Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
microsniper

Micros with the GB2

I Picked up a  GB2 recently and got a chance to hit my micro patch for a trial.   My first GB2 nugget weighed in at .5 of a Grain.(the small one..;-).  Hey Boulderdash, I finally went full micro!  Luckily on the way out to my spot I ran into someone here from the forum who is a wiz with this machine, he was kind enough to show me how to use it!   id been using the PI for so long now I actually didnt know how to ground balance the thing :89:, now im hooked...

IMG_2371.jpg

• Like 13

Right on!! nice finds :)   Just dont get into a bird shot infested area....that gets dreary.

Dont suck it all up...leave one or two for dad and I :4chsmu1:
Tom H

• Like 1

Nice going Mike. Be interesting to see what else you find with it.

• Like 1

Yep the 1st zip zip and it's on like donkey kong. I kinda like seeing how deep I can hear a piece of buck shot. I would rather be picking up shot than hearing nothing. Plus when you are finding buck shot it is just confirmation that when you swing it over gold you will hear it.

Gold sounds off louder that lead with the BG2 believe it or not. 

• Like 2

Microsniper:  As long as you now are using a GB2 and just in case you visit an area that has some ironstones or ferrous gravel to contend with -- especially if they are small to tiny ones -- you can help distinguish your nugget signal responses  from the ironstone responses by adjusting your GB2's ground balance slightly negative (in some cases more than slightly -- learn by experimenting).  The nuggets should continue to be heard with a sharp zip zip while the ferrous pieces will tend to lose sharpness and will sound more like a "ka-pow ka-pow".  Just thought I'd share this with you and others if you hadn't run across this little trick before.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 7

On 11/27/2018 at 9:23 PM, boulder dash said:

Can't go wrong with a classic. Well done .

Except when two people are using the Gold Bug2 in the same area, then you have constant cross talking between the two machines.  Makes for a miserable time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Boorx4 said:

then you have constant cross talking between the two machines

If you are that close to one another , then you are way to close anyway. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, adam said:

If you are that close to one another , then you are way to close anyway. 

Agreed.  There aren't that many people on this planet I'd want to spend all day yapping with, anyway.  A drive to the field just about wipes out my socialization abilities for the day.

• Haha 3

Martin,

Thank you for your insight on GB2 tuning.  I was in the El Pasos recently, (an area I believe you are familiar with) and encountered hot and cold rocks, as well as the usual suspects, lead, steel and brass.....  The hot rocks give a signal which is very much like gold I think, not that I have found any of late, and the cold rocks give a null signal which is quite a different sound.  Would you please explain the "slightly negative ground balance", would that be turning the fine adjustment a bit counter clockwise from the optimal ground balance position or would that mean turning it a bit in the clockwise direction?  I remember vaguely a post somewhere in the distant past explaining this technique so any clarification is appreciated.  Thank you,

Jeff

Jeff: The conventional wisdom is to ground balance a GB2 slightly positive.  In most situations that will work just fine.  Just pump the GB2 until you find the "dead null" ground balance spot.  Then turn the ground balance fine tuning control ever so slightly a hair to the right (clockwise) to go slightly positive.

However, if you encounter a place littered with numerous tiny ironstones and/or with ferrous-content gravels, then you will hear a lot of zippy, constant nugget-mimicking chatter.  When confronted with that type of noisy background it can become difficult to distinguish between the "zip zip" of a tiny nugget and the zip zip of a small ironstone or a ferrous hot rock.  I have found that (for me -- for my ears) by turning the fine tuning ground balance control slightly negative (counter-clockwise), then I am once again able to make out a slight sound response difference between an actual gold nugget and the small ironstones or ferrous gravels.  By going a bit more negative the difference becomes more obvious.

I always carry a number of precisely weighed target nuggets with me.  So when I encounter one of these noisy situations I throw down one of the smaller poker chip test nuggets to enable me to quickly compare and contrast the sound differences as I gradually move the fine tuning control ring counter-clockwise.  An actual gold nugget, however small, will continue to be heard as a sharp "zip zip" even if one negatively ground balances a GB2 quite a bit (and so will other solid metallic objects such as birdshot or bits of copper, brass, aluminum or steel).  But most ironstones and ferrous gravels will quickly "change their tune" from a zip zip to a "ka-pow ka-pow" sort of sound.

I hope this helps.

• Like 4

Martin ... That is a great trick and one I stumbled onto when I was teaching folks how to use the Minelab 705. Everyone seems to know the slightly positive ground balance tends to make the VLF a 'little' more sensitive to the suspect gold we all chase. But by doing a little experimenting when on a target one may discover the detector may have another trick up its signal! Thanks for reminding me of this ... I tend to forget when I am not using a particular detector after a fashion. My pea brain just doesn't retain as well as it used to! :rolleyes::old:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

When GB'ing slightly negative the best results are obtained when sweeping the searchcoil at a consistent height. One of the cool features on the Goldmaster 24k is that you can program it to actually track either positive or negative at all time.

• Like 1

micro great going :thumbsupanim

that gb is a hot 1 

go find some more

p.s loveing the excal

Edited by WLTDWIZ

Martin,

Thank you for your insight on GB2 tuning.  I was in the El Pasos recently, (an area I believe you are familiar with) and encountered hot and cold rocks, as well as the usual suspects, lead, steel and brass.....  The hot rocks give a signal which is very much like gold I think, not that I have found any of late, and the cold rocks give a null signal which is quite a different sound.  Would you please explain the "slightly negative ground balance", would that be turning the fine adjustment a bit counter clockwise from the optimal ground balance position or would that mean turning it a bit in the clockwise direction?  I remember vaguely a post somewhere in the distant past explaining this technique so any clarification is appreciated.  Thank you,

Jeff

Martin,

That is a great explanation, thank you very much!

This all sounds so complicated, negatives and positives. As a retired gold bug 2 grand master I can tell you I personally never did any of that and just kept it balanced. What I learned early was that if I was even slightly out of balance targets got lost in the other background sounds and I missed gold....period! Just keep things simple and stay as balanced as possible, in my opinion you guys have been probably been missing targets with this positive negative talk. 

• Like 3
  • Hmmmmmm 1

On 12/1/2018 at 4:07 PM, boulder dash said:

in my opinion you guys have been probably been missing targets with this positive negative talk. 

BD ... I hear you and agree with you ... I always run my machine in as balanced a condition as possible. The pos/neg that I have used in the past is purely experimental once I have a target while I try to guess what it might be before digging it. It is a bit of a game I play with myself sometimes. But in reality I dig ALL targets! And as far as the guesses on the target before actually seeing it ... other than iron/steel at about 85% ... the non-ferous target guesses are at best a 50% guess and therefore the reason for digging all targets. :):old:

• Like 1

Nice going and nice gold, love the Gold Bug 2 and had one for many years and found me a few nuggets with it :brows:

It's so darn hard to dig all targets. I keep learning the lesson to do it tho when one friend in particular keeps finding good ones on the surface that are screaming targets!

This hobby ain't easy. Gets frustrating digging trash all day. I tried just going for the quiet mellow targets today and still dug probably 75% of the surface screamers too.

Came home with one small one for all the work, which was still better than nada.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • well done 1

Tortuga ... You missed one in that 25% undug ... oops ... wrong make that two! :inocent:

• Like 1

I'm sure I did!

Just wish those old miners didn't litter so much when they were working their screen piles. Bunch of slobs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/1/2018 at 3:07 PM, boulder dash said:

in my opinion you guys have been probably been missing targets with this positive negative talk. 

Actually, we had the opposite experience.  My buddy (Lucky Joe) and I worked a newly found patch in a "desert pavement" ferrous gravel and ironstone surface area with our GB2s for the better part of a year, taking out at least 100 small to tiny nuggets apiece.  Then, after we were sure that we had gotten them all we discovered this negative ground balance technique and proceeded to tease out a couple of dozen more over the ensuing months from the same ground we had gone over and over many times before.  That was around eight years ago.  Since then we've gone back a few times and each time managed to pluck out one or two more after doing some light raking, sometimes utilizing normal ground balancing and sometimes (afterward) the negative ground balance procedure.

Both Lucky Joe and I suffer from hearing loss.  Perhaps that is why this technique seems too work for our ears, but younger folks with excellent hearing may not need that extra contrasting sound differential.

• Like 2

Arctic Dave, Thank you as well, in my mind I was guessing that the counter clockwise direction would be produce a negative result in the balance scheme, where as turning in a clockwise direction would produce a positive change....  I associate turning a conventionally threaded device to the left, a nut on an angle stop for example where, if one has neglected to shut off the supply preceding said angle stop things will get very  exciting and wet shortly, ergo a negative result.......  Ahh yes, yet another reason I prefer drywall to plumbing any day....

Again, thank you Martin for your sage advice, I am looking forward to experimenting with this next time out.... 

• Like 2