Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
trainermick

Franconia

Going to be in Laughlin Dec. 10-13 and want to hit Franconia. I am from Canada so not very familiar with the strewnfield. Looking for tips ie. where to park, where to start looking, etc.  Also if anyone is available to join me on either of these dates, please let me know.

Do you have a metal detector?  If not, Franconia is not going to be a good hunt.

Do you have 4WD?  If not, you are limited to where to park.

There are miles and miles and miles of good desert pavement all around Laughlin where finds have been made and hunting by eye is viable.

• Like 2

Trainer,

Just a word of advice. Meteorite hunting is not all it is cracked up to be. Most of my hunts, nearly all, I find nothing. Unless you are at a the right coordinates of a known strewnfield with high potential, good advice, and an experienced hunter with you, you are very likely to be disappointed. I have hunted Franconia for a couple of days and got skunked. It is easy to find meteor-wrongs and think that you have something, but an expert will tell you that you don't. However, success is still possible. I wish you well.

billpeters

Trainermick,

Here is my website with links to some videos that may assist with Franconia. Finds are still being made, but with effort. Lots of walking, and swinging the detector. Good luck down there. 

http://jdsnyder.wixsite.com/meteorseeker

Jayray

2 hours ago, billpeters said:

Trainer,

Just a word of advice. Meteorite hunting is not all it is cracked up to be. Most of my hunts, nearly all, I find nothing. Unless you are at a the right coordinates of a known strewnfield with high potential, good advice, and an experienced hunter with you, you are very likely to be disappointed. I have hunted Franconia for a couple of days and got skunked. It is easy to find meteor-wrongs and think that you have something, but an expert will tell you that you don't. However, success is still possible. I wish you well.

billpeters

I am a meteorite hunter and dealer from Canada and have been on numerous hunts. Just haven’t hit Franconia yet.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jayray said:

Trainermick,

Here is my website with links to some videos that may assist with Franconia. Finds are still being made, but with effort. Lots of walking, and swinging the detector. Good luck down there. 

http://jdsnyder.wixsite.com/meteorseeker

Jayray

Thanks Jason, I have watched all of your youtube videos and we are facebok friends. Fred McPherson

• Like 2

5 hours ago, trainermick said:

Going to be in Laughlin Dec. 10-13 and want to hit Franconia. I am from Canada so not very familiar with the strewnfield. Looking for tips ie. where to park, where to start looking, etc.  Also if anyone is available to join me on either of these dates, please let me know.

Fred, I’ll be available on the 10th for a hunt if you want to PM me for details.

• Like 1

I wish you success out there man !!! If you are a hunter I believe you can do well out there!! You need to take advice for the hunters on this forum with experience in Franconia In my opinion.