Nugget Shooter Forums

I am not sure whether this rock is a diamond or a meteorite but I know it is something cool. It is perfectly clear from most angles but it has a bright blue spirit that flashes when turned at just the right angle.

Could it be gold? Platinum?

DSCN0487.JPG

I took it to a geologist and he told me it could be nephelene syenite or something from Neptune that is very old. It has a positive streak test and has a specific gravity of 420. A guy told me to cut it open and scratch it on a toilet tank lid but I think that is a bunch of schist.

Can anyone identify this stone for me?

• Like 1
On 11/23/2018 at 11:17 AM, Bedrock Bob said:

I am not sure...

That's a cream soda Jelly Belly with its coating licked off.. Think we'd fall for that..? Nice try...

Swamp

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Swampstomper Al said:

That's a cream soda Jelly Belly with its coating licked off.. Think we'd fall for that..? Nice try...

Swamp

It almost looks like something that would taste good huh? I swear my mouth waters when I see a few of them all tumbled smooth. They look like hard candy or something. 

• Like 1
On 11/23/2018 at 12:19 PM, Bedrock Bob said:

Definitely a lunar! You really know your meteorites my friend!

I do the best I can with what little information I have but I'm wrong occasionally. It's always better to have the specimen in hand so you can do the usual tests rather then rely on photos and a description.

• Like 1

So here is a fairly good crystal that obviously came from a distant planet. It has a partial fusion crust with a roll over bottom lip. It is oriented and has 23 different poles.

I am fairly certain it is a rare meteoritic lavender diamond. It was found in the meteorite rich area just north of Lake Deming. Apache legend says they were so hot when they fell they roasted all the venison on the east flank of Cook's Peak and boiled all the catfish in the Hatch River. You can still see old burned junipers dotting the hillsides in this area.

Scientists have proven they came from the undifferentiated mass that formed Uranus. This was in the early days of the solar system as the planets were still accreting. So these are some of the oldest and most valuable lavender diamonds in existence. Much more valuable and much older than the other lavender diamonds from Pluto which is not even a real planet anymore.

DSCN0453.JPG

• Like 2

The specific gravitometer reading asks (and answers) many questions.

Edited by Saul R W
Also, that's not a crystal in the OP. It's a display piece stolen from the Reagan Library. Probably peppermint flavored, not cream soda.
  • Haha 1