Nugget Shooter Forums
Dale c

Looking for name of a lab to send meteorite to for testing

Hello everyone I am new to meteorites for the last 2 years I've been getting very interested in them. I have read a lot of books and think I got a good idea of what what is I need help knowing the best place and  address to send testing out to get testing done on my metorite

Hi Dale,

.        Now that you have had a local expert or university Meteoriticist tell you that your specimen is a meteorite, you need to cut off a piece that is either "20 grams, or 20%" of the stone, to go for testing, classification, and as a Type Specimen to stay at the Meteoritics lab.  You can make it more likely to be classified by also making a thin section for the lab.  Most university labs seem to have a two-year backup on material to be classified, budgets are low, and time on the micro probe is precious, so they may tell you that they are not accepting new material for classification at all, that they are only interested if it is something exotic like lunar, planetary, or HED.  If it is from a new, witnessed fall, they may move you to the head of the line.  If they are willing to classify it, they may ask for money to do it.

Best Regards, Ben

On 11/6/2018 at 12:43 AM, Regmaglitch said:

Hi Dale,

.        Now that you have had a local expert or university Meteoriticist tell you that your specimen is a meteorite, you need to cut off a piece that is either "20 grams, or 20%" of the stone, to go for testing, classification, and as a Type Specimen to stay at the Meteoritics lab.  You can make it more likely to be classified by also making a thin section for the lab.  Most university labs seem to have a two-year backup on material to be classified, budgets are low, and time on the micro probe is precious, so they may tell you that they are not accepting new material for classification at all, that they are only interested if it is something exotic like lunar, planetary, or HED.  If it is from a new, witnessed fall, they may move you to the head of the line.  If they are willing to classify it, they may ask for money to do it.

Best Regards, Ben

Thank you for the info it is much appreciated

• Like 1

Thank you thank you for the information it is very much appreciated. I have found some very interesting meteorites but getting them classified seems to be impossible. 

I agree posting pics would be a great idea.  It will help steer you towards whether or not you want to spend the money to your sample tested professionally or not.  I recently searched for a university that would let the average Joe send them a sample, but could not find one.  Most left on their website something to the effect of "don't send us a sample, we get too many and will throw it out without even a look."  Perhaps a while ago they would have done it for everyone, but with the show Meteormen, too many samples sent in.  A couple people may have a good rep and have contacts with a professor that will analyze, but not the average Joe.

If you search on this forum, you should find an address.

• Thanks 1

On 11/7/2018 at 7:23 AM, chrisski said:

I agree posting pics would be a great idea.  It will help steer you towards whether or not you want to spend the money to your sample tested professionally or not.  I recently searched for a university that would let the average Joe send them a sample, but could not find one.  Most left on their website something to the effect of "don't send us a sample, we get too many and will throw it out without even a look."  Perhaps a while ago they would have done it for everyone, but with the show Meteormen, too many samples sent in.  A couple people may have a good rep and have contacts with a professor that will analyze, but not the average Joe.

If you search on this forum, you should find an address.

Thank you