Nugget Shooter Forums
DolanDave

Critter Hole Nugget

Hey Everyone,

Got out for a day hunt, hunting a trashy wash. This wash was full of old staples, and screamed on the Zed. After digging seems like the 100th staple, I decided to just stick to the sides of the wash, hoping to avoid these little bastards, which were all down the length of the wash. Not 10 minutes hunting the side of the wash,  I got a screaming signal in the entrance to an animal hole, large enough to fit a turtle or fox in the side of the wash. Thinking oh great, another staple, I dug the entrance floor to the animal hole with my scoop, and waved the detector over it the scooped out pile, and zang !!!!  I looked down at the small pile and saw the nugget right on top. Got it home and cleaned it up, it ended up being 7.9 grams. I hunted that wash for most of the day, pulling out probably another 100 staples :grr01:.

Until next time....

Dave

Johnnie2 12-2-18.jpg

Johnnie1 12-2-18.jpg

• Like 19
  • well done 4
  • wow 1

Wow !!

That's a beauty !!  :thumbsupanim

Way to go Dave.

Luke

• Like 1

Sweet, Dave.  I had a very similar to story with staples.  Now I look at them as good luck.  I bet you do, now, too.  That is one beautiful hunk you found there!! :thumbsupanim

• Like 1

Nice one there Dave ... put a leash on that critter and let him dig for you! 

• Like 1

Great story and gold! :yesss: Wonder if there are any more farther down the hole?
Tom H.

• Like 3

Outstanding find sir, congrats.  

• Like 1

Nice nugget with lots of character. Congrats

• Like 1

Dang !  SCORE !  Yep all critter dwellings and diggings get at least a look see by me.  You never know what the rascals cart home or unearth.  Ant Piles, any diggings.  Pack Rat Dens are most lucrative. 

• Like 2

WTG Dave for keeping after it , it sure does get tiresome when you find those runs of old staples .

Edited by beatup
  • Like 2

Nice score Dave! Doesn’t look like it has moved from it’s formed location. 

Jayray

• Like 1

very cool! I have swung my coil over hundreds of critter holes with no luck. That was a very nice critter...

fred

• Like 2

nice one Dave!   I did the same thing last time up in gold basin, got a screamer in a pack rat den... took some courage to dig it out but was worth it!

• Like 3

That’s beautiful Dave.  I love trying to pinpoint staples with the ZED.  it’s probably one of my favorite things to do just behind smashing my head against the wall.  With my luck I would get a wobble over a critter hole and it would be a badger wearing a gold chain.  Anyway neat story. 

Brownie 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brownnugget said:

That’s beautiful Dave.  I love trying to pinpoint staples with the ZED.  it’s probably one of my favorite things to do just behind smashing my head against the wall.  With my luck I would get a wobble over a critter hole and it would be a badger wearing a gold chain.  Anyway neat story. 

Brownie 

The ones with a Gold Front Tooth Get my attention.

For some reason I always make it a point to swing over what some critter has already dug out.  Sure enough. . . last spring I heard a faint signal on a critter hole pile and found a little nugget.  Nothing compared to the dandy you found though.  Congrats!! -n- thanks for sharing.

AND I have to admit that I didn't finish digging a small target that was in rocky ground, because as I got closer to the ground after a couple picks there were bees or wasps coming out from under a rock that was next to where I was picking.  I convinced myself it was another bullet fragment. . . and took off. :wee:Not all critter holes are friendly... darn it.

• Like 3