Nugget Shooter Forums
RandomRocks

Northwoods meteorite

I'm a newbe at this but read the year long post about the meteorite found in Wisconsin near Milwaukee. I think l might have found one also, I'll try to post picks of my rock in this post, hopefully there might be some help to put me in the right direction. I found it in upper North Wisconsin, very chrome in the crudely polished area, but I'm intrigued for sure. 

20170517_222752.jpg

20181114_144129.jpg

• Like 2

It looks vesicular, which an iron would not be.  Can you cut into it and expose more of the interior?

• Like 1

Random Rocks,

.     Go down to the drugstore, and buy a nickel test kit.  The Nickel Alert kit is pricey, retailing for $34 to $40, so ask for a "Spot" test kit, it is only about 20 bucks.  Use the kit on the polished area after making sure there is no left over residue from polishing.  And yes, Mike is right, your piece is on the "bubbly" side.

• Like 1

Well l have been speaking with William Cordua, a retired Emeritus professor of Geology and l sent him some of my pictures, he thinks the yellowish substance in the pits is ancient weathered out (olivine) some kind of crystals that used to be inside, he said it looks like the specimen could be thousands of years old (on earth) billions of years old specimen. Definitely going to get a (nickel test kit). Getting excited a bit....

Interesting find but looks like some form of slag IMO. I can’t say that I have ever seen a piece of pallisite with weathered out olivine from a whole specimen, uncut. That being said, stranger things have been know to happen. Good luck and keep us posted. 

Jayray

Edited by Jayray