Nugget Shooter Forums
afreakofnature

Help on Jim Straight and Larry Sallee books (kind of a repost)

Mr. Reese, I guess you must be a lot younger than me.
I have a lot of trouble "understanding" people in todays world/walk of life.
So you are going to write and publish a book, and you want other people to pay for the cost of doing that ( go fund me solicitation ).
And in turn when you have the book printed /bound and ready for sale to the public, you're goin to charge people to buy the book.
So I guess you make money all the way around. :oregonian_winesmiley:.

1 hour ago, frank c said:

Mr. Reese, I guess you must be a lot younger than me.
I have a lot of trouble "understanding" people in todays world/walk of life.
So you are going to write and publish a book, and you want other people to pay for the cost of doing that ( go fund me solicitation ).
And in turn when you have the book printed /bound and ready for sale to the public, you're goin to charge people to buy the book.
So I guess you make money all the way around. :oregonian_winesmiley:.

I think what Mr. Townes is saying, if you donate $15.00 (or more) you are in effect, getting a book at less than the retail price since your (donation) is helping him pay to get the book published. Sounds like a creative way to finance the project and pay off the investors. Risk vs return. Hope it works out. Especially for the investors. :)

• Like 1

I have a new 2020 prospector's calendar coming out. 12 action packed photos of men with questionable hygiene finding valuable nuggets, meteorites and treasure. All of them with hidden scratch and sniff panels so you can scratch around wherever you dare and find your own hidden treasure!

I am doing pre-orders for $20 each. When they are released to the public they will be $30. 

:)

• Like 1

What bmc said is correct. It is a means of preorder. Those who donate get a book. Im 50 and I have been detecting for gold for 39 years. Bedrock bob you are clearly rude and an ass.

2 hours ago, Goldseeker4000 said:

What bmc said is correct. It is a means of preorder. Those who donate get a book. Im 50 and I have been detecting for gold for 39 years. Bedrock bob you are clearly rude and an ass.

You promote your book, I promote my calendar. Where is the rub?

You are just miffed because I thought of the scratch and sniff angle first aren't you?

• Haha 1

Man oh man, this thread skidded off the road, rolled three times, and landed on the driver! Lol

Has anyone contacted Mr. Straight about another run of his book? With what a copy goes for on the second hand market, it seems like it would be a hot seller for him. Even at $50 a copy, it would still be less than half of used on eBay.

Meanwhile, I too would love to get my greasy sandwich clamps on a copy..

Regards, Kyle

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Trailertrash said:

Man oh man, this thread skidded off the road, rolled three times, and landed on the driver! Lol

Has anyone contacted Mr. Straight about another run of his book? With what a copy goes for on the second hand market, it seems like it would be a hot seller for him. Even at $50 a copy, it would still be less than half of used on eBay.

Regards, Kyle

Unfortunately Jim is up there in age and his health is not the best so I doubt very seriously if he's up to or able to do anything else on getting more copies of his book printed.

• Thanks 1

did Jim Straight use to live in Palo Verde CA? mining partner in smoke tree California has articles by Jim and they corresponded to each other. be going out there soon.

4 hours ago, wet/dry washer said:

did Jim Straight use to live in Palo Verde CA? mining partner in smoke tree California has articles by Jim and they corresponded to each other. be going out there soon.

This thread must have a flat tire up front. It is pulling hard to the right and just can't stay on track.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I would be interested in an ebook too.  

Edited by afreakofnature

On 4/3/2019 at 9:53 PM, Trailertrash said:

Regards, Kyle

The publishing rights have been sold according to Rob Allison.  But the new owner will not republish and Rob even tried to buy the rights to no avail.  So no more books...😔

• wow 1

21 minutes ago, afreakofnature said:

The publishing rights have been sold according to Rob Allison.  But the new owner will not republish and Rob even tried to buy the rights to no avail.  So no more books...😔

Wow. That's a bummer, and a bit of a head-scratcher:idunno:

On 4/3/2019 at 7:35 AM, Goldseeker4000 said:

Yes I have considered ebook and I am still considering that, but my focus is paperback as that is what I have had the most requests for. The book will have enhanced color photos on premium stock. There are only 12-24 pages, maybe a little more, that don't have photos. This book will be high end for a field guide. I already have 200 people waiting to buy this book and it is going to cost $8000 to get it printed for the first 1500 books and setting up the website in a professional manner for ordering the book online worldwide as well as social media marketing. I need to be able to come up with this by June so I am going to start a gofundme page under business section to raise the donations. Every person donating $15.00 or more will receive a book.

Reese: Here's your post where you mentioned a $15.00 donation. This is what I was referring to in my original post. Just to show that the $15.00 amount didn't materialize out of thin air. In the above post you sound like you were committed to the plan you were describing. The amount was specific and that's why I asked you about it. I understand that you changed your mind. That's your prerogative, of course. No harm, no foul. Good luck with the book. 

As I stated I did not go the route of go fund me. People didnt like that idea.

8 minutes ago, Goldseeker4000 said:

As I stated I did not go the route of go fund me. People didnt like that idea.

I got that part Reese. No quarrel there. It was the part where you stated that you never said $15.00 that had me puzzled. Here's what you actually said: " Bmc said what reese is saying is if you donate something you get a book . He said $15  and I said correct those who donate will recieve a book. I never said $15. I was refering to the concept that those who donate will recieve a book"

My bad. Point is IT WAS AN IDEA I WAS FLOATING AND THAT IDEA WAS DROPPED. THIS IS THE LAST IM HASHING THIS OUT.

Nothing suspicious about it. You try writing a book of this magnitude and working out all the kinks so you can get it out to people who want it. Its a large, stressful endeavor.  If you have a problem with it DON'T BUY IT!

38 minutes ago, Goldseeker4000 said:

Nothing suspicious about it. You try writing a book of this magnitude and working out all the kinks so you can get it out to people who want it. Its a large, stressful endeavor.  If you have a problem with it DON'T BUY IT!

Yes, it seems like you may be under some stress. Kinda nervous. A little cagy. That makes it even more suspicious. :rolleyes:

You are a crap stirrer aren't you? Sounds suspicious to me.

• Haha 1
  • well done 1

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Goldseeker4000 said:

You are a crap stirrer aren't you? Sounds suspicious to me.

Where there is crap I will stir. :laught16::25r30wi:

Edited by Bedrock Bob
If my posts are not suspicious then someone else is posting as me.

Goldseeker4K

Congratulations on putting your project together, it certainly looks good, at least the front and rear covers do.  I know there is a market for high quality stuff with good content and wish you well going forward.  Bob has been known to stir a bit, but he does it with style and grace, so all things considered things could be worse.

Carry on.

• Like 3

Pairadiceau, thanks for the comment. The inside will be good as well. I'm not one to do things half measure. There will be good content in this book. It will get you thinking outside the box when it comes to gold detecting. It will be a good read. When this one is making its way out to those that buy it, I will be starting the third book on detecting for gold.

• Like 1

Well, from the articles i have read of yours in the ICMJ, you are knowledgeable and you share that with the readers. Keep up the good work and get the pricing figured out, then ill buy one of your books. Keep at it, you will get it figured out.