Nugget Shooter Forums
eannis6

Micrometeorite Find

Hello All!

I am new to this forum. Despite all of the misinformation on the internet about micrometeorites, with the guidance of Jon Larson’s book “in search of stardust”, I finally found a micrometeorite after months of searching. It is a stone about .1mm in diameter. Here are the pictures. Thanks for looking!

Ethan

A4C5A838-4B23-40F7-9976-38A74B8B2A76.jpeg

9DFEDA93-4B98-4E65-B590-7C19513ED843.jpeg

818CF879-23F0-49C4-9DD1-CCF05C0952DF.jpeg

Edited by eannis6
  • Like 2

Ethan,

The crystalline structure would seem to negate that it is a micrometeorite. Being magnetic would have no consequence for it to be a micrometeorite for small particles. Why do you suspect that it is a micrometeorite? Everything you show counters standard description.

By the way, you have extremely high quality pics.

billpeters

It is indeed 100% a barred olivine micrometeorite. You can tell by the “Christmas tree” patterns, as well as barred olivine lines. Also- I am comparing to data available from the SPWW (South Pole water well) collection of micrometeorites.

Edited by eannis6
  • Like 1

Also- the nearly perfect iron spherules commonly found in roof debris are almost guaranteed not to be micrometeorites and are almost always anthropologic in nature.

• Like 1

Are the white crystals dendritic magnetite?

Nice photograph! Scanning?

Edited by clay
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, clay said:

Are the white crystals dendritic magnetite?

Nice photograph! Scanning?

Thanks Clay! They are SEM images! Taken by a friend of mine. They are magnetite crystals according to Jon Larsen. Here is mm 508 from his collection:

A6222B3A-D104-41CF-9C22-7A779D2F29E5.jpeg

• Like 2

Wow, access to a SEM, how lucky!

MM identification requires substantial lab analysis, I don't think it can be done simply from visual observation, but seems like you're on the right track.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mikestang said:

Wow, access to a SEM, how lucky!

MM identification requires substantial lab analysis, I don't think it can be done simply from visual observation, but seems like you're on the right track.

Visual verification of micrometeorites was science fiction only few years ago, but the research of Jon Larsen has made it possible. Also I had chemical analysis and it matches up to others :) (it was verified in the lab by micrometeorite researcher Mr. Scötte Peterson)

Edited by eannis6

I do not find anything fascinating about this micrometeorite subject.  It took you "months of searching" for something that has no value ?  Why not aim bigger ?

I am not familiar with testing methodologies for micro meteorites, but the photos are very high quality.  A friend with SEM access is very nice.  Be good to him.  I would like to see more.

Ben

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Regmaglitch said:

I am not familiar with testing methodologies for micro meteorites, but the photos are very high quality.  A friend with SEM access is very nice.  Be good to him.  I would like to see more.

Ben

Thanks Ben! Can’t wait to find more! :)

4 hours ago, adam said:

I do not find anything fascinating about this micrometeorite subject.  It took you "months of searching" for something that has no value ?  Why not aim bigger ?

The thing is, few facts are known about micrometeorites, and Jon Larsen sells his 6 for $1200 to NASA and other private buyers- so they do have value. So far I am one of only 12-15 people worldwide who have found actual lab verified micrometeorites. So I think they are pretty interesting! Most non-scholarly sources on the web are just plain wrong about what is and isn’t an actual micrometeorite. Also, I’m not sure if you meant to or not, but your post came across as kind of rude to me. If it’s not interesting to you, that’s fine :) but you don’t need to tell me.

Edited by eannis6
  • Like 2