Nugget Shooter Forums
Andyy

Ugly Ground but Beautiful Gold

I enjoy trying to find new ground and get fairly lucky from time to time.  Of course, that can mean you get a few skunks in between.  Heck, sometimes more than a few.  But this trip is what makes up for those times.

The day started out normal enough.  Way out in the desert away from the city.  Away from the stress, away from the noise.   Just me and my truck scrambling to get to a place I had just detected a couple weeks earlier.  On a previous trip, I had found a couple dinks in this shallow wash.  It was a little strange because there were no rocks thrown out of the wash or hand stacks or dry wash tailings.  It just looked good to me.  Basically, earlier prospectors either missed the area or it just didn’t show worth it in their gold pan.  And it had already given up two small pieces of gold to me, which did not even add up to a gram.  And after finding these pieces I had continued a couple hundred feet up the wash and the ground just got ugly.  Me, being the expert geologist (sarcasm) I decided to jump to the next wash and search there instead of finishing the entire wash   Of course nothing else was found in this second wash.  But on this trip, I wanted to finish that wash.  Simply because it was the right thing to do … and as my friends always say … Beep It All!!  And so I did.  

Only 50 feet or so where I left the wash previously, I hit nugget after nugget after nugget, until I had reached a new GPZ record of 11 pcs.  Even with my GM1000, my record was only 10pcs.  So this turned out to be a great day.

The largest piece was 5.5 grams.  Most of the others pieces were over a gram but a couple were smaller.  Total weight was ½ ounce. 

Here is the quartz stringer I believe most of the gold likely eroded from.  It was in the bottom of the wash and ran right down the center.  Note the red hematite along with it.

Pic1.JPG

And here are a couple gold pics

Pic2.JPGPic4.JPG

It's still out there!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • well done 4
  • wow 4

Holy smokes!!! You killed it!!
 WTG :yesss: Glad you beeped it all. It sure turned out good for you.

Tom H.

• Like 1

Really beautiful gold - Wow, Congratulations!:ya::party-smiley-027[1]:

• Like 1

Wow Andy!! nice job. Awesome nugs.

• Like 1

Atsa way ya do it ! Money fer nothin an yer chicks fer free !
Congrats !

• Like 1

Oh, using quarters these days to show nugget size are ya..? :4chsmu1:
That's killin' it, Andyy..! :yesss:

Swamp

• Like 2

Way to go Andy !!  :yesss:  :thumbsupanim

You'll have to give me the precise location at the outing....  :brows:

:4chsmu1:

Luke

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

All - thank you for the kind words.

9 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Oh, using quarters these days to show nugget size are ya..? :4chsmu1:
That's killin' it, Andyy..! :yesss:

Swamp

Swamp - I was thinking I would try to work my way up to a dollar bill :brows:.    Well one can dream I guess. 

We need to get you back out here for the outing.

Edited by Andyy
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Andyy said:

Swamp...We need to get you back out here for the outing.

Believe me when I say you have no idea how hard I try to make this happen..
The next time (which will be the first time) I'm able to get three uninterrupted weeks and five large
together at the same time and at the same time as one of the outings, I or we'll be there..!

Swamp

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing Andy that is awesome! 

I think you should chunk out the quartz vein and crush it. You know to be sure!!

• Like 1

Nice looking chunk'rs Andy,..:yesss:..I don't think that they have traveled far;.. must be fairly close to the source??!!.....I get excited as well when I run across a quartz vein cutting thru decomposed granite bedrock.

Let me know if you would like some "help"  :brows: digging that wash straight down to bedrock ;. I like moving boulders. :Diggin_a_hole:   Most likely some more big ones down a bit further.   Gary  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, LowPoint said:

Nice looking chunk'rs Andy,..:yesss:..I don't think that they have traveled far;.. must be fairly close to the source??!!.....I get excited as well when I run across a quartz vein cutting thru decomposed granite bedrock.

Let me know if you would like some "help"  :brows: digging that wash straight down to bedrock ;. I like moving boulders. :Diggin_a_hole:   Most likely some more big ones down a bit further.   Gary  

Yeppers, Gary.  I also was thinking a little more dirt is going to need a mov'n.  The nice thing about this location is I found only two pieces of trash.  Both bird shot.  Trying to track down one of the pieces of bird shot actually caused me to angle the coil towards the bank, where I consequently found the piece that looks like a big frosted flake. 

1 hour ago, fishing8046 said:

Thanks for sharing Andy that is awesome! 

I think you should chunk out the quartz vein and crush it. You know to be sure!!

Yes, you can bet your bottom dollar I am at least going to track it to see if it continues over the hillsides.  If the gold monster senses anything in the quartz, I will be crushing some rock. 

I have found a lot of gold within 10 feet of quartz stringers that cross small washes.  Sometimes they are on the upstream side and other times the downstream.  Strangely enough, mostly upstream.  (and it held for this case as well-as this quartz, though parallel with the wash, only first protruded the wash downstream of all of the gold)

12 minutes ago, Andyy said:

Yeppers, Gary.  I also was thinking a little more dirt is going to need a mov'n.  The nice thing about this location is I found only two pieces of trash.  Both bird shot.  Trying to track down one of the pieces of bird shot actually caused me to angle the coil towards the bank, where I consequently found the piece that looks like a big frosted flake. 

Yep, that's how I got my 2.56 Gramm'r today,...........right up against a sheer-rock bank.

• Like 1

Outstanding, congrats on a great day!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Andyy said:

All - thank you for the kind words.

Swamp - I was thinking I would try to work my way up to a dollar bill :brows:.    Well one can dream I guess. 

We need to get you back out here for the outing.

If I remember right....you already have a dollar bill sized one?
Tom H.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TomH said:

If I remember right....you already have a dollar bill sized one?
Tom H.

I don't know what you're talking about?  :brows:

• Haha 1

nice score Andy! 

• Like 1

That is awesome gold.  Must be tempting to go at that streamer with a pick and shovel, maybe even turning it into a shaft.

• Like 1