Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Naser

Iam a meteorologist from the of Oman

I am a meteorologist from the Sultanate of Oman. I am terrified of searching for meteorites in the sands of Al Wahiba in the state of Badia. I have a metal detection device. I do not know where to show. Is it possible to help know the places where the meteorites fell in this particular region?

John B., a long time and world famous meteorite hunter knows a great deal about finding meteorites in Oman and other locations as well....  Maybe he will see your post and respond with his wisdom.  Good hunting!

• well done 1

My friend is John the meteorite hunter we have at the forum

do not use a magnet on meteorites, use a compass instead. take picture as lay with arrow pointing north before picking them up.

much more valuable when put on the market. have a xray spectrometer analysis done on them, forget the so called meteorite labs, most of them use a XRF gun which do not quantify elements lighter than titanium. good luck out there, have fun checking for poles with a compass, had one with five poles with only one pole pointing north.

30 minutes ago, wet/dry washer said:

do not use a magnet on meteorites, use a compass instead. take picture as lay with arrow pointing north before picking them up.

much more valuable when put on the market. 

I have yet to see a SINGLE ad for any meteorite where meteorite value is partially determined by whether a magnet was used on it or not.

Morlock, a fresh fall should be collected with as little human disturbance as possible...something about the magnetic properties....scientists care. I doubt the average collector has a clue.

Naser, if you know Mr. B why not contact him directly?

fred 

• Like 1

Hi Naser and All

I don't know you I don't think? But if you go to your local post office or the Royal Omanie Police station . I'm sure you'll find my mug shot up on their bulliten boards. Since metal detectors are outlawed there you probably have one of my old ones the Royal Omanie Police Bastards confiscated from me. I had a friend Geoff Notkin of Meteorite Men fame build a web page for me after we were released from prison and out of your craphole country. The web page name was dontvisitoman.com  , In Oman you really don't need a detector. Just drive around the desert and look for black items in the desert. If you bite it and you break a tooth it's probably a meteorite. If its soft a chewy it's probably camel dung.

Happy Huntin John B.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • well done 3

7 minutes ago, John B. said:

Hi Naser and All

I don't know you I don't think? But if you go to your local post office or the Royal Omanie Police station . I'm sure you'll find my mug shot up on their bulliten boards. Since metal detectors are outlawed there you probably have one of my old ones the Royal Omanie Police Bastards confiscated from me. I had a friend Geoff Notkin of Meteorite Men fame build a web page for me after we were released from prison and out of your craphole country. The web page name was dontvisitoman.com  , In Oman you really don't need a detector. Just drive around the desert and look for black items in the desert. If you bite it and you break a tooth it's probably a meteorite. If its soft a chewy it's probably camel dung.

Happy Huntin John B.

John B., thanks for a memorable post.  If not for the obviously painful backstory, it would have been amusing to read your brief summary of the sultanate.

maybe, Mr. B can post the video of him hunting meteorites in his underwear???

Hi. Mr. B I hope you are doing very well.

fred

• well done 1