Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
lalaluigi1171

N.E. Ohio potential meteorites?

If not potential meteorites, can someone please explain the geologic process on how these were created? Thanks.

These have passed all the field tests.  These were found in or near a creek.  Some of these, like the last one with the metal embedded in the concrete, were found about 2 ft under large potential meteorites, in my creek. 

oriented_compression_lines.jpg

acorn.jpg

oriented_fusion_crust.jpg

oriented.jpg

martian_oriented.jpg

martian_oriented_split.jpg

martian.jpg

martian_crystal.jpg

brownie.jpg

brownie_side_view.jpg

stone_iron_meteorite.jpg

watermelon.jpg

meteorite_melt_glass.jpg

meteorite_melt_glass1.jpg

06A060CBBC21000097200003-attachment-1-Resized952018110895154234953159.jpg

0AA060CA5A530000C4300003-attachment-1-Resized952018110895154251953181.jpg

0CA060C5DC72000083D00003-attachment-1-Resized952018110895154347957870.jpg

06A060C45A770000F0400003-attachment-1-Resized952018110895154422952232.jpg

iron_shock_conglomerate.jpg

Lala,

I am from NE Ohio (Bedford). None of your rocks are even close. They are sedimentary and heavily water influenced.

Take a look at your rock(s). If it glistens like a crystal structure (ie: quartz) at any point in the rock it can’t be a meteorite. If it has layers, it can’t be a meteorite, it’s sedimentary. If it has small gas bubbles in it, it can’t be a meteorite. It’s basalt. If it is moderately magnetic it is not a meteorite. If there is a thick crust on it, it can’t be a meteorite. File off a corner or cut it. It won’t diminish it’s value. If there is all bright silvery metal it can’t be a meteorite. If it is all grey metal it can’t be a meteorite. If there is black crust as thin as a fingernail, and crazing on the outside of the rock, it might be a meteorite. If there are small silver specks visible in the filed off section, it might be meteorite.

There are billions of magnetic rocks in the US, none of which are meteorites. Anyone can find magnetic earth stones nearly everywhere. Just take a strong magnet and drop into sand and you will see what I mean. Check our O Richard Norton’s, “Rocks from Space” or visit the Cleveland Museum of Natural History or similar center.

billpeters

I'm by Strongsville, more west though.  I've studied our geology.  I have filed windows, and seen matrices, chondrules are present.  I've also literally taken a super strong magnet, out of an old hard drive, and dragged it down the banks of my creek, not very sandy. It's mostly shale.  Nothing attaches to my magnet. I have quartz, and granite, and basalt, and slag, as samples as to what is not a potential meteorite. Almost every point stated above as to why they aren't, can be completely nullified if describing Lunar and Martian meteorites, as well as time on Earth, and weathering factors. Also, a quick google search for nickel meteorites shows meteorites with shiny metal flakes. Lunar breccia has vesicles in it. Martian and Lunar meteorites, as well as achondrites have little metals in them, making them not very magnetic, if at all.  Also, certain Martian meteorites definitely have crystals/minerals in them.   Not all of these were found in a creek.  Some were at a much higher elevation, 200ft maybe. There's about a 5-acre trajectory I can follow and find huge random isolated rocks, in my old growth woods. If the massive ones I've found, (I'd need machinery to move them) are plotted on Google Earth, and how they are sitting in the ground, it looks like they were fired from orbit in a line 

The attached picture, those do not look sedimentary.  If anything, I would have thought metamorphic or igneous.   But I get that we see what we want to see, and pictures really don't do them justice, so many other factors.  Thanks for the reply man!

meteorites.jpg

9 hours ago, lalaluigi1171 said:

I get that we see what we want to see

Yes, you sure do.

• well done 1

I'd recommend reading about the geology of the local area.  I'm betting your area was covered in an ice sheet and glaciers 10,000 years ago and moved these rocks in at that time.  Problem with glacial rocks, is we truly don't know where they came from. They could have been moved hundreds of miles from Canada.  These glaciers scrubbed areas down to the bedrock depositing rocks at random places and eventually deep gravels wherever they melted.

The creeks just concentrate these odd looking rocks for some reason.  The lighter ones like sandstone tend to get washed downstream in the floods, and the heavier ones stay in the creekbed.  The creekbed attracts stones that look like they don't belong.  In one of my trips, I was standing in a deep cut river, a couple hundred feet deep, and the walls of the cliffs were sandstone, but the bed of the river was different.  That's simply because when the sandstone falls off, it gets pulverized back to sand in the rains, but the very few other rocks that are in there stay concentrated in the creek bed.

If you really, really want it to be a meteor, than it was all space dust 4.6 billion years ago until it started gravitating to what we now call earth.

To me the concretion does not look natural, but more as if its an older concrete when it used to be expensive and people would mix it with rocks and gravel to save money.

Thanks for the input. I shall look harder. I was pretty shocked when I saw the concrete myself. Its the metals embedded in it that really piqued my interest.  I guess im confused with the validity of the field tests. Some pass the magnet, texture, window, and streak test.  If a specimen can pass all those, yet still be a meteorwrong, is that just how it goes?   

Edited by lalaluigi1171

Lala,

All your rocks are terrestrial sedimentary, including the last three. The weathered surfaces are typical of terrestrial stones and unlike meteoritic crust. There are no igneous stones in your collection. The water accretions on some of your stones probably occurred when Lake Erie was several times larger and 100s of feet deeper covering Strongsville, OH or perhaps water covered several million years prior or both.

Read more and handle real meteorites. Take a few stones, chips, or pics to a geology dept. Don't tell them that you think they are meteorites, just ask them what type of rocks they are. I believe that you will get a straight answer.

You are correct in writing, "I get that we see what we want to see", but others don't see it.

billpeters

I agree with everyone. At least you seem very motivated to find one so that’s a great start!! Can you please post better pictures (closer)  to this rock. Just curious to look at the shiny ness. I’ll explain later after if you choose to post some pic try to get shine clear pics up close thought of the entire exterior please.

3B7FA8F7-1F3B-4596-B5BE-0B10221128D5.jpeg