Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nugget108

Nice bull.

Well my son got it done. We got home yesterday after 3 days of wearing the rubber off of our boots chasing elk. We had bulls everyday to pick and choose from so there was no shortage of critters. Sunday morning we got out and spotted a herd of about 50 booking it for the deep bluffs and ravines just to the west of us. I knew where they were headed so we hustled up and got in front of them. We hiked in about a mile and met up just perfectly with them. He missed the big 350 bull the first shot, which was only 70 or 80 yards away. Shot right over him. Then we had to move up a 100 yards or so so we could see them again and before i could pick out the bull he shot and dropped this one. He thought it was the big bull haha. Then after this one dropped, the big bull walked out from under us and stood broad side at 90 yards. Haha he was a little depressed after that. So he shot the second biggest bull in the herd and he is happy as heck. It was so fun to be there and watch him take his first bull elk. Its a beautiful 6x6 bull. 2 hours to cut it up and 2 hours to pack it out. What a great time. Nothing better than being out there with the critters and the family. Take care everyone. 

Dan

20181029_204911.jpg

20181029_214117.jpg

• Like 2
  • well done 7

Wowser! Well done, and that's no second place winner either.  That's a bunch of 1st Class Bull!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Definitely gonna fill the freezer with some great meat. Each hind quarter is over 80 pounds. The back straps are over 3 feet long. Lots of meat haha.

• Like 2

That is just awesome! Tell him that I think he is pretty cool. 

You too dad! You are doing it right! Your skills as a hunter and a father are shining!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That means ALOT Bob. Thank you.

Nice work you two. what unit?

• Thanks 1

Thank you. Area 7

Way to go. You guys are killing it up there -- literally.
Nothing beats a well stocked freezer.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing better than a father and son hunt and a very successful one at that. Congratulations to the boy and his first bull! And thanks dad for taking the time to pass hunting on to the next generation!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys. It was a great hunt with great people. Had a bunch of family there and everything. 

• Like 1
  • well done 1

If you think you are proud now just wait until your son is grown, has a beautiful wife, a great job and shoulders as wide as a house. Because that is what happens when you do what you are doing. 

We need good men in this country and there is only one way to get them. We must create them from boys and dirt and experience. And no one can do that except a father that is focused on doing their job.

-------

When my son was little I told him elk turds were magic. When we were out I put them in his pockets without him knowing and he would find them. I put them in the hood of his hunting coat and they would fall on his head when he pulled his hood on. I put them in his trail mix and he would find them after he ate all the peanuts and chocolate bits. I mailed them to him in an envelope when I was away on business. Instead of tossing confetti at his wedding we threw little bundles of elk turds.

He is 35 now and I still pick up an elk turd and flip it at him as we stalk through the woods. It is my way of reminding him where he came from and the lessons that I tried so hard to teach him. He hasn't forgotten any of them it seems. 

I didn't really think elk turds were magic when I told him that so many years ago. But now I know they are.

______

• Like 4
  • well done 2

Thats great Bob. Your right about raising them, I agree 100%. Im not looking forward to the moving out days.

Wow Dan!!!! Congrats!!!! Looks like a great hunt with your son.

I just had to ask.... How much bulls... does an animal like that usually have?

I had moose and elk for the first time at a community picnic in you know where. Neither was gamey and enjoyed it.

• Like 1

Haha lots. 

It is amazing meat. Very lean and tastes great. We raise 2 beef a year on grass hay and it doesn't even come close to the taste of elk or moose.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, nugget108 said:

Haha lots. 

It is amazing meat. Very lean and tastes great. We raise 2 beef a year on grass hay and it doesn't even come close to the taste of elk or moose.

Ribs are incredible!

• Like 1