Nugget Shooter Forums

Whats in your break down bag

Hey Little Tom,

I would recommend a small air pump kit.  I got one a long time back from Slime.  It's very small and powerful air compressor.  The kit that Artic Dave mentioned is nice also.  I have used CO2's on bike tires and they work great.  I would also recommend a small battery jump box.  There are many out there that are small and compact.  You don't need a very big one for a ATV (ampacity wise).  I have had two dead batteries on my Polaris Sportsman 500.  I even have a pull start, but it don't do anything if the battery is already dead. :kap:

P.S.  Send me over your tire pattern so I can tell where you have been .... :black_knight_standing:

tire.jpg

Rob Allison

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

P.S.  Send me over your tire pattern so I can tell where you have been .... 

Ok...now that is funny...cuz,...............I do it also :)  

Tom H.

• Like 1

You’ll love the Grizzly Tom. I bought a 660 4x4 Grizzly in 2005 and used it for a decade. Great machine, never left me stranded. Not sure if yours has the backup pull cord starter option. Mine did it and I used it at least once per month for two reasons: 1) ensure it works 2) ensure that I could operate it correctly. All puns aside the pull starter was a “bear” in cold weather. When I sold it a few years ago I weighed 260 and could throw that extra weight into it. Weighing 185 today I’m sure it would not be as easy lol

Frankly, I much prefer my 4x4 side by side today. A lot more payload and unless trail width is a concern I have found few places the side by side can’t match a quad on. Plus a good hike is always fun. 

When I think about the question “What do all of you carry to help you get out if something goes wrong on the quad?”. The most important piece of gear is you, the quad can be rescued later (confident that we all know this).

Your mental and physical health will be a huge factor in getting out in one piece. Even in temporary survival situations the first thing that kills most people is hypothermia and the second is dehydration. I’m sure most of you know this already, but noting in the event someone does not. If anyone reading this thinks that a simple breakdown off road cannot turn into a temporary survival situation you are wrong. 

There has been some good advice given here, and some of it makes me chuckle. Serious injury aside and depending on where you break down these are my main priorities: Avoid hypothermia (or heat stroke), hydration, orienteering, communication. Guessing most folks here are good manual orienteers or carry a gps. Both work equally well.

A few of the items you’ll find in my gear bag are as follows (not affiliate links) and I had the same on the Grizzly. Some of these items are “backpack” items, but adding for good measure. I'm of the "rather have it and not need it" mindset with both gear and guns. 

Side note: Extra medication/prescriptions (I don’t take any meds/prescriptions, but if you do might be a good idea to have a few extra days worth handy)

Need more coffee so likely leaving something out, but that’s my two cents for now. Life is good. 

• Like 2

Years ago I had a Honda 90 that ate plug wires, so until I stopped driving and riding vehicles with spark plugs, I always kept a spare plug wire(s) in the kit.  It seems like it would be lot of trouble (but probably not impossible) to manufacture plug wires in the field from baling wire.  

Edited by Saul R W
Because I'm typing on a phone with a keyboard designed for thumbs manufactured in Beijing (both thumbs and phone).
  • Like 2

I carry extra power cords, backup batteries, the tire repair kit w/ CO2 cartridges, one of those lightweight silver looking space  blankets, matches, and war surplus energy bar (heavy like the pound cake in C rations). Small hammer to break my watch if I think I'll miss happy hour (don't need the additional stress)

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
On 11/26/2018 at 8:54 PM, Saul R W said:

I always kept a spare plug wire(s) in the kit.  It seems like it would be lot of trouble (but probably not impossible) to manufacture plug wires in the field from baling wire.  

Barbed wire plug wires are popular in the rat rod world. They work fine, provided proper clearance is maintained. Non shielded plug wires may not play nice with a modern computer controlled engine though. 

562526.jpg

Edited by ArcticDave
Added pic
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

Barbed wire plug wires are popular in the rat rod world. They work fine, provided proper clearance is maintained. Non shielded plug wires may not play nice with a modern computer controlled engine though. 

562526.jpg

I would like to add that it will get yuor attention real fast if you accidently touch one of those barbwires while the engine is running, ask me how I know!!! :th_panic:

• Like 1
  • Hmmmmmm 1
  • well done 1
  • wow 1

reminds me about city kids visiting the farm, pissing on the electric fence. they never did it twice.

took my harley mag to work with me to to put new points in it at lunch time, new-be was watching me. told him to hold the two springs down while me turned it, he fell on his ass. you dumb-ass...you have to put pressure on them, fell on his the second time. done it to chicks, he's the only one to do it twice.

another reason females are smarter than males.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

562526.jpg

Also not great for AM radio clarity.

• Haha 3
4 hours ago, wet/dry washer said:

reminds me about city kids visiting the farm, pissing on the electric fence. they never did it twice.

took my harley mag to work with me to to put new points in it at lunch time, new-be was watching me. told him to hold the two springs down while me turned it, he fell on his ass. you dumb-ass...you have to put pressure on them, fell on his the second time. done it to chicks, he's the only one to do it twice.

another reason females are smarter than males.

My youngest brother (17 years my junior) worked for me through his teen years, including one job where I built a 30-acre frontier village sort of tourist trap just north of Anchorage.  It was raining on the particular day I'm remembering.  I was up on the roof of a faux blacksmith shop, while he was working the dumb end of things, mostly handing me lumber.  At one point, the generator started stumbling, so I yelled down for him to tweak the choke knob a bit, specifically, "Turn the choke knob," followed by "Hurry up and turn the damned knob!"  Between the rain, wind, generator noise and general dumbarsedness, he couldn't understand.  I watched as his hand drifted around between the throttle, the choke, and the spark plug on that old generator.  He grabbed the spark plug.  It didn't help, I'm sure, that he and the generator were sharing a puddle.  

In keeping with your post, my nickname for him is Ahabal, very close in meaning to dumbarse.  To my knowledge, he's  the only member of our family over the past 4,000 or so years to have spent time in prison for a crime other than having a long schnoz and a trimmed shmok.  Maybe more frequent episodes of electroshock therapy as a youngster would have been good medicine.

Edited by Saul R W
Repair of English defects.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Broke down in the desert, well let Lou's 14 year old son drive and he left the key on on my 1978 Ford badass ex forest service truck..... 2 batteries for cabover in 1999, but I had no darn cables and spare battery had different connectors :barnie: Took BLM barbed wire from a mine and VIOLA!.... 

• Like 3
  • well done 2

I've had to carry around spare batteries before.  Now I prefer to carry these smaller chargers.  They will jump a vehicle in a snap.  They will charge plenty of other things as well.

JumpStart.JPG