Nugget Shooter Forums

Mineshaft Rescue

theace115

This just popped up on my Facebook feed.  I hope he is okay.

Screenshot_20181017-154354_Facebook.jpg

They say he is alert and talking, so that's a good sign, hopefully he's not hurt to bad!

https://www.abc15.com/news/state/mcso-man-trapped-in-western-arizona-mine-shaft-rescue-underway

"MCSO Search and Rescue is gearing up to extract an adult male who has fallen into a mine shaft 100 feet deep. He was found today by a good samaritan but has been there since Monday. He is alert and talking, the mine shaft is in the area of Eagle Eye Road and Mile Post 13."

Lots of shafts and head frames out there. Looks like a shaft off Antenna Rd.

Edited by Edge

Sorry I couldnt post a link in the post.  Thank you AU Seeker. 

• Like 1

Wow!  Glad to know he seems to be okay.  There may be some interesting back stories to this -- both the guy's and the good samaritan's.  I hope he wasn't just taking a selfie.  Looking forward to learning the details.  Thanks for posting.

Besides the falling down... those two guys basically did everything right.  Had a "buddy system" in place. They knew where the other person was going to be.  To make it better is that he actually followed through with it when he knew something wasnt right.  Glad John is going to be ok. Terry would be a great prospecting bussy to have! 

28 minutes ago, theace115 said:

Besides the falling down... those two guys basically did everything right.  Had a "buddy system" in place. They knew where the other person was going to be.  To make it better is that he actually followed through with it when he knew something wasnt right.  Glad John is going to be ok. Terry would be a great prospecting bussy to have! 

Yeah, except for that one part where he bounced off the footwall of the shaft the plan was flawless. :arrowheadsmiley:

Was this the guy's headframe or was he just poking around a shaft that someone else had developed? It seems like the perfect spot to stay completely away from unless it is your operation. The collar is badly eroded. It looks like an accident waiting to happen.

I don't see any muck around that hole. It does not look like a mine shaft but a manway and haulage route to a tunnel below. If that shaft is 100 foot deep then the muck was taken out a different way or is left as cut and fill down in the workings. The collar is devoid of anything at all from the photos. It seems this was a hoist and manway to a bigger underground mine?

• Like 1

Anyone know either of these guys per chance?

Looked & sounded to me like the fellow didn't accidentally fall into the shaft; more like he'd been down & up prior and this time something went wrong with his rappeling / climbing assists.. Ya just don't clumsily stumble your way through multiple strands of barbed wire n swan dive down a semi-covered hole in the ground..

Swamp

EDIT: Yeah, what Edge said..

Edited by Swampstomper Al
  • Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:17 AM, Edge said:

I read where the man had already descended 40-50' when his carabiner snapped.

Yep.  No way he is going to bounce off the wall for 100 feet and still be conscious.   Unless he fell down that shaft with a cape.

You never can be too safe down a shaft. Almost died once myself in 6 mile canyon nevada. Praying the rope will hold is a horrible feeling and finally getting out was the best feeling of my life-Never been down a vertical shaft since.John

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...