Nugget Shooter Forums

Here's Why The Suzuki Samurai Outsold The Jeep Wrangler 2 to 1 in 1987

34 minutes ago, chrisski said:

Looks like a great vehicle.  One of the ones I am looking at if I get a motorhome..

Get one that has only lived in the desert if you can. They are out there -- with little or no rust. 

• Like 1

They are sweet vehicles. Lots of guys around here love them. 

There is a throttle body injection setup you can cabbage from another vehicle that really makes them run. I know a couple guys that tinker with them and they run pressure carbs or throttle body injection or some such thing.

I think you could turn them upside down and shake them and they would still make good horsepower. They can really kick up the dirt!

As long as you don't try to put a huge tire on one they make fantastic little vehicles. They will go anywhere my FJ-40 will go and then some. 

• Like 1

I've got two of the hardtops here. They are for sale.

Rough ride but they will go anywhere except at speed on the freeway. More likely to go end over end than tip on their side so the soft top can be an adventure in a crash. Like Slim says the big thing to watch out for is rust. I has a friend lose the rusty body on his just going down the highway.

• Like 1

I worked for a toyota/susuki/suburau/Gmc/saab (You get the idea), when they first came out. (Collision shop) I want to tell you those fenders screws, (not bolts) were a bitc* to get out after being in that Florida weather for 6 months.

Edited by bc5391
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

From the For What It's Worth Department - a Suzuki Samurai holds the world's record for the highest altitude an internal combustion engine powered vehicle has been driven to ... over 21,000 feet somewhere in South America.  I've seen a photo of it parked at that altitude!

By the way, it had huge oversize tires on it to provide very high ground clearance.

Check it out ... I'll try to post a photo of it here:  http://samurairecord1.jpg

Edited by pnichols
  • Like 1

Normally aspirated cars, including the Samurai, can not operate at those altitudes. The Samurai pictured used a modified 16 valve motor with a large supercharger. Definitely not stock.

I doubt a normally aspirated Samurai could exceed 14,000 feet. Even then it would be crawling and spitting along at walking speeds as you adjusted that little carb to keep a working mix.

Tough little cars but they can't ignore the laws of physics.