Nugget Shooter Forums

Had to do some patch hunting last night. The moon was full and the weather was nice a cool. Hit many areas for a deeper beeper skunk until my headlamp started getting quickly dim. Stopped by a old patch on my way out and managed these 6 pieces in about 5 minutes . I checked my time and it was 11:30pm and time to head home. I've always been impressed with the vlf as to how small it can find.

20181020_124157.jpg

Edited by boulder dash
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • well done 3

Right on BD? 

1 hour ago, boulder dash said:

Had to do some patch hunting last night. The moon was full and the weather was nice a cool. Hit many areas for a deeper beeper skunk until my headlamp started getting quickly dim. Stopped by a old patch on my way out and managed these 6 pieces in about 5 minutes . I checked my time and it was 11:30pm and time to head home. I've always been impressed with the vlf as to how small it can find.

I agree.  there's definitely a good place for VLF's .  Mine is always a pretty good skunk breaker when my deeper beeper is slacking. Thanks for sharing.

I always have the Monster with me now ... Not every place is right for the 7000 or even the 5000  and both have been taking the back seat lately in favor of the Monster or the SDC2300. Been in some very shallow ground with small nuggets in mostly less than 6" of depth.

• Like 3

:goodpost:   Nice Beepin  BD. 
When a person "becomes 1" with their detector, they begin to understand what its telling them.
Hapy Huntn.

• Like 5

Down in Trinidad one time I witnessed a tall skinny guy actually limbo his skinny butt beneath a bar only 6" off the floor.  UNBELIEVEABLE!  But seeing is believing.  Same goes for metal detecting.  The "How low can you go" adventure belongs to the venerable VLF.  Unbelievably tiny, itsy bitsy gold glitters can be teased out of the dirt when a VLF wand is waved to and fro by the skilled hand of a nugget magician.  Seeing is believing.  It is fun to watch and even more fun to do.  Thanks for sharing those "How low can you go" speckers!

• Like 4

Sorry, Mike but I don't believe that the Gold Monster could find that small of gold on a regular basis unless it was in a pile. I admit that the Gold Monster can find gold in the ground that other VHF detectors struggle in but the ultra small size gold is not one of its attributes. 

• Hmmmmmm 1

Fishing, I think that you might change your mind if you see it used properly.  It will pick up the small pickers just fine.  You do have to get in tune with the detector though, it's not that easy with that machine at least not for me.  :m2c:

Old Tom

• Like 1

I bought a gold monster from bill today. I have a Tesoro Lobo and I know how to use it. 5.5 coil. My wife will be swinging the GM and I might just find myself asking her for permission to use it after she’s got her share of nuggets =)

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Jack H said:

I bought a gold monster from bill today. I have a Tesoro Lobo and I know how to use it. 5.5 coil. My wife will be swinging the GM and I might just find myself asking her for permission to use it after she’s got her share of nuggets =)

Finding nuggets is hard, except when you get lucky and find 6 in 5 minuets with no trash targets like I did. Fyi girls are usually better at nugget shooting. See ya at the outing!!!!

• Like 2
  • Hmmmmmm 1

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:22 PM, Mike Furness said:

I always have the Monster with me now ... Not every place is right for the 7000 or even the 5000  and both have been taking the back seat lately in favor of the Monster or the SDC2300. Been in some very shallow ground with small nuggets in mostly less than 6" of depth.

Exactly.  I too, always have the GM1000 on my backpack.  If I didn't have it, I would have bought the SDC2300.

14 hours ago, fishing8046 said:

Sorry, Mike but I don't believe that the Gold Monster could find that small of gold on a regular basis unless it was in a pile. I admit that the Gold Monster can find gold in the ground that other VHF detectors struggle in but the ultra small size gold is not one of its attributes. 

Fishing - I can understand your skepticism, but BD has no reason to lie about this.  I, myself, detect many small, small flakes of gold in the .01g range or less (.01g is the limit of my scale).  Most of the time I have to use multiple flakes to get a reading.  Ultra small flakes IS definitely one of it's attributes. 

Does it get as small as the GB2?  I am not sure.  The frequency is higher on the GB2.  But the GB1000 gets way small, to the point where it is embarrassing to show the wife what I spent 8-10 hrs gathering in the field.  This is also why I don't post many of my finds from the GB1000 on this website.  People want to see bigger nuggets, not stuff that they see in their drywasher.   See my pic of the 3x flakes from my post "Small Gold and Gallstones".  If I showed that in my hand (unzoomed), it would be barely visible.

But as Old Tom said, the GB1000 can take some work to learn to use properly. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Great job Boulder Dash!

16 hours ago, fishing8046 said:

Hey fishing8046 ... I guess I don't understand your post. I didn't post a size but what was posted in the picture of Boulder dash's hand is VERY typical of what the GM1000 will find. If you don't want to believe me that is fine ... I'm just an old prospector who doesn't have a clue of what he is doing! :old:... however I do know what I have found in the past with the Monster. What I would suggest is a direct question to Bill Southern as to how small he has found with the Monster ... and whether he could find with the Monster what Boulder Dash and his GB2   ...I am assuming ... found.  You might even ask him to what depth he has found some of his poke. You might be surprised! 

• Like 3

I made a video for some friends I have on Facebook. Just an air depth comparison demo. Monster vs Lobo. Bill told me I’d probably be buying a second one before end of the year. I believe he could be right. 1/2” on the Lobo sensitivity 10 no discrimination Monster set to auto 1 . Monster 3-4”

I'm just getting started with the GM1000, here's how small I've found. However on day one getting our free lesson with Bill Gold Monster Meister Southern, the other fellow with us located a piece,  a quarter the size of the one I pictured 4" down

IMG_20181022_165039866.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/21/2018 at 6:32 PM, fishing8046 said:

You should believe in your detector more. Or you could be leaving stuff behind for others. Learn your detector it has lots of settings to play with . I definitely metal detected those 6 pieces.

• Like 4

Hey Guys,

I'm new here, but I have to confirm the "Minelab Gold Monster 1000" will find nuggets that small all the time, at or near bedrock.  The Gold Monster 1000 is able to find nuggets well under a grain in size on bedrock, in small cracks/crevices and such.  Many of these small gold nuggets are just little hits and will not read either way on the meter for the most part, so if you're watching your meter (Iron vs. Gold) and only digging targets bouncing to the right side, you're flat out missing nuggets! 

Just my thoughts and Congrats to all the Gold Monster gold that is now being found.  

Rob Allison

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

If there happens to be any doubters out there on Rob's experience or credibility, please consider doing a little Google research before responding . . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey take it easy even a naysayer can be wrong, but every year the new machine that comes out is bigger better and works like no other before it. These guys have something to gain by selling the newest machine. They are not making a living selling you a gold bug or a modded 2100 that gets as much gold as a GPX7000.

I'm not saying that the Monster won't find the small stuff I have just not seen it in the 2 machines I have sold and hunted side by side with. Granted they will hunt hotter ground and operate where other VHF machines will not. But to find Micro Gold which is what is posted in this thread that is not this machines strong point unless you are a highly trained veteran with much experience. You can say what you want but new machines are coming in the next few months and yes they will be better and more capable than what you're using now...or so we are told.

• Hmmmmmm 1

On 10/21/2018 at 6:32 PM, fishing8046 said:

The Gold Monsters the real deal. Found 8 tiny ones on one day back in May. Great machine. 

Hey Fishing8046,

To be honest, if I was doing nothing but hunting micro gold, I might consider the GB2.  However, due to the high amounts of mineralization here in the Southwest, the Gold Monster 1000 really ground balances well and you don't have to mess around with manual ground balance, pumping the coil up and down all the time. 

Keep in mind, dealers did make a living selling the GoldBugs, as at one point there were no PI's to be sold.  These same dealers made a living selling the early PI's, like the Minelab SD2100.  

In my honest opinion, the Modded SD's will not get as much gold as the GPZ 7000 if you had two very experienced operators on both.  The GPZ 7000 is a different league of metal detectors and can find very porous and specimen gold that the PI's struggle to hear.  

I understand your thought process about how new detectors always come out and they are now the latest and greatest.  For the most part, the newer detectors do have added advantages, but maybe not for everyone to keep upgrading every couple of years to just keep up with the "Jones."  :m2c:

Have a great one,

Rob Allison

• Like 9

If you watch every single video on the Gold Monster 1000 that Bill has on his YouTube channel you will get the best instructions availible. I was very skeptical going from a GB2 to a GM1000. Ventured into the Mojave this last weekend and managed to do decent for 1 days worth of swinging in an area that has seen its fair share of shovels and drywashers. Learn your machine, slow down and keep the coil to the soil. Thanks for the videos Bill! 

-Mike

20181022_061255.jpg

• Like 7
  • well done 1