Nugget Shooter Forums

Help on Jim Straight and Larry Sallee books (kind of a repost)

afreakofnature

Hello all! I can not seem to find a copy to purchase of the 8th Edition of Jim Straight's Follow the Drywashers Vol 3. The Nuggetshooters Bible.  I have the 6th Edition and I would like to see what has been updated and added since.  I have heard there are over 40 new pages of material!

The other book that I have been wanting to read is Larry Sallee's The Complete Unabridged Zip Zip!  I just can not afford the $200 price tag on this book nor do any libraries have it.

I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to let me borrow their copies.  I would only need it for a couple weeks.  I would pay for shipping both ways (PayPal friends), I could even put a deposit down or something.  Would anyone be willing to give a hand?  Thank you!

• 4 months later...

In case you are interested I have just finished a book I have been writing on gold detecting. There are topics covered in this book that are not covered in any other book. One such topic is the "Townes theory". I came up with this process to help find the earliest stages of a current stream drainage (creek). Keep in mind some creeks this theory will work with and some wont. Streams can and will change paths back and forth across a drainage corridor. I have info on Steve's detector prospector forum on this new book. The post is New gold detecting book nearing completion. My book is titled The Nugget Shooters Field Guide. It has 12 chapters, 170 color photos with color coded arrows, circles and lines to pinpoint what I am talking about in the captions. There are 29,523 words. It will be a 6x9 book perfect bound. My proof reader just finished up and it will be passed off to the publisher to design the final layout of the inside of the pages as there are so many photos. There is also a few photos contributed by Chris Ghulson and Rob Allison. Some things I talk about are terrain spacific for example mountainous as apposed to wide open flat areas and vise versa and also alot of info on things that can be applied any where in the world. I am waiting for the snow to melt so I can get out and take the photos for the cover asap. It will be a very informative book. It you have any questions feel free to ask.

The title is "The Nugget Shooters Field Guide" by Reese Townes (Goldseeker4000, Goldseeker5000). This book is going to be spendy for me to get printed as it has 170 full color photos with detailed captions and color coded arrows and circles highlighting points of interest of what I want the viewer to pay attention to while out detecting.  There will be info on detecting hydraulic mines, dredge tailings, hardrock tailings, heavily forested areas, open areas, dealing with hotrocks, hydro-shocking your quartz/gold specimens, cleaning specimens in acid, dealing with base camp and in the field saftey in regards to snakes,grizzlies, black bears, cougars, and people who want to rob you. There will be info I learned from two old timers who are now passed away on recognizing in hillsides and mountainsides what is known as looking for the white line to put you into ancient river channels. My book covers effective strategies for working various types of deposits, detectors and gear. I intentionally stay away from talking about things that you may see in other books. I want to deliver insights to a fresh approch  when it comes to detecting. I have been detecting for gold since 1980. I have developed an applied theory to find the earliest stage of some streams given the drainage meets the criteria I talk about in the book. I am considering getting a website up and running to purchase the book. Since the printing cost is very high I am considering taking preorders on the website to get the book printed in a much shorter time provided I can meet my target preorders of 600 books to ensure the printing costs are covered by a too be determined  release date. If any of you are interested let me know on this post. This book will retail for $21.95 and will have over 200 pages with 170 color photos with enhanced color inks printed on premium stock. It will be worth the price. It will be 6x9 in format. There will be much more covered in this book that many detectorist, new or seasoned from around the world will benefit from. This book has taken me 2 years and 10 months to write. It is very informative and up to date.

I'm joking with you, when you added the above post with all the info of ,...……"The title is "The Nugget Shooters Field Guide" W0W this happens to be (Nuggetshooter) forums, " it has 170 full color photos with detailed captions and color coded arrows and circles highlighting points of interest of what I want the viewer to pay attention to"
When I read that far I started thinking "ALICES RESTARAUNT"
All the glossy photos with the circles an arrows an...………….
:reading:

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, Goldseeker4000 said:

The title is "The Nugget Shooters Field Guide" by Reese Townes (Goldseeker4000, Goldseeker5000). This book is going to be spendy for me to get printed as it has 170 full color photos with detailed captions and color coded arrows and circles highlighting points of interest of what I want the viewer to pay attention to while out detecting.  There will be info on detecting hydraulic mines, dredge tailings, hardrock tailings, heavily forested areas, open areas, dealing with hotrocks, hydro-shocking your quartz/gold specimens, cleaning specimens in acid, dealing with base camp and in the field saftey in regards to snakes,grizzlies, black bears, cougars, and people who want to rob you. There will be info I learned from two old timers who are now passed away on recognizing in hillsides and mountainsides what is known as looking for the white line to put you into ancient river channels. My book covers effective strategies for working various types of deposits, detectors and gear. I intentionally stay away from talking about things that you may see in other books. I want to deliver insights to a fresh approch  when it comes to detecting. I have been detecting for gold since 1980. I have developed an applied theory to find the earliest stage of some streams given the drainage meets the criteria I talk about in the book. I am considering getting a website up and running to purchase the book. Since the printing cost is very high I am considering taking preorders on the website to get the book printed in a much shorter time provided I can meet my target preorders of 600 books to ensure the printing costs are covered by a too be determined  release date. If any of you are interested let me know on this post. This book will retail for $21.95 and will have over 200 pages with 170 color photos with enhanced color inks printed on premium stock. It will be worth the price. It will be 6x9 in format. There will be much more covered in this book that many detectorist, new or seasoned from around the world will benefit from. This book has taken me 2 years and 10 months to write. It is very informative and up to date.

All that sounds great but... 

Do you know where to get a copy of Jim Straight's 8th edition? Because that is what the OP was asking for. Just sayin"...

Edited by Bedrock Bob
My book has a scratch and sniff photo of me bending over to dig a nugget.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, frank c said:

Post a pic of the cover of the 8th edition.

I'll buy it.

AzNuggetBob

jim 002.JPG

jim 001.JPG

Wow Frank you like "ALICES RESTARAUNT Too.

AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

On 3/27/2019 at 9:35 AM, Goldseeker4000 said:

I can check a place in my town they may have one.

You might want to check out Jim Straight's publications. As you may know, he is highly regarded and his books are considered to contain a wealth of knowledge by members of this, and other forums. And, If I may offer a small word of well intended advice, do yourself a big favor and double check your typos/misspelled words (in your posts), as previously suggested. Keep in mind that your work product (THE BOOK) will be judged, at least partially, by the forum reader's perception of your attention to detail. If you don't notice or bother to take the time to make spelling corrections in your posts, a lot of folks may be hesitant to take you seriously or have any faith in your writing/prospecting abilities that you have reduced to book form. That said, I have read some of your work and enjoyed it. Especially the Murray/Libby Idaho connections. I happen to spend a summer in the area over 15 years ago, after the, "Roadbed of Gold" incident, which you may be familiar with. Remember Steve Burris? Or perhaps a few others whose names escape me at the moment. Steve found a 7 1/2 oz nugget in the roadbed that was being built using tailing pile gravel, either from Murray, Idaho to the Montana border, or Murray to Wallace, Idaho, can't remember which it was now. When I came through, I hit a couple of drainages on the way in to Murray, and picked up a nice little chunk in the Eagle creek area. Great country, fantastic scenery, and the Huckleberry milkshakes are worth fighting the bears over!

Best of luck with the new book!

Mac

Yes, I am Reese. I called the shop that might have either of those books and they do not have them. Sorry, I tried. I only get onto this sight with my phone, not my computer, so I dont have grammerly on the phone. My book has been professionally proof read and edited. It is now being handed off to the publisher today. I used to have word suggest on my phone but I got rid of it as it kept dropping in wrong words. I  chose the lesser of two annoyances regarding the spelling and punctuation when using my phone. As far as Steve goes and Murray, yes I know many stories regarding those days with the road construction and nuggets found there. The largest one I know of found there was 32 oz.

• Like 1

Goldseeker4000

Have you considered an ebook? 

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

Yes I have considered ebook and I am still considering that, but my focus is paperback as that is what I have had the most requests for. The book will have enhanced color photos on premium stock. There are only 12-24 pages, maybe a little more, that don't have photos. This book will be high end for a field guide. I already have 200 people waiting to buy this book and it is going to cost $8000 to get it printed for the first 1500 books and setting up the website in a professional manner for ordering the book online worldwide as well as social media marketing. I need to be able to come up with this by June so I am going to start a gofundme page under business section to raise the donations. Every person donating $15.00 or more will receive a book.