Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Topaxs

mysterious object

189.JPGHi guys,

I am writing from Germany and I try to get some help from you, because the German Forums are not very hhelpful if you are a newbee in this materie.

Short to my person: I am Eric, 57 years and I live on an island in Spain for a couple of years now.

I apreaciate your forum and it is very informativ. ( sorry for my bad English ). I am not used to it.

OK - make a long story short .... Since aprox. 45 years I have a Stone / Meteorite or what ever it is and I want to find out, what it really is. I never took care about it in former times but now ... I have a little suspect. This object comes  - as far as I could investigate - from Alexandria / Egypt  in the 20th or eraly 30th to Berlin. End of the 70ths I have gotten it from an old man together with some other artefacts from Egypt. 

I searching now for a while through the internet to find out what it could be but it is difficult get any realistic results. Some tell it could be from the moon, other from martian and other tell it is crab and fake or just a stone from a river... So I hope, you can help me a bit further. Thank you in advance.

To the Object: 

Most parts of it is covered in a black skin. One part ( ca. 15% is not. It meassures 55 x 35 x 35 mm and weights 146 gramm. It does not response to a magnet. Also not to a strong one. For its size it seems to be quite heavy. Heavier then a stone of the same size. I will put some not very professional fotos. If someone needs more - of course I coud send.

For me and after looking on hundreds of fotos in the net it looks like a meteorite. But I found only very less which look a bit similiar to my stone.

At the end of all - I have no idea and maybe I can get a tipp from you here. 

I thank you in advance and I hope for any response. Thank you.

best regards from Mallorca

Eric011.JPG135.jpg

150.jpg

006.JPG

014 (2).JPG

102.JPG

188.JPG

151.JPG

005.JPG

171.JPG

177.JPG

Far from an expert, but the thing looks like coal to me.  Is it soft and crack easy?

Thx Chrisski for your fast reply.

For coal I think it is too heavy and it is hard to crack. 

br 

Eric

Thank you for asking...your English is much better than my German!

I doubt that is any kind of meteorite- sorry.

I also do not know what it is...get better pictures and post it on the mineral forum-they may have some idea.

fred

It was found near Alexandria in Egypt between 1929 and 1930. So far I could investigate.

Morlock - what makes you sure, that it is not a meteorite ? 

I am really not an expert, but if it is not a meteorite what could it be then. 

It looks like a sulphide or an arsenide. It is definitely not a meteorite. It is a combination of metals combined with Sulphur. Exactly what you would call it depends on the metals involved.

Iron, coper, lead, arsenic, and a host of other metals all create sulphide minerals that look like that. From pyrites to galena and on to arsenides they all are very similar. 

Thanks Bob,

you might be right with your analyseis. Mabe a Magnetite with Phyrit.  What me doubts is only its heavy weight in comparison to other mineral stones and it is not magnetic.

regards from Germany

A mineral specimen maybe, but not a meteorite.  Your English is fine.

Keep hunting.