Nugget Shooter Forums

Winter is coming.

Sonoran Dave

I know! It's been downright chilly the last week or better. We are unseasonably cold this fall. It is 48° this morning :yikes:

I know that's not cold to everyone else, but it is almost a month early for the Sonoran desert. We should have high temps in the low 90's...instead it was 64° yesterday. 

It has already snowed a few times in the Chihuahuan Desert. It is not sticking at all because the earth is still warm. But the ground and the water is cooling FAST. If it looses much more heat to this cold air our winter will be a frigid one. 

The only reason we are not down below freezing at night right now is the thick cloud cover. If it clears one night and then clouds over the next morning we are in trouble. It will probably kill everything that is still on the vine and push our winter weather ahead 2-3 months. We generally have a clear, cool, protracted fall with warm afternoons. It generally won't freeze hard until late November and days won't be this cold until after the first of the year. This fall will change everything for many moons to come.

I think the high temp was about 53-55 degrees when we were out on Monday. It was right at freezing last night above 5000 ft.  My house sits at about about 3200 ft. So I am expecting Montana weather in the Chihuahuan Desert this year.

• Sad 1

Here it is as dry as a bone Dave. Not even weeds. I usually have to mow the weeds on my place at least three or four times a year. This year I did not mow or weed once and it still looks pretty good.

It got humid as hell this year but it did not rain much at all. There have been drier years but I don't remember a year that was so hot the weeds wouldn't grow. That was the case here this summer. It wasn't really lack of water, although we got very little. It was more an excess of heat and blistering sun.

It was the hottest, most miserable summer that I remember and I think that every living thing in the Chihuahuan Desert agrees.

One day it was 90 degrees and humid. The sun felt like it was magnified. The black gnats would eat your ears off and the mosquitoes would hit the back of your throat if you breathed hard. The next day it was 50 degrees and I have been wearing my coveralls since.

I am building fires and drinking coffee until noon. It is strange as heck but I am loving it!

• Like 1

It did seem extra hot and humid last summer. It was hard to motivate myself to do much of anything. I'm thankful for the sudden cooling too. 

I know what you mean about the coffee! I usually have a pot in the morning and I'm done. Yesterday I made a pot in the middle of the afternoon! Blatant blasphemy, but I enjoyed it. 

Yep, I think we bypassed Fall this year.   Cooler running one day and in three days time trying to remember what we did with the little Box Heaters here.  WTH ?

• Like 1