Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dakota Slim

Getting crowded out there?

15 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

No kidding! You are truly the man! :thumbsupanim

I spent about 30 minutes looking for something similar and saw nothing. Where did you locate the information? What brand of hot sauce did it have in it?

I knew when I saw that rascal that it was something really cool. And then when I saw yours I knew it was traceable and probably had a story.

Mine is definitely depression days glass and was found near the village of Hill, New Mexico. Where did you locate yours?

It has some type of symbol on the bottom and a 17 to the right of it. Those are the only markings. I figure that might be an Owens Corning symbol? It is vague and I can't really tell what it is supposed to be. 

https://www.glassbottlemarks.com/owens-illinois-glass-company-bottle-container-marks/ 

my hallmark looks like the one below. I found it along the old army supply Rd between Camp Verde and Ft Whipple know as Grief Hill

owens-illinois-mark-6.jpg

• Like 1
  • well done 1

Dude! I found it!

https://sha.org/bottle/Typing/OI1933/OI1933g.pdf

Mine is an Owens Illinois Glass Co. Extract Bottle. #A-5754, 6 5/16" tall, 2 1/2 oz capacity. Page 86 of the 1933 catalog!

Yours is just like the one in the drawing on that page it looks like.

O.K., Now this is getting good again.

• Like 1
  • wow 1

Do you recognize this little bottle?IMG_20181107_134738777.jpg

Its a baby bottle. Probably not too old though because I know the old ones looked like a kazoo or a crack pipe. :25r30wi:

It was fitted with a rubber nipple so that kinda dates it. I am not sure when the rubber nipple epoch began.

So... The soda pop bottle I posted. Do you know the story of opening the bottles by puncturing the cap like that?

7 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Its a baby bottle. Probably not too old though because I know the old ones looked like a kazoo or a crack pipe. :25r30wi:

It was fitted with a rubber nipple so that kinda dates it. I am not sure when the rubber nipple epoch began.

So... The soda pop bottle I posted. Do you know the story of opening the bottles by puncturing the cap like that?

I've never seen a pop bottle like that. I would imagine you only needed one hand free to open it?

Here's a pic of the "baby bottles" writing..IMG_20181107_140534673_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

Hey Slim and Skip.

I don't want to hijack Slim's post. If you feel that it is appropriate just move this over to its own topic. I don't want to get out of bounds.

I want to make sure not to step on your toes Slim. If there is a problem just say so and I will move my bottle hugging glass worshiper posts to a new topic. I don't want problems and I don't want you mad because you think I hijacked your post.

It certainly was not intentional. It just kinda happened after we got on the bottle topic. And just for the record it was not me that shifted the topic to bottles. So if I need to get anything square with you lets deal with it right now and we can start fresh tomorrow. O.K.?

5 minutes ago, Edge said:

I've never seen a pop bottle like that. I would imagine you only needed one hand free to open it?

Here's a pic of the "baby bottles" writing..IMG_20181107_140534673_HDR.jpg

Sure, an old battery acid bottle. I have found lots of them. In the old CCC camps around here that is the #1 glass laying around. And carbon rods are one of the first indicators you are getting near a camp. 

It looked just like a baby bottle from the other side. Are you sure that is the same bottle?

About the pop bottle....

I was told that during the depression and even up until the 60's that ladies often used a bottle of soda for birth control. They would open it like that to aid in a pressurized delivery. I have heard that was only a fable but I have had two elderly ladies tell me that it most certainly was true. 

I have no idea. But I have found several bottles that still have the caps on them and have perforated tops just like that. I thought I might lay that out here on this thread and see what type of feedback I get and if anyone else has heard that story. I am convinced it is true from the first hand stories I have been told and I wonder if I could get any corroborating evidence.

• wow 1

I noticed this bottle is from Owens also..

IMG_20181107_150127500.jpg

Hey slim, got any bottles?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Hey Slim and Skip.

I don't want to hijack Slim's post. If you feel that it is appropriate just move this over to its own topic. I don't want to get out of bounds.

I want to make sure not to step on your toes Slim. If there is a problem just say so and I will move my bottle hugging glass worshiper posts to a new topic. I don't want problems and I don't want you mad because you think I hijacked your post.

It certainly was not intentional. It just kinda happened after we got on the bottle topic. And just for the record it was not me that shifted the topic to bottles. So if I need to get anything square with you lets deal with it right now and we can start fresh tomorrow. O.K.?

Like a few others, I liked it better when you were 86'd Bob. You've been posting like a monkey on crack ever since they let you back on. The way I look at it, it's just a matter of time before you are gone again so have at it man. Don't worry about me, go nuts. I'll continue to do my best to ignore you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmmmmm 1

33 minutes ago, Dakota Slim said:

Like a few others, I liked it better when you were 86'd Bob. You've been posting like a monkey on crack ever since they let you back on. The way I look at it, it's just a matter of time before you are gone again so have at it man. Don't worry about me, go nuts. I'll continue to do my best to ignore you. 

Thanks Slim!

I knew you would understand and be an adult about it!

Your pal,

Bedrock (bottle hugging glass worshiper) Bob

Check this out! I have never been here before. It is the parent website where I got the info above...

https://sha.org/bottle/

It is awesome. I bet you can find just about any bottle in there.

• Like 1
  • wow 1

I spent a couple hours last night on the website above. It is a great resource.

I walked through the steps to ID this little bottle. It was my first attempt to do any historic research on a bottle and I thought it was a great learning experience. The website is very good.

The bottle has a makers mark that is not Owens. It is a Knox Glass Bottle Company mark.

knox.JPG

They had several factories all over the U.S. for decades. Individuals bought their bottle making equipment and started their own bottle companies. They all used a keystone mark like this one. There is a very vague letter "O" in the keystone to designate the factory that made the bottle. This one was made in Oil City, Pa.

The bottle was most likely made between 1935 and 1940. They called it a "Dumbell extract bottle" and it was offered in a cork version for alcohol and bitters as well as a screw top for tinctures and extracts.

In a couple hours last night I typed and dated this bottle with pretty good certainty. It was a fairly complex process but I think a guy could really learn a bunch about bottles and dating sites using found glass.

Bedrock (Bottle Hugging, Glass Worshiping, Bottle Busting) Bob

• Like 2

Well, back to ORV stuff....many years ago, when dune-buggies we becoming popular, we had a great hunting area. Once the go-anywhere-idiots found it there was hardly a bush left standing....50 some years later and quads and stuff have done the same thing...probably the same idiots that carry beer in and throw the  empties in a bush...probably the same little babies that had Mommies wiping their butts until they got married. At which time their wife took over the clean-up duties.

Slim, I hope you are doing well! 

Bob and his ilk bring conflict to what would otherwise be a pretty boring place-sometimes.

Besides, I enjoy most of his writing...

fred

• Like 1