Nugget Shooter Forums

Possible Meteorite? What is this?

Trying to figure out what this rock is. It has small golden flakes embedded inside along with orange, reddish flakes. The story behind this rock is it was found in a backyard being witnessed falling from the sky. It does have the shape of an entry from space. No man made marks found on the rock. Very heavy as if it was lead. Poor quality pictures, will update with better ones. Please help.

20181020_232246_Film4.jpg

20181020_232240_Film4.jpg

20181020_232250_Film4.jpg

20181020_232308_Film4.jpg

Only kidding about the moonshine lol .. but are you being serious about the grinder gunk? Because I honestly didn't take your post serious I thought you were kidding because how could that possibly form from gunk with what looks like crystal?

Edited by Nathan O

Okay, i'm sorry I thought you were trying to troll lol. I appreciate your input but I did just google grinder gunk build up and it does not come close to what I have here. There are way to many colors for this to be build up of some sort. Do you have any links or videos that show said build up? Because like I previously said, it does not at all match up.

All joking aside.. yes my bud ashtray was in the photos but doesn't mean my post is not serious. I really do want to figure out wth I have in my possession and to be honest the way it looks is far from anything that forms from a tool bench or a cave / quarry

4 hours ago, Nathan O said:

Trying to figure out what this rock is. It has small golden flakes embedded inside along with orange, reddish flakes. The story behind this rock is it was found in a backyard being witnessed falling from the sky. It does have the shape of an entry from space. No man made marks found on the rock. Very heavy as if it was lead. Tried to heat up rock and will not retain heat at all. Cuts glass with no structural damage to rock. Poor qualitypictures, will update with better ones. Please help.

It looks like silica/metal cinders to me. What they make cinder blocks out of. It is a product of an refractory process. If it is heavy it is from a refining process and most folks would call it "slag". It is foliated so I would say it was chiseled out of the flue of a furnace. It was probably destined to be added to a masonry mortar or non-structural concrete like a sidewalk.

You mentioned resistance to conducting heat. I don't know how you arrive at that conclusion but ash/slag/clinker is insulative and extremely reflective. They chisel it from the furnace parts to allow more efficient heating/cooling. 

It is definitely not a meteorite and if you saw it fall then someone threw it at you.  If it is natural it is a volcanic cinder. I think you have a by product of a refractory process . Assume the object is a creation of industry. 

The little bud in the ash try is an indica dominant strain that was probably purchased at a dispensary in the Pacific Northwest. It was raised under HID lights and harvested one week early due to a ventilation problem in the grow room. It cost $12 per gram and was paid for with a $100 dollar bill. It is unclear about the total of the purchase but you received at least one $20 back as change. It was green.

The key is to the back door of your home and is a replacement purchased at a big name hardware store not more than 3 years ago. The key code is K37562. It is one of twelve unique keys for the Sentry model security locksets. Anyone who can see this photo can easily duplicate the key and gain access to your home.

You need to purchase a new lighter. That one is almost out of butane.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • wow 1

Cuts glass?

Is it magnetic?

Streak test?

What's a bud ashtray and is it more germane to the fall story? :inocent:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Saul R W said:

It reminds me of the foliated gunk that builds up on a workbench under a grinder.

It does look like a silicon carbide/slag "concretion" from under the grinder. I think that is a very intuitive observation and probably a very close guess.

My chop saw gets a big hunk of that stuff built up under it and I break off fist sized chunks of it all the time. That could have easily been left hanging on the guard after a quickie saw cut through a cast pipe. It would be heavy and scratch the hell out of glass. It would look a whole lot like that.

Another excellent observation my friend!

• Like 1

Bedrock Bob, I appreciate your insight on the rock but as far as the "bud" goes he was talking about the pot leaf that just so happened to be labeled on my ash tray with the picture I took. There's no Pacific Northwest raised strain here lol. And with my key, good observation but there's no Sentry Model here nor is it to gain access to the back door of my home. The key was made 1 year ago and how ever the "key code" is incorrect. I do recognize your awareness and intelligence but I honestly believe you are again, incorrect along with your other observations on the rock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, Nathan O said:

Bedrock Bob, I appreciate your insight on the rock but as far as the "bud" goes he was talking about the pot leaf that just so happened to be labeled on my ash tray with the picture I took. There's no Pacific Northwest raised strain here lol. And with my key, good observation but there's no Sentry Model here nor is it to gain access to the back door of my home. The key was made 1 year ago and how ever the "key code" is incorrect. I do recognize your awareness and intelligence but I honestly believe you are again, incorrect along with your other observations on the rock.

I was talking about the little bud in the ashtray with the pot leaf on it. First and third photo. :rolleyes:

Is it magnetic? (The object, not the little bud)

It is not a meteorite (neither the object nor the weed). Of that there is no doubt. Aside from that it is just a wild a$$ guess based on a photo. Just like the bud, the key and the lighter.

• Like 2

A word or 294 of explanation.  It was late when I posted last night, and by using "gunk" I was attempting to dejargonize a subject that all too often becomes too technical for we novists (or is it novistas?).  As for grinder gunk -- and the above mentioned chopsaw gunk as well -- I used to break chunks of the gunk off my cutting table and work bench, drop them on the steps outside my shop and stomp hard on them.  It's nice gritty stuff, and provides instant traction on the ice, at least until the next snow.  Also, tracking it in on the carpet is useful for irritating wives, if you happen to want to give one an excuse to leave with the titles to your house and truck.  I see that Bob rejargonized for us.  Silicon carbide/slag concretion, indeed.   

As for the bud on (and the bud in) the ashtray, I was attempting to be polite and gentlemanly and diplomatic.  The ashtray and contents are potentially highly germane to this discussion.  Such finds under such influences have engendered new religions with almost predictable regularity throughout history.  First they fall from the sky (thrown by a deity, it usually turns out, although sometimes they are just knocked accidentally off a deity's kitchen table, where, presumably, the stones sit for decoration), and then they start talking (the stones, not the deities, but sometimes both at once, rudely).  I suggest reading Annie Dillard's Teaching a Stone to Talk for more information (and tell me about the book when you're finished, because I was a crib-notes man in college, and only carried real books around to attract coeds -- books are better than puppies in some crowds). 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Nathan O said:

Trying to figure out what this rock is. It has small golden flakes embedded inside along with orange, reddish flakes. The story behind this rock is it was found in a backyard being witnessed falling from the sky. It does have the shape of an entry from space. No man made marks found on the rock. Very heavy as if it was lead. Poor quality pictures, will update with better ones. Please help.

I've seen something exactly like this but am having a brain fart trying to remember what it was.

But it's not a meteorite.

1 hour ago, Saul R W said:

"books are better than puppies in some crowds"...

Now look who is stretching the truth over his nose! There is no way to make me believe that a book trumps a puppy for softening up the flinty attitude of a difficult to date female.  I will believe this object is a meteorite before I would believe that. The order is and always will be;

1- guitars

2- puppies

3- books

That is just the natural order of things and cannot be changed.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Now look who is stretching the truth over his nose! There is no way to make me believe that a book trumps a puppy for softening up the flinty attitude of a difficult to date female.  I will believe this object is a meteorite before I would believe that. The order is and always will be;

1- guitars

2- puppies

3- books

That is just the natural order of things and cannot be changed.

Well done, bro -- keep remembering to mention "meteorite" in every post, and we can't be accused of derailing the thread.  It's kind of like sitting in the back of the class and shooting spitwads at the teacher's head just enough to get a reaction, but not often enough to get sent back to the seventh grade for the third time.

So it's not books, eh?  That explains a lot.  For my next academic excursion, I'll sit on a stack of Shakespeare out in the quad, playing a Dylan compilation on a Gibson with a cocker spaniel tied to my Birkenstock thong.  That'll be just the trick.  It's funny that you should mention guitars,  because one of Future Wife Four's first questions was whether I played the guitar.  When I said no, and then started talking about accordions, she changed the subject and asked about my bank accounts.

Meteorite.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Saul R W said:

Well done, bro -- keep remembering to mention "meteorite" in every post, and we can't be accused of derailing the thread.  It's kind of like sitting in the back of the class and shooting spitwads at the teacher's head just enough to get a reaction, but not often enough to get sent back to the seventh grade for the third time.

So it's not books, eh?  That explains a lot.  For my next academic excursion, I'll sit on a stack of Shakespeare out in the quad, playing a Dylan compilation on a Gibson with a cocker spaniel tied to my Birkenstock thong.  That'll be just the trick.  It's funny that you should mention guitars,  because one of Future Wife Four's first questions was whether I played the guitar.  When I said no, and then started talking about accordions, she changed the subject and asked about my bank accounts.

Meteorite.

Saul I'm hoping you're referring to sandals when you mentioned "Birkenstock thong" ....

BIRKENSTOCK Gizeh Oiled Leather Black Size 7, Thong Sandal For Men & Women

.....but since you didn't pluralize "thong" all my mind's eye can see is....

image.jpeg

....and since picturing you in that with that poor Cocker Spaniel tied off to it has blinded my mind's eye for the foreseeable future!!! :yikes: 

huh almost forgot...meteorite, didn't want to get in trouble with myself!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

Saul I'm hoping you're referring to sandals when you mentioned "Birkenstock thong" ....

BIRKENSTOCK Gizeh Oiled Leather Black Size 7, Thong Sandal For Men & Women

.....but since you didn't pluralize "thong" all my mind's eye can see is....

image.jpeg

....and since picturing you in that with that poor Cocker Spaniel tied off to it has blinded my mind's eye for the foreseeable future!!! :yikes: 

huh almost forgot...meteorite, didn't want to get in trouble with myself!!

Thong singular was intentional.  I'm not dumb enough to tie a dog to both feet at once, at least not a second time.  The first time, I hit my head so hard I saw meteorites (still on topic), and they looked similar to the gunk in the OP.  I wouldn't be caught dead or alive in the other thong, at least not on camera.

I am stalling and stalling today.  I spent all day yesterday loading chickens and ducks on my truck for a trip to Texas.  My youngest moved out last month when she learned I was pulling the carpet out from under her and selling this place, and she left her birds behind.  Because they're all named, I'm not allowed to pay them a shechita visit, so I'm donating them to my eldest, who already has so many animals she won't notice a few more.  I hate driving to Texas.  Every time I enter the Lone Star state I get a ticket for something.  This time I've checked every light, made sure my native on native soil license plates are freshly minted and gone over the windshield with a loupe to make certain there are no micro dings or micro cracks in the glass, and I still know one of those dratted ten-gallon hat rhinestone cowboys is going to flash his lights before my tires finish crossing the state line.  Maybe I should print an Alamo bumper sticker before I leave this afternoon?  Or drool a bunch of tobacco goop all over the driver side door so I can pass for a Texas native?

• Like 1

Maybe the chicken and duck poop coop goop drooling off the truck bed will be enough to get me to DFW and back without getting pulled over.  Also the aroma.  This morning I discovered that some of it was slopping through an unused bolt hole and pooling on top of an under-bed toolbox.  I'd rather be playing in Arizona mud.

Meteorites.

20181021_130401.jpg

20181021_130427.jpg

• Like 1

You can't see it very well in the photos, but there's chicken poop all over the windshield and top of the cab from an escaped hen.  Also my size 13 bootprints on the hood from trying to catch the escapee, and probably my size 14 schnozprint on the windshield from when I slipped in chicken poop on the hood.  That old gal almost ended up in the soup pot.  The sheet metal in these newer trucks just isn't built for walking on, not like the IH trucks I used to drive.  My little brother once ricocheted a .243 off the front fender of my '67 IH C1300 (it barely left a crease, but he saw stars and maybe even meteorites afterward), and I had a '59 Scout that had factory bumpers stout enough to serve as emergency anvils.  This so-called Super Duty Ford's fenders are as thin as old Pabst cans, and the front bumper isn't much better.

• Like 1