Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MAForster

So new, but got the Bug, want some treasure!

Hi everyone,  my name is Melody and my husband bought me a Gold Bug. My little boy wants to find some treasure!

Yesterday we were on Forest Service land and found what looked like gold dust and flakes in a stream. I think there was also iron in the rocks. The Bug was talking to us, but we haven't yet mastered it.

We didn't take any because we didn't know if it was ok. 

What are the rules?

We live near BLM and old mines. What would we do if we found gold up there? How do we turn it in for money?

Thanks 

Melody ... Welcome to the forum. The first question to answer is to ask if that find is on a claimed piece of ground. If you find the ground has a current mineral claim on it you shouldn't be prospecting there without the claim owner's permission. Many will give you permission if you ask. Some want a small percentage of what you find and many just want to know where you found the gold on their claim. But the first thing to do is find out if it is under a current and valid claim. Perhaps the best thing you can do is to find a prospecting club in your area. Go to a meeting, meet some of the folks and ask a lot of questions. They are a wealth of information and one of the best places a novice can get started on the right foot.