Nugget Shooter Forums

Whats in your break down bag

TomH

Well, I just got a Yamaha Grizzly yesterday. (posted in the quads section) But, as this area probably gets more traffic. I wanted to ask. What do all of you carry to help you get out if something goes wrong on the quad?
 I know tools, slime tires, plug, tire plug kit, air pump......but what else would be good?

I posted a pic of one of my old nuggets so it does pertain to gold :4chsmu1:
Thanks all
Tom H.

Untitled-5.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

I carry a hand air pump, tire plugs...2 sets plus tire cement for large oops....adjustable wrench..2 sizes, screw drive with assorted bits , electrical tape and duct tape.

Anything else that I might think I could need....

Zip-ties or if you want to go old school bailing wire, assorted wiring connectors/electrical repair kit including tape, assorted nuts and bolts/screws, duct/gorilla tape, extra oil, extra drive chain and or belts, and maybe a winch if you don't have one, or a small come-along.

That all I can think of right now but if I think of something else I will reply again.   

• Like 2

-Most of above plus a tow strap and super strong D-Rings and towing hitch.  First time I was stuck had nothing to pull me out if someone had driven by, so got these.

-Starting Fluid

-A couple of vehicle specific things like a 11mm super deep socket and Inch Pound torque wrench for turbo boots popping off

-Water and food mostly to walk out.  GPS and Maps if a new area.  If my Diesel truck breaks down, I'd be screwed.  I'd need a garage full of tools to actually fix the thing.  Wing and a prayer.

• Like 1

For your tires get one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Innovations-G3516-Repair-Inflation-x/dp/B000VJP492

That kind uses standard BB gun co2 cartridges. 

Much lighter and smaller to carry in a quad. Try and keep your gear as light as possible. A bare minimum of basic metric sockets and wrenches is also a good idea. Same crap you normally carry...just a pint size version of it.

Keep your kit small.

Oh, and did I mention...keep your kit small :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nugget Shooter said:

I carry Arctic Dave's phone number and electrical and quick fix items. Can only carry so much Tom and aske Dave, he has had to rescue my sorry azz some.... :inocent:

Thats  funny!! :)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, adam said:

My boots

Yah, but my feet dont want to walk in dem boots. Had to to a 3 mile hike out with my old 87 quad and that is not going to happen again!!!! :)
Tom H.

48 minutes ago, adam said:

6 hours ago, Nugget Shooter said:

I carry Arctic Dave's phone number and electrical and quick fix items. Can only carry so much Tom and aske Dave, he has had to rescue my sorry azz some.... :inocent:

You got a good back up for sure!!!

51 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

You must have some wicked shoulder straps on that quad!

Yeah, I saw that too but didn't say anything, strugglingly..

Swamp

It's ok to point, as long as you don't laugh. -- Gallagher

Edited by Swampstomper Al
  • Like 1

Honestly it depends on the vehicle and where you are going.

I don't plan on driving off any improved road with a pickup. I walk from there. Consequently I don't plan on needing to fix a vehicle. If something happens that I can't figure out with a jack, a spare and a leatherman then I am calling a buddy to come help me tow it back home.

If I am driving on the established trails in my FJ-40 I take the basic tools rolled up in a grease rag and a piece of wire. I have points and condenser and a piece of accelerator cable because that sucker always breaks. I have a tubing kit for the mechanical oil gauge too. Spare air is awesome. And a plug kit with a little tube of rubber cement. I like the little 12V air pumps but they aren't to be relied on after riding over a thousand miles of dust and volcanic cobbles.

I don't prepare for any major repairs. I just don't intend to do any of that in the field. If I go more than a couple hundred miles away from home I would certainly plan differently. But in the FJ-40 I am always within a hundred miles or so and a buddy is never more than a phone call away.

Honestly my only concern is food, water and warm clothes. I will pack a thick sleeping bag so I can wait overnight for help sooner than I would pack the tools needed to do a complex repair. My strategy is taking care of me and bringing in the resources to solve the problem if the need arises.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to compare the lists of today to, say, lists written forty years ago about what one should have along
should one break down ten miles from one's truck and thirty miles from the nearest 'phone.. 

Swamp

56 minutes ago, Swampstomper Al said:

It would be interesting to compare the lists of today to, say, lists written forty years ago about what one should have along
should one break down ten miles from one's truck and thirty miles from the nearest 'phone.. 

Swamp

Forty years ago a fellow walked from the truck because he drove a 2WD. He didn't break down ten miles from his truck because there were no trail machines other than a few dirt bikes. Forty years before that he rode a mule or a horse. So he did not prepare to repair like a trail rider would IMHO.  But still, you can't pack out a dead horse, a dead pickup or a dead trail machine.

If your old Ford would not start and you could not repair it with basic tools you were stuck. And a man needed food, water and plenty of canvas because he was walkin'. If your horse died or got sick fifteen miles out the problem (and the solution) is exactly the same.

Today things have not changed much. Highways and cell phones have made it a bunch easier to get back though.

Forty years ago I drove an old 1962 Chevy that was falling apart. I was always fixing something to get home. I burned a clutch out doing donuts in the sand about 20 miles outside the City Limits. I had what I needed to change the clutch right there in my little tool box I kept behind the seat. But I had to walk out of there to get a new disk and bearing. So water, shoes and canvas was what was really important. 

Today I carry the very same tools I did back then but I worry a lot less about repairs. There is a lot less on a modern vehicle that I can repair or need to repair. So from my perspective the strategy for breakdowns has not changed much in the last forty years. Neither have the items in my tool box.

JMHO

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Forty years ago...

JMHO

Welll, forty years ago one'd be tearin' through the desert on two wheels rather than four.. But most folks who were doin' that then weren't prospectors..

So yeah, I'd say overall your then / now toolbox stuffers are valid still..

Swamp

EDIT: Hmmm, I see you were able to add dirt bikes to your statements.. I was wonderin' how you were able to do that without 'edit' showin' up,
until I realized you are a Premium Member.. That's a great way to make someone else look st....... ohhhhh, nevermind.........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Welll, forty years ago one'd be tearin' through the desert on two wheels rather than four.. But most folks who were doin' that then weren't prospectors..

So yeah, I'd say overall your then / now toolbox stuffers are valid still..

Swamp

EDIT: Hmmm, I see you were able to add dirt bikes to your statements.. I was wonderin' how you were able to do that without 'edit' showin' up,
until I realized you are a Premium Member.. That's a great way to make someone else look st....... ohhhhh, nevermind.........

Sorry man, it was unintentional. I edit and develop almost very post. That is just how I do it.

Edited by Bedrock Bob
I have to cick a special box for the post to show that it is edited. I didn't click it.
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Sorry man, it was unintentional. I edit and develop almost very post. That is just how I do it.

I figured as much.. Was gonna go back in n drop a smiley face at the end, which would have been the first actual edit, but you got there before me..

Swamp

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Dang, I never hit the button, perhaps I should (not joking) never really thought about it, but usually crappy spelling for me :25r30wi:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

18 minutes ago, Nugget Shooter said:

Dang, I never hit the button, perhaps I should (not joking) never really thought about it, but usually crappy spelling for me :25r30wi:

I have to edit almost every time I post, it's not because I can't spell or know exactly what I want to type but it's because my fingers can't remember where the correct keys are on the keyboard, so it's because my fingers can't spell correctly!! :idunno:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I just carry a picture of Tom in my breakdown box so I can look at the picture and think WWTD (What would Tom do?)      :idea:    

• Like 1
  • Haha 7