Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
hardtimehermit

Nevada Day fossil hunt.

So Courtney my wife and Hank the dog headed out to Unionville for a night at the old pioneer garden bed and breakfast. Unionville is in Pershing county and is a living ghost town with pop. about 20. The town had up to 3000 people working the mines at it's peak. Tons of history there, Mark Twain lived there for a bit and the folks running the bed and breakfast are something special. The family has operated 5 or 6 houses for the past 30 years. I was able to swing the GM 1000 around a little, but not enough time this trip was about fossils. We ended up doing pretty good considering we only hunted for half a day. My wife had the find of the day by far. She pulled on a chunk of limestone and half popped up with the imprint, then she really got excited when she saw the fossil ammonite on the ground. Good times in the Nevada outback.:)

IMG_3596.JPG

IMG_3597.JPG

IMG_3602.JPG

IMG_3604.JPG

IMG_3605.JPG

IMG_3608.JPG

IMG_3609.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG

IMG_1175.JPG

• Like 8
  • well done 1

Awesome fossils. I love Unionville, lots of stuff to do and really good gold. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nugget108 said:

Awesome fossils. I love Unionville, lots of stuff to do and really good gold. 

Also, American Canyon ( Chinese cluster mines) that were dug by hand about 30 to 70 feet deep, then tunneled laterally by the miners. Lots of gold taken out from pay streaks located by the Chinese deep down into these small diameter holes in the ground. Very dangerous and sometimes deadly work.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BMc said:

Also, American Canyon ( Chinese cluster mines) that were dug by hand about 30 to 70 feet deep, then tunneled laterally by the miners. Lots of gold taken out from pay streaks located by the Chinese deep down into these small diameter holes in the ground. Very dangerous and sometimes deadly work.

Sounds like the area west of Randsburg. Holes everywhere.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BMc said:

That whole mountain range is cool.

• Like 2

Does that fossiliferous limestone overly a granite basement rock? It looks just like an area I prospect. The fossils are on top, the hardrock is at the contact with ironstone and the granite pluton beneath, and the placers are in reworked gravels below.

So where is Hank? Did he hound any rocks?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Does that fossiliferous limestone overly a granite basement rock? It looks just like an area I prospect. The fossils are on top, the hardrock is at the contact with ironstone and the granite pluton beneath, and the placers are in reworked gravels below.

So where is Hank? Did he hound any rocks?

Yes sir Bob, the whole area looks turned upside down. David our host at the b&b said many geologists and fossil experts come and stay for interesting geology. We went up American canyon a bit and saw some abandoned mine hazards, one hole we dropped a rock in was at least 30 feet deep. My first time out there and look forward to hunting gold next time. This time the wife was driving so to speak, but i love hunting fossils too. The hank hound was not up to his usual hounding as you can see, but next time we stay longer and he will have a rock in his mouth for sure. Also this is the old mine managers house that we got to stay in at Unionville.

IMG_1251.JPG

IMG_1222.JPG

• Thanks 1

Hank looks a lot like my dog, Chavo the Boreal Hyena!

I like hunting for fossils, crystals and such more than gold these days. It takes a lot of attention and patience for gold and I wind up a little obsessed. Doing other things seems to put it all in perspective and make me a better gold prospector.

And I know the dog and the wife are bound to like fossil hunting and staying in the cabin a bunch more than detecting for gold. 

I bet the next trip out you will hit some nice ones.

• Like 1

Wife and I are planning on heading over tomorrow for a couple of days detecting. Was going to head up the Eugene's again to our favorite place but this area sounds interesting. I'll run some reports on claimed areas so we have a choice. Thanks for the stories. Any suggestions on access points would be appreciated. Going out I80 from California.

Wow, just looked, is the whole area claimed up with lode claims?

Edited by GeoJack

Yea Geo Jack, Rochester mine and Rye patch have been expanding lately. Could be all of American canyon is claimed up now. Hope you two have a great time detecting wherever you end up hunting, and may you find lots of gold!:thumbsupanim