Nugget Shooter Forums

Before & After

adam

Here`s a great example of how prospectors workings can change over time.

This is a spot Boulder Dash and I dry washed, and a picture of the same spot 4 years later.  Something to think about when your out prospecting.

DSC07330.JPG

IMG_1601.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • well done 1

This is actually very interesting.  Thanks for that!

You would hardly know that anyone was there before you.  That is until you got to bed rock and didn't find any gold.  You would then know that the 'gold dust' twins had been there.    

Old Tom

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Thanks for sharing. 

I'm curious what your tailing piles would look like. Bill said in one of his lectures the processed dirt coming out of the dry washer tends to settle after two years, but the bigger rocks that never made it into the hopper, will stay piled for a long time.

Really wish you guys would put out a book with your learnings and adventures.  Need some younger blood injected in the prospecting activity.

Hey adam,.... Are you sure you got your photos in the right order????  I don't see any of the (approx.) 3 ft. high stack of large rocks (wall that is in the first photo)  in the second photo???  That rock-stack runs down the wash toward the tree, yet there's not even an indication of these larger rocks in the second photo???   I would almost say that the second photo is the before and the first photo is the after.  I have run across a few "afters" of-late, and most of them look like your first photo ( with a spattering of fairly recent rocks and overburden from the banks from the monsoon rains of course).  Gary

The pictures can really be a tool sort of. They can be information to the prospector. 

Just because you do not find gold somewhere, does not necessarily mean that it was never there at one time. Also after only 4 years most of the evidence is gone, so after 100 years, you can bet there will be no trace. After another 100,000 years, the gold may be replenished from the nearby source.  

On 10/22/2018 at 6:50 PM, chrisski said:

Thanks for sharing. 

I'm curious what your tailing piles would look like.

Need some younger blood injected in the prospecting activity.

The tailings are usually put back in the wash or on the side of a wash. They will be the first to go usually. There are many many cases of prospectors of the past whos drywasher tailings will be up on a bench or bank of a creek. These tailing will be visible for quite a while but again, in time, they will slowly settle, not leaving much of a trace. 

• Like 2