Nugget Shooter Forums

9 hours ago, fishing8046 said:

Hey take it easy even a naysayer can be wrong, but every year the new machine that comes out is bigger better and works like no other before it. These guys have something to gain by selling the newest machine. They are not making a living selling you a gold bug or a modded 2100 that gets as much gold as a GPX7000.

I'm not saying that the Monster won't find the small stuff I have just not seen it in the 2 machines I have sold and hunted side by side with. Granted they will hunt hotter ground and operate where other VHF machines will not. But to find Micro Gold which is what is posted in this thread that is not this machines strong point unless you are a highly trained veteran with much experience. You can say what you want but new machines are coming in the next few months and yes they will be better and more capable than what you're using now...or so we are told.

I am not a dealer and have nothing to gain.

My 10 year old son has found quite a few pieces as small as the gold in the picture of the original post. Not on bedrock or even near bedrock and not in a concentrated area, but in hot ground in a California hydraulic mining pit. Last trip he found 5 or so pieces in less than two hours.

• Like 3
  • well done 1

On 10/21/2018 at 6:32 PM, fishing8046 said:

Sorry, Mike but I don't believe that the Gold Monster could find that small of gold on a regular basis unless it was in a pile. I admit that the Gold Monster can find gold in the ground that other VHF detectors struggle in but the ultra small size gold is not one of its attributes. 

I find those very tiny pieces on a regular basis as well as anything larger within it's depth range :old: It is simply what the GM 1000 does.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Rob Allison said:

Hey Guys,

I'm new here, but I have to confirm the "Minelab Gold Monster 1000" will find nuggets that small all the time, at or near bedrock.  The Gold Monster 1000 is able to find nuggets well under a grain in size on bedrock, in small cracks/crevices and such.  Many of these small gold nuggets are just little hits and will not read either way on the meter for the most part, so if you're watching your meter (Iron vs. Gold) and only digging targets bouncing to the right side, you're flat out missing nuggets! 

Just my thoughts and Congrats to all the Gold Monster gold that is now being found.  

Rob Allison

Spot on Rob and the darn Gold Monster 1000 opened up the beat up patches again... Take care my friend and see ya in November.

• Like 5

Come to the outing rob I'd love to finally meet you.

• Like 2

Hey Guys,

I'm going to try to make it, even if it's just on Saturday.  That being said, there are already things popping up on that weekend for me ....:th_panic:

16 minutes ago, Rob Allison said:

Hey Guys,

I'm going to try to make it, even if it's just on Saturday.  That being said, there are already things popping up on that weekend for me ....:th_panic:

Rob...pop them off..come one out and have a good time with us. Old timers will be there (Shep/Patrick/Bill.)   Me?...am I old?? OK....Dad is old..he will be there too...:)  Get your butt out there..its only like.....30  minutes from you..  :)
Tom H.

• Like 4

Rob ... You have a commitment on Saturday and must honor it! Be there! :old:

• Like 1

It all depends on where you are hunting. VLF works in low mineralized soil. However, most gold rich areas are highly mineralized and littered with hot rocks. No VLF will work well under these conditions. Even my SDC2300 is struggling in some areas where I am hunting, in particular when listening to small threshold variations that can be indicative of small or deep nuggets.

Edited by IloveAu

2 hours ago, IloveAu said:

However, most gold rich areas are highly mineralized and littered with hot rocks

That`s why I gave up looking for gold... :grr01:  People on the forum make it look to easy :aw-shucks:    I spent today looking for meteorites in the San Domingo with no luck.

Edited by adam
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Hmmmmmm 1

Don't give up, adam.  If you know your machine inside out and choose a location that is a good match for your detector, you have a reasonable chance of finding it. What helped me was to learn all the different noises that my detector is making, and working on smaller selected areas rather than trying to cover a lot of ground. Also, location is key. Watch where many of the "big shots" are hunting. These areas are known for having produced shallow gold nuggets, mostly alluvial in nature, which favors the outcome. Now, put the same guys into heavily trashed and bullet-littered mining areas, such as the Dale mining district, they will not be better than you or me and likely find noting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmmmmm 1

Haha great advice and welcome to the forum. Dont be fooled by Adam, he loves to joke around and can be sarcastic sometimes. Hes a good dude and can sniff out gold like you wouldn't believe. Once again, welcome.

• well done 1

1 hour ago, IloveAu said:

Don't give up, adam.  If you know your machine inside out and choose a location that is a good match for your detector, you have a reasonable chance of finding it. What helped me was to learn all the different noises that my detector is making, and working on smaller selected areas rather than trying to cover a lot of ground. Also, location is key. Watch where many of the "big shots" are hunting. These areas are known for having produced shallow gold nuggets, mostly alluvial in nature, which favors the outcome. Now, put the same guys into heavily trashed and bullet-littered mining areas, such as the Dale mining district, they will not be better than you or me and likely find noting.

He's spoofin you . . .

• Hmmmmmm 1

3 hours ago, IloveAu said:

If you know your machine inside out 

Good idea, except I just took this detector apart to " know the inside" and now I can't figure out where some of the parts went. Oh well, I'm going to start looking for these "micrometeorites" i read about because all I need is a magnifying glass to scan the ground with. Much easier!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • wow 1

When I first received my GM1000 from Bill I conducted tests to compare the 1000 with my GB2s.  The smallest pieces of gold - about 10 of them over the years - register .002g on my best scale (accurate to +/- two-one thousandths of a gram).  One of my hunting partners, an extremely adept woman, also has found a few in the .002g range with her GB2.  I was more than impressed with the GM1000 when sporting the small coil.  It clearly alerts on my .002g test "nugget."  Not only that, but it actually can hear that target from slightly further above. The larger coil lacks this sensitivity. Those tests were performed in the all metal mode to keep things equal.  Once the 1000 is switched to discriminate it can not hear the .002g test nugget.  That is not a big deal for me because I prefer to search in the all metal mode anyway after two decades or so with my GB2s, then shift down to discriminate and make further decisions based on what I hear.  Be mindful, of course, that the GM1000 only discriminates reliably most of the time between iron and non-iron despite the "gold bar" icon at the right end of the screen.  Lead, copper, brass, silver, aluminum: all will peg on the gold bar symbol.  Recently I was hunting an extremely trashy site with my 7000 and wished I also had brought along the 1000 even if it is a hassle to carry or attempt to backpack.

• Like 2

I personally never use iron discrimination. The discrimination works by measuring both ferrous properties and conductive properties of a given target. Since many gold nuggets are coated with ferrous material when you dig them up they can be missed when discriminating. That's why most of the higher end gold detectors don't even offer that feature. Also, the discrimination does not work well for strongly ferrous targets (if I recall correctly from my old GB2 days...)

Hey Guys,

Speaking of iron discrimination, I'm not going to say it's great or not.  However, it's not uncommon to pick up a specimen with a mixture of gold and iron with a strong magnet.  Years back I was pushing a target around for a bit, then with the scoop, finally got tired and ran the magnet over it ..... GONE!  A friend just happen to say, "looks like there is a small rock on your super magnet," which was attached to the top of my pick.  Low and behold, it was a small specimen of quartz/iron/gold that lightly stuck to my super magnet.  

Just something to think about. :89:

• Like 4

Yep Rob same here my friend at LSD, target, dug, no target, later on the pick I found a ironstone (Magnetite) specimen with gold spiderwebbed through it. Lucky I didn't lose the darn thing! :WOW:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nugget Shooter said:

at LSD

The only nugget I found that was magnetic ( that I know of)  was from the LSD...