Nugget Shooter Forums
Chrisrobe

Is this a meteorite?

1 hour ago, Jayray said:

Hi there,

Terrestrial stone, such as ironstone or load stone, IMO. If it was an iron from space it wouldn't be as angular as it is. Most irons that land on Earth aren't flat on almost all sides but have the characteristic "thumb" prints. Did you do a streak test as well? What color was the streak? Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one, but you are learning.

Keep looking down, Jayray.

Thanks jay. 

Would ironstone and Loadstone cut like this? This is effectively like cutting hardened steel. Doesn’t really seem like it would need to be smelted to extract any metallic properties as it’s already acting like a solid piece of metal.

it is quite brittle though, interestingly. One of the chaps at work has said it looks like a solid piece of cast iron. Which it does when smashed open. But the shape is just too odd for me. 

47 minutes ago, Chrisrobe said:

Thanks bob. Appreciate that. The surface has those cutting disc marks in. I’ve since polished it down. I’m hoping it won’t of affected the core too much. The temperature was high but not in the 100s of degrees ( I could still touch it ).

do you think it would still be worth doing the etching? Would that determine if it were a meteorite? I do have access to a bandsaw but even then I think the thing would still get pretty hot, albeit a lot more controlled and cooler than a cutting disk. It also seemed to retain more heat than your typical metals ie ali/stainless/mild. I work in these materials and this thing was still pretty warm 40 minutes after the cut. 

what do you think it is? I’m trying to wrap my head around it. 

What would your next move be? 

Ps sorry if you’ve already told me what I should do. I re read your post and it’s hard to digest for a newbie x

17C42CD5-58D9-493A-9DCA-850DE3BF1590.jpeg

D2F07F79-9152-4090-BF86-C71D3302266F.jpeg

Chris,

I think it is always "worth it" because of the learning experience. Yes, I think you should follow this trail to the end!

Take it and a quantitative nickel test to someone who identifies meteorites. Use our discussion here to ask the appropriate questions.

It is not an earth mineral of any kind. It could only be a meteorite or tramp metal. You know this and are asking the right questions when people keep telling you it is a terrestrial iron mineral. It is not an iron mineral. You are correct that it is free metallic iron and that terrestrial iron would need to be smelted to exhibit those qualities.

Only an expert with the appropriate equipment could differentiate an iron artifact from an iron meteorite with metallurgy. That is the conundrum with suspect iron meteorites. 

You could try to do an etch on it and it should show a pattern if it had one. That might help an expert take it more seriously. Why not? It is just another chance to learn a bit about it. In the end the only way you will ever know for sure is to get it checked out and authenticated. Until then it is a tramp metal artifact of some kind.

Bob

• Like 2

HI Chrisrobe, 

.      I think your piece is what is referred to as bog iron.  It is very common in Britain and all of Northern Europe, and made up all the iron that was used in the Pre Roman Iron Age, and the later Viking Era.  Before being smelted to remove dross, it contains significant carbon and silica, which is WHY your metal is brittle.  Check it out.

Good Hunting,. Ben

• Like 2