Nugget Shooter Forums
Jack H

First UTV - advice please

I’m gonna go take a look at this in the morning. Just need something to put around in. Don’t need a hot rod sand rail. Ad says the top end is rebuilt. No leaks. I can deal with a torn seat. Looks to be be rebuilt by a professional mechanic. Might just grab it. Price is decent compared to new machines. Anyone that would like to weigh in - I’d appreciate your comments

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/226059351141714/

Nothing wrong with Polaris , I have had 3 so far, a Sprotsman X2 , a Ranger SXS and now have a Magnum 330, plus I use my fathers Ranger...2018...Love it.

I will have my Magnum at the outing...had the Ranger last year.   Lots of fun.

This is just my opinion

• Like 1

Any utv from a major manufacturer will do what you want to do.

I have owned them all except a Yamaha Rhino. I have had good luck with them all. The biggest issue with them is cost to keep on the trail. After ~ 4-5000 miles it will start needing parts and you need to have the ability to fix it yourself to keep it affordable...because sxs parts = $$$$$$

Look at the odometer before deciding.

• Like 1

I have 1 opinion to share , from personal ownership, I owned a Ranger "700" XP.
I would not buy a 500 cc  underpowered for a side x side.  700 minimum cc  that's 40 HP. IMHO.
Especially if its gonna be you + another person + gear.

Estimate Hours vrs. Mileage      100 hours  equals 1000 miles.   743hrs figure theres at the very least over 5 thousand miles on it "more in my opinion."
True that some units "idling"  time is ALOT also in the total hour reading, and in my opinion that's WORSE. 
Diesels are made to idle forever, NOT gas setups.
Ultimately YOU will make a decision on what to buy.
Best advice is , "take your time" do not be in a rush a good/great deal will surface, johnny on the spot with cash will get that deal.
Google more about owners problems and opinions from usage good place is on the Polaris forums or whichever name brand you may like.
Once you make the purchase, "you" assume the headaches.
Good luck an Hapy Huntn.

ALSO, should you choose an ATV instead of SxS be sure to go with "shaft drive" not chain.
heres a link for any and all "spec" info to do yer window shopping on em all.
https://www.atv.com/specs/polaris/utility-utv/2006/ranger-tm/4x4/detail.html

• Like 2

I have (original owner) a 2005 Yamaha Rhino with around 500 miles/86 hours on it. Great shape with a bunch of extras. Been planning to list it for sale for $6k. A few of the extras are axle guards, back seat, roof, half windshield, digital meter kit, multi mount winch kit with Warn winch, front hitch, overfenders, center console, a second (new) set of wheels and tires, and seat covers. Have a trailer to sell with it if needed also.

For my first UTV, I keep going back and forth between something you showed, a quad, and also a 2 wheel drive motorcycle.  The Rokons are nice, and seem to be dependable and will get you to a lot more places than a four wheel vehicle.  Some of the trails I walk down are so washed out, I would not want to want to bring something wide like any axled vehicle.  With the Rokon, you can get a trailer if you need to bring gear in.  They're geared lower and can haul I think a 1k trailer. 

Whatever I choose, the washes and back roads are eating up my truck.  I probably go through a set of tires every 10k miles, so my hope is the off road vehicle would save on wear and tear.

• Like 1

I've had both...Rokon, and now a Polaris Magnum. Rokons will go absolutely anywhere, but the cargo carrying ability is limited. They're also hard on your back.....rough ride. I've had my Polaris for 20 years, and zero problems, though I don't use it much. I'm currently considering one of the smaller side by side ATV's. Up here in the mountains, anywhere you can use an ATV wider than 53", you can legally take a pickup, or other 4x4. Any ATV I own has to be able to go on the restricted trails....thus  <53".

Jim

That's the main reason I decided to go with an ATV myself. Even being careful, the rock pounding takes its toll. I wore out and punctured tires, brakes, seals etc. so I started taking a mechanic friend along to constantly check stuff, repair and replace as needed. You really don't want to loose your brakes coming down the grade from Prescott to Congress, although when you went over the side in one of those tight turns, you might find a good, new place to detect. :ROFL:

3 hours ago, chrisski said:

I probably go through a set of tires every 10k miles,

What are you using for tires and on what vehicle? That sounds excessive to the nth degree!

Jack ... I'm thinking like the others this may be a bit pricey even with a rebuilt motor ... ask to see the mechanics itemized billing to see what was actually done if you do pursue this one. Also take a hard look at the front and rear suspension as well as tire wear. Looks like the fronts might need replacing very soon and with all of these vehicles you should replace all 4 at the same time ... look at the date stamp on the tire ... when it was manufactured ... if older than 5 years you will start to have serious problems with cracking here in the desert hot dry air and intense UV rays from the sun. The 'small' Polaris Ranger is a great vehicle BUT this one seems like it is price to perfection and it ain't perfect by any means. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mike Furness said:

What are you using for tires and on what vehicle? That sounds excessive to the nth degree! 

The first set was a set of firestone M/T's, so I think that's reasonable.  The others have been Firestone ATs.  There's a couple of places I went, I think by black canyon city and the trail was carved into rock, and the rock was really sharp.  A change I've done recently off previous posts is I've reduced tire pressure from the owners manual recommended 65 PSI to a 25 PSI when off road.  Hope to get a lot more miles that way.  At the very least, I get a much more comfortable ride on the parts of the road that washboard.  Someone on the forum recommended a military grade tire made for rocks, but after a bot of research, these tires look special order and next step would be to call the factory to see where to get a set.

I do think some type of off road vehicle is good.  Aside from the tire wear, a lot of the trails either need limbs lopped off, or they scrape the side of the truck, or sometimes even pick branches from the fins in the radiator.  At that point, its not a great idea bringing my daily driver down those trails.

• Like 1

I picked it up for $3,800 today. I looked at his list of repairs. He’s a professional utv mechanic who bought it from a customer. We went over the vehicle. He showed me all he fixed, and was honest about its flaws. I was comfortable with it and brought it home after test driving. Again, I don’t need a sand rail. Just wanted something to get me around “most” desert terrain I’d rather not take my truck. Been down those washes before. I do appreciate the comments and feedback though. 

51E4F816-53E9-4984-A347-01513CC4C969.jpeg

• Like 2

Guess we will be seeing it at the outing then....make sure you have a OHV sticker, they came thru camp last year checking.

For sure. Been working on all the details. Got my  state trust permit. Finally registered my truck. Got AZ plates. Joined RRPC. Computers were down statewide at the title and registration places today. Still gotta get back and do my driver license and register my ranger. Moving from state to state is a lot of work. Can’t wait to camp and unwind. We need to relax. Nothing but work since Feb.

• Like 3

Took my last truck many places that to be honest scared me. Best 4x4 I’ve had was a Tacoma single cab. Big trucks don’t belong on some goat trails. Some days I ended up on them  in the chev. Glad to have something small again. Pics are from the Dale district in CA. The Ranger should put my wife and I around just fine. Providing it doesn’t break =)

3019051B-3314-4783-BCA7-825379A69166.jpeg

9318232B-FCF8-43C1-B409-839877CF65D3.jpeg

• Like 1

My truck is a chevy avalanche 4X4 and I have a 2018 Polaris Ranger , Ranger does not fit in truck so I can pull camper...Bought the Polaris Magnum , it fits...will have it at the outing....

See ya there.

• Like 1

Hey Jack ... Glad the seller was the pro UTV mechanic ... I was just hoping he was not a shade tree variety as many times that comes out bad. UTV's aren't difficult to work on but they also are not cars. We rely heavily on good workmanship on our ATV's and UTV's because they tend to take us way off the beaten path ... nice to have them bring us back too rather than a long hot walk! :inocent:

• Like 2

I've owned off road bikes, quads , 3 wheeler s side by sides all my life, road in the Barsto to Vegas race in 1972 before going into the Army. Replacing the top end on a polaris is easy, will cost about $450 if you do it yourself, so don't let that put you foo from buying a bike. Enjoy your new to you ranger. My current RZR is a 570 and goes any where I want to go, it also fits in the back of my truck, and I pull my camper.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bc5391 said:

I've owned off road bikes, quads , 3 wheeler s side by sides all my life, road in the Barsto to Vegas race in 1972 before going into the Army. Replacing the top end on a polaris is easy, will cost about $450 if you do it yourself, so don't let that put you foo from buying a bike. Enjoy your new to you ranger. My current RZR is a 570 and goes any where I want to go, it also fits in the back of my truck, and I pull my camper.

Cool on the Barstow-Vegas ride, BC. I road in the Elsinore GP in '71. Road a lot of desert races near Victorville while in the Air Force at San Berdoo. Also did some TT at Parris.

Jim

• Like 1

BC5391 big difference in 06 500cc carb 32HP in top cond.
                                             later model 570 efi  44 hp.
I kinda think that's why Polaris came out with the 570.
Not to say "anything wrong" with his purchase, we all make them. Just comparing the 2.
Best wishes an enjoy !

Frank. if you are not a speed demon, or care about climbing steep hills, his ranger will be just fine. Now that I am retired, I restore and sell garden tractors,(Made and put buckets on all of them) I can assure you that an 18hp cub cadet, may have a lot of power, but the 1962 7hp Allis-Chalmers that I can't see to part with will do more, it may not be as fast, but it is unstoppable.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2018 at 8:05 AM, Idaho Jim said:

Cool on the Barstow-Vegas ride, BC. I road in the Elsinore GP in '71. Road a lot of desert races near Victorville while in the Air Force at San Berdoo. Also did some TT at Parris.

Jim

WTG Jim, I road a 250 Elsinore in the Barstow race, a great bike.

In the desert races I rode an AJS 370. Super good handling for it's day. For the Elsinore GP, and at Parris, I rode a Yamaha 250. Those Elsinores were good machines, for sure. Malcom Smith, himself, put a new top end on my Yamaha. Hard to believe how many years ago all that was....LOL

Jim