Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jack H

ID help

My wife and I went down the 177 to the Road runner claims today. Had a great time. Found some nice mineral specimens. Did some beeping. Found a small shoe and another steel piece I need help identifying. These were found within 10 feet of one another. Looks like a shoe was changed out and … something else. Does anyone recognize what the bar with the threaded end and ball is? Its about 10" long. Thank you

detected.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jack H said:

My wife and I went down the 177 to the Road runner claims today. Had a great time. Found some nice mineral specimens. Did some beeping. Found a small shoe and another steel piece I need help identifying. These were found within 10 feet of one another. Looks like a shoe was changed out and … something else. Does anyone recognize what the bar with the threaded end and ball is? Its about 10" long. Thank you

detected.png

I do believe, with about 99.82% certainty, that your second item is a dental float -- for horse teeth, not people teeth.  It's shorter than many old floats I've seen, but that might make sense in a kit made for portability.  Maybe some horse had his teeth floated and tires changed on the same day.  Fine print:  I've been wrong before.

Edited by Saul R W
A typo a day ...
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

And by the way, that's a mule shoe.

• Like 1

What happened to the edit option?

Wanted to ad, toe clip on that shoe.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Edge said:

What happened to the edit option?

Wanted to ad, toe clip on that shoe.

My edit feature disappears now and then, too.  Suspicious character that I am, I'm pretty sure that AU Seeker watches for me to post something dumb or to make a really embarrassing typo, and then shuts down my edit for that post to make the mistake part of the permanent record.  I lay awake (or is it lie awake?) nights fretting over hundreds of uncorrectable errors.

Okay, time to go pretend to earn a living.  Bagels and beans don't buy themselves ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

YUP! That's why Skip is an admin! He has the power and uses it on you shady ones! :rolleyes: Ooops ... I better be careful here ... he might add me to the list! :inocent::old:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Mike Furness said:

YUP! That's why Skip is an admin! He has the power and uses it on you shady ones! :rolleyes: Ooops ... I better be careful here ... he might add me to the list! :inocent::old:

Speaking of shady characters, I keep running into Mike around town, and he's always trying to sell me something -- I'm reminded of a couple of my cousins who sell insurance.  (Seriously, though, he's a great guy to run into, and oh boy, does he know detecting.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Saul R W said:

My edit feature disappears now and then, too.  Suspicious character that I am, I'm pretty sure that AU Seeker watches for me to post something dumb or to make a really embarrassing typo, and then shuts down my edit for that post to make the mistake part of the permanent record.  I lay awake (or is it lie awake?) nights fretting over hundreds of uncorrectable errors.

Okay, time to go pretend to earn a living.  Bagels and beans don't buy themselves ...

Right on, Saul good to see I'm not the lone grammar Nazi. Bad enough to see my errors, but I get ulcers worrying about others punctuation and spelling words.

• Haha 1

Thanks guys. I kinda figured the shoe was a mule shoe. Its a bit small to be a horse. Didn't know about the clip. Appreciate the help as always.

Did a little searching this afternoon. The bar looks closer to a power pole step than a dental float. The lines in the pic are threads. Its a round- threaded  bolt about 10-12 inches long. The round head on it has a flat slot like a flat head screw.

• Like 1

That's very possible, Jack.  In the photo, the threaded end looks flat to me, but if it's round on that end, I withdraw my guess, and fall back on the failsafe "I've been wrong before" statement.

• Haha 1

I'd considered that it could be a glass insulator bracket for power lines. The searches didn't turn up much. Steps were the closest I could find.

19 hours ago, Jack H said:

Thanks guys. I kinda figured the shoe was a mule shoe. Its a bit small to be a horse. Didn't know about the clip. Appreciate the help as always.

Mules feet are a tad smaller than the same size horse. But you can tell it's a mule shoe by its shape, not size. Mules inherit the donkeys feet in the breeding, they walk on a shorter toe than their horse parent.