to the State BLM office.

Most of what chrisski wrote is right on track. If you want to develop your claimed mineral deposit and you intend to significantly disturb the surface resources you will need to notify the land  agency responsible for surface management of your mining plans. That agency may be the BLM, Forest Service, other federal agencies or in some circumstances the private land owner

Edited by clay

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 7:36 PM, clay said:

There is no such thing as a federal land use license for mining a claim.

To locate a mining claim you will need to:

1. Discover valuable minerals on lands open to location.
  2. Stake the claim boundaries and Monument with a copy of the location notice describing the area claimed. (At this point you have a mining claim as long as you complete the next two steps in a timely manner.)
  3. Record the public notice of your Location with the County Recorder where the claim is located.
  4. File an informational notice and pay a fee to the State BLM office.

Most of what chrisski wrote is right on track. If you want to develop your claimed mineral deposit and you intend to significantly disturb the surface resources you will need to notify the land  agency responsible for surface management of your mining plans. That agency may be the BLM, Forest Service, other federal agencies or in some circumstances the private land owner

Actually that is incorrect Clay. Licenses for the use of a federal mining claim are required for any prospecting activity. This includes panning, detecting and even looking for interesting rocks.

Anyone that does not have a license is subject to fines and even jail time. If you do not have your license to prospect on federal land you need to purchase one immediately.

You can obtain your license to prospect on federal lands by contacting me at bedrockbob@gotcha.com . Licenses are $20 and are good for one year. All major credit cards are accepted.

Don't risk it. Get yours today!

• Haha 1