Nugget Shooter Forums

Quartz With Solid Metal Core?!? Is this ore??

Greetings, 

Pictured here are 4 different rocks all of which set off the metal detector and 3 of which a magnet will stick to. Is this ore

My family doubts so much that these are worth anything that I began to doubt it myself, so I acid etched 2 of them with diluted muriatic to prove to them, (and myself), these were not normal rocks.....and these do not seem normal to me!!! (My family remains unimpressed, lol.)

The first 4 pics are my most interesting one. I acid etched once, then saw that grey lump sticking out...so I did it again and now it's everywhere. If I do it again will just be a misshapen lump of what kind of looks like metal.

It's circumference is 26 inches one way by 24 inches the other way. Like a misshapen bowling ball. It's extremely dense and heavy.  Approx. 25lbs....I don't have a scale so compared it to steel plate weights and 25lbs is probably a conservative estimate. It's dull grey when dry and dark grey when wet. With a jewelers loupe I can see what look like flecks of silver on the exposed "metal" for lack of a better term. The bottom has revealed a different looking metallic looking substance that is almost white when dry and slightly more magnetic than the rest of the rock. I have a very old metal detector and though it detects, the range jumped back and for from silver to gold on this one.

The next hand held rock stays steady in the silver range and weighs about 8 pounds. It was also etched and also has what looks like flecks of silver. Sorry but I only got measurements on the first rock.

The big one has a weird almost purplish red streak across it. Mineral stain? The rest is dark black with what looks like flecks of silver under a loupe. There is a crust in some spots that I might be calcite. Sulphides maybe though? This rock stayed fairly steady in the silver range but jumped to gold a couple times, could just be my spaz detector though. It is really heavy, best guess is around 150lbs give or take a dozen.

The last big misshapen piece of quarts set off the detector, (jumped back and forth from silver to gold) but is not magnetic. It is also extremely dense and is easily 100lbs. Again, I can see what look like flecks of silver with the loupe. Tried to get some close up pics.

Well, am I as crazy as my parents and brother think I am or is there a chance these might be ore?? I honestly have no idea. I live in farm country and absolutely nobody around here knows a single darn thing about ore! Lol. It's been frustrating and I wish I found this site last year....but admittedly it's hard to believe some of the backyard landscaping rocks could be worth money...could they?? Nothing good ever happens to our family and my folks really deserve a win for once.

If so, what do I do? Who do I call? Or where do I take them? I'm in southwestern Ontario, Canada.

Whether good news or bad, any and all information is very much appreciated.

DSC01498.JPG

DSC01500.JPG

DSC01439.JPG

DSC01438.JPG

DSC01445.JPG

DSC01446.JPG

DSC01432.JPG

DSC01413.JPG

DSC01455.JPG

DSC01457.JPG

DSC01456.JPG

You laughing at me or is that always like that?

What's the grey magnetic lump in the middle? Why are they setting off the metal detector on it's lowest sensitivity? I'm new to all of this and mostly just enjoy etching rocks in muriatic acid and I enjoy suiseki...I've ran that detector over alot of rocks and 99.9% don't set it off. So why these? I'm looking for answers not insults.

6 hours ago, VolcanicIntrusion said:

You laughing at me or is that always like that?

What's the grey magnetic lump in the middle? Why are they setting off the metal detector on it's lowest sensitivity? I'm new to all of this and mostly just enjoy etching rocks in muriatic acid and I enjoy suiseki...I've ran that detector over alot of rocks and 99.9% don't set it off. So why these? I'm looking for answers not insults.

Homefire is not laughing at you, that's his avatar and it is always laughing.

Do a streak tests on the "metal" portions, e.g. rub it on a unfinished ceramic surface, such as the underside of your toliet tank lid, the bottom rim of a coffee cup, or the bottom of a floor tile and tell us what color the streak is left on the cermaic, you can also try to determine the hardness of the "metal" by trying to scratch it with various items of different hardness, these are common tests along with specific gravity, cyrstal structure, magnetic or not, etc to determine what a mineral is. 

You can also grind or file a "window" on the "metal" looking portion to see what the inside of the mineral truely looks like, it would help after you grind it to also "polish" it with some fine sand paper on a flat block, the smoother it is the better you will be able to really see the insides, it doesn't have to be a big "window" 1" to 1 1/2" sguare should be enough that you can get a good photo.

My best guess is that you have some "hot" rocks, e.g. magnetite or hematite, both of which are an iron ore, a magnet will readily stick to magnetite, but not as readily to hematite but hematite does become more magnetic when heated.

Most of your photos do show what appears to be a granite.

Neither gold or silver are magnetic, but that doesn't mean you don't or do have some of either in there somewhere, the only way you will find out if you do or not without a real visual of a big piece of either is to crush the rocks to a powder and pan it out to see if there is any, BUT that is a big task considering the size of these rocks.

• Like 1

Homefire gave you an answer without insults. Why do you think you've been insulted?

as to my answer, well I agree. You've got ordinary granite there. The silver flecks you're seeing are mica. 

• Like 1

Ore is a material that has profitable values. That is not ore.

It is granite. Granite will often make a detector wail. Especially a big hunk of it

The mineral in the rock causing the magnetism and signal is hematite. The reason a detector sounds off on it is way too insulting to explain here. But take my word for it, it is common everyday granite. It is behaving exactly like granite should despite the feelings of persecution and disbelief. The only thing that can help bring the situation into parity is to change from within because the rock isn't going to change.

In other words when geology fails you can always fall back on psychology for your answer. They are both science and will get you to the same place albeit on different paths.

The way I see it there are only two solutions to the conundrum. Either accept the fact that many rocks like this will make a detector wail and attract a magnet or "believe" that this is a special rock. Lots of guys are in your exact position. Without the knowledge and experience to know for themselves they all must choose what to "believe".  One path is just as good as the other as far as the human end of it is concerned. As long as you aren't expecting the rock to "believe" then the field of possibilities is wide open.

My suggestion is to call it granite and not try to force the rock to pretend it is something it is not.  Humans seem to do just fine working solely on beleifs but it could not be healthy for the rock. 

• Like 3
  • Hmmmmmm 1

Granite is a name given to a rock with a wide variety of rocks: " granite is an igneous rock with between 20% and 60% quartz by volume, and at least 35% of the total feldspar ." When we think of quartz, it is Silicon Dioxide, but the key to granite is it has feldspar and quarts.  The metal detector is probably just sounding off on a hot rock, something very common in the gold fields out west. 

My two detectors sound off to hot rocks differently.  The sound is "different" than a real target, not as crisp as a true metal target, and tends to sound off more one way than the other.  Some rocks that look identical to me are hot and others not.  I think its just whatever trace iron was in it when the rock cooled.  I have no idea why some non-metallic rocks are hot, and others not.  Don't think anyone has done chemical analysis and scientific studies on it.

If you're lucky enough to trace it back to the source and find the bedrock it came from, if it is large enough, perhaps it can be quarried and made into something.  I do look for things like that, and found a huge quarts area about 100' X 100' X 100', but the rock was way to cracked to be of any use for countertops.  Even if you did find it, now it becomes an operation with heavy equipment to make countertops, but ore, no.

If you really want to crush and pan, go ahead.  Not quite sure what you were trying to prove with muraic acid.  I truly don't know much about acids other than  vinegar can react with limestone cement and caliche, and hydrofluoric dissolves quarts.  Some react with metal and plastic, but others don't.   Not sure what test muraic acid is.

With a name of volcanic intrusion, I would think that you recognize granite as being an igneous intrusive rock.

• Like 1

The magnetite or ilmentite in granite are responsible for sounding off on your detector. But not all granite will set off a dectector in which case there's probably not enough ilmentite or magnetite to set it off..imho.

9 minutes ago, wet/dry washer said:

from ontario, maybe can help me. research old public records on "the great fires of 8 october 1871" and post in meteorite section. 

thanks, bob

A prime example of beliefs trumping science. Physics and geology have not been able to address this disconnect. Psychology hasn't worked much better either.

Edited by Bedrock Bob
Because hot falling granite set the woods on fire
  • Haha 2
  • Irritated 1
  • 2 weeks later...