Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
adam

Thanksgiving Day Gold !

Venturing into one of the most remote canyons in Arizona, I found gold .  Put the quad on its side, and found Vanadinite !  All in a day :hiker:

A piece of gold sunbaking on a bench 3 feet up and out of the creek:

IMG_1744.JPG

Vanadinite, Cowboy Mine?

IMG_1800.JPG

3.1 grams in gold  ......New wash needs more attention....To be continued :black_knight_standing::brows:

IMG_1755.JPG

Edited by adam
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • well done 2

Nice gold. Congrats.

Are there any dumps around for more specimens?

Nice!  Yah, you better hit that wash again :) I want to see a pic of the quad on it side?
Tom H.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TomH said:

I want to see a pic of the quad on it side?

Lol Tom....Somehow, I wasn't in the mood for photos. 

• Haha 4

Oh, very cool haul.  And nice to know you are still in commission after dumping the quad -- I've known of one fellow who dumped is but he didn't get up -- ever.

"Vanadinite, Cowboy Mine? "

Is this from the oxidized zone of a galena deposit?  It looks just like the "rotten" ore near the surface in the lead/silver/zinc galena mines in the Organ district. The oxidized galena has tiny red/yellow/orange vanadinite crystals in it near the surface where the galena lays against the granite country rock. 

Lead and placer gold is an odd combination. Do you think they are both from the same geology?

Lead and placer gold is actually very common here on the desserts. I know of a few places where gold and galena are together in the washes. Excellent gold findings Adam very good amount for 1 day.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, boulder dash said:

Lead and placer gold is actually very common here on the desserts. I know of a few places where gold and galena are together in the washes. Excellent gold findings Adam very good amount for 1 day.

That is a good fact to know.

In my neck of the woods free milling gold is rarely found in the lead/zinc/silver geology and sticks almost exclusively with the hematite gossan/manganese veins. A base metal mine might have good gold production but it is almost always as a complex ore and not free milling. There are hundreds of rich silver/lead/zinc mines in the area and a big fat zero have placer gold in the gulches or free milling gold in the ore. 

Here the granites host sulphide base metal ores and the andesites host manganese/gold ores. There is a bunch of silver in all the geology but when the native gold starts showing up the lead sulphides nearly disappear. You can almost count on the gold values going away when you start seeing the lead. And the reverse is also true... you can expect the galena to pretty much disappear when the country rock changes to the volcanics and the manganese and hematite gossan dominate.

Schist is probably the only exception to that rule in New Mexico. I know of a few areas where the ore body lies against schist and contains both galena and free milling gold. From the looks of the ground in the photos that is what is happening in this area.

• Like 1

I know a few places in the Plomosa's and the Vultures where galena and gold occur together... In the former, the galena and lead actually form large, water-worn nuggets..I found a couple that are 3 to 4 ounces ... Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

I have found galena spiked with free gold. Pulled a specimen out not long ago that yielded good color when crushed and panned. I need to get back up there and look for it as there was a substantial amount of gold in it. Appeared to be associated with some stringers around a pegmatite dike. 

• Like 1

I too want to see the location of where the quad tipped over!

1.  I want to know another spot to avoid (I don't have a quad)

2.  I want to see the location myself so I know what to avoid (please be specific how far you were from the gold when it tipped over)

3.  I promise not to look at it on Google Earth.

Please don't post the location on this thread.  I promise to tell Tom.

Mitchel

• Haha 1

Great looking gold Adam, congrats on a new area.....

Dave