Nugget Shooter Forums

Sorry..like i said, i dont even know where to start..i found them under the floor in the garage..the home is 100 years old..i noticed them after stepping through one of the wood floor boards..i live on vancouver island in bc canada.

As for the tests..some are magnetic, some are not. 

1 hour ago, Nixon said:

Sorry..like i said, i dont even know where to start..i found them under the floor in the garage..the home is 100 years old..i noticed them after stepping through one of the wood floor boards..i live on vancouver island in bc canada.

You're going to have to help us to help you, and also we need to do these one at a time, try and describe each one as best you can, color/s, texture, sheen or lack of, general weight per the size, e.g. heavy or light, crystal shape if present, etc., etc., any info will help with getting IDs on them, there's just to many in your photos to help you at this time especially without more info.

It will help if you do a "streak test" on each one as well, a streak test is when you rub the stone on a "streak plate" which is a piece of unfinished ceramic and tell us what color streak is left on the ceramic, examples of what you can use for a streak plate are the underside of a toilet lid, the bottom rim of a coffee cup, or dish or the unfinished side of a ceramic tile, some of your stone will not leave a streak or one that you can see because it either has a streak color the same color as the ceramic or it's as hard or harder than the ceramic streak plate.

A scratch test will help as well to determine how hard the stone is, use the items listed below and tell us if it will scratch the stone.

Hardness of some common items

fingernail 2 to 2.5
copper 3
nail 4
glass 5.5
knife blade 5 to 6.5
steel file 6.5
streak plate 6.5 to 7

Mineral identification from photographs can be immensely difficult as you may know. In general, the scientific process of identification of mineral specimens can be quite difficult for the layman, and sometimes even for professional geologists. To me, what you may have is a collection  of pretty rocks that someone, possibly a mother/grand mother with children to entertain, would gather for their amusement, entertainment and personal interest.

I would suggest that your best bet might be the following: If you happen to live close to a city, or especially a college town that offers degrees in geology and/or one that has a  mineral museum, it might possibly make a productive day if you took the rocks and tried to identify them by visual comparison with the hundreds or thousands of mineral specimens on display. And, you could show them to volunteer staff or geology students who work there part time. I have found these folks very helpful, since they are usually trying to look busy and justify their existence, especially if they are on the payroll.

Good luck with your mission,

Mac

2 hours ago, Nixon said:

25 minutes ago, Nixon said:

Thanks everyone..and Mac i doubt it was anybody collecting rocks...they are the full length of the floor..i just posted pics of one handful...ill do the tests on the ones in the pics and let u kno..

From what you have posted in these replies I would say it just random gravel that was filled in below the floor for drainage, the gravel could be from anywhere in the area and could possibly even be tailings from a mining operation, or even from various places since it a random sorting of different types of rocks.

• Like 1
On 10/27/2018 at 7:45 PM, Nixon said:

Thanks everyone..and Mac i doubt it was anybody collecting rocks...they are the full length of the floor..i just posted pics of one handful...ill do the tests on the ones in the pics and let u kno..

Well, there you go! Good luck with your follow up tests.