Nugget Shooter Forums

BUNK'S PICKS

I've used Buck's pick with the long handle for years, and have loved it.  At my age the long handle is just the right length to use it as a walking stick/cane.  But every year, it all gets tougher on me, so I have used nothing but the Gold Monster lately.  I asked him if he could make me one of his smaller pick heads utilizing the long handle of the larger pick, and he came through perfectly.  It's still the perfect length for a walking stick, and can still beat the hell out of stuff without the "weight"!  Thank you Bunk.  You have added a lot of hunting time to this old body..........  Patrick

(Couldn't figure out how to show photo's.  New camera)

• Like 16
  • well done 2

4 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

Bill sells Bunk's picks

http://m.nuggetshooter.com/

Or buy them from Bunk

http://bunknteri.com/Store.html

Thanks Dave.  I didn't think to do that. 

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

Bunk's picks are awesome and you are supporting someone local to Arizona.  I have know Calvin Bunker for a very long time and the quality of the picks are worth very penny.  Yes, Bill sells them I believe, if not contact Bunk.  You will not be disappointed with either the smaller Burro Pick or the larger blade Hermit Pick.  

Bunk will even potentially customize a handle length if you wanted something larger or smaller, but contact Bill or Bunk for those specific details if needed. 

Have a great one,

Rob Allison

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Nugget Shooter said:

Yep I carry them as does Rob I think... Best in the West as far as digging tools go. I keep them in the shop and will only ship if buyer pays.... It is amazing what they charge these days for a box that size..

You could always sell just the pick head if the handle is a standard home depot item and doesn't require a lot of work to fit and attach. Maybe the manufacturer would discount the cost if selling only the head?

• Like 2

On 10/24/2018 at 5:52 AM, matt said:

You could always sell just the pick head if the handle is a standard home depot item and doesn't require a lot of work to fit and attach. Maybe the manufacturer would discount the cost if selling only the head?

On Bunks website (http://bunknteri.com/Pick.html) he has the pick heads separately for about $36. 

• Like 1

I always replace the wooden handles with fiberglass .... I've broken too many wooden handles and got splinters alot after leaving my picks in the back of my truck ... for me, wood handles don't work for long in the big AZ!...Bunks picks rock!  Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

I love THe Hermit picks....just don't fall on one, they will get you from any angle.  I never worried before  but now it is a concern.

I reckon I must remodel my detecting procedures....

Ron,how do you keep the fiberglass out of your hands?

fred

Edited by fredmason

20 hours ago, fredmason said:

I love THe Hermit picks....just don't fall on one, they will get you from any angle.  I never worried before  but now it is a concern.

I reckon I must remodel my detecting procedures....

Ron,how do you keep the fiberglass out of your hands?

fred

It doesn't splinter, just creates a yellow dust that wipes right off...I get them at Home Depot or my local Ace Hardware....Work great and lasts forever ... Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

get a freeze plug from auto parts that fits the end, epoxy and cross-hatch it with file or hack saw. wether wood or fiberglass put coat shellac on it. don't use anything but shellac, other finishes have toxins, harmful to skin, plus they don't last.

2 hours ago, fredmason said:

Really....you must have newer models or they changed the formula...mine have splinters, when I forget the gloves the little buggers get under my skin...

May have to get new ones if that is the problem....

thanks, UNC!

fred

Those new handles are different. It isn't the classic fiberglass. I have been using a smaller pick with one of the yellow handles for several years now and they are awesome. There are no fibers near the outside. You can bust it all up around the neck of the handle and it is just plastic. And there is a black rubber coating on the grip that is indestructible. 

I think it is a heavy fiberglass pipe cast deep in a thick, tough plastic. It is the best darn handle I have ever seen. I can't seem to break one no matter what I hook the blade of the pick under. I think the cast pick head would break long before that handle folded.

I have one on a big maul, on my grubbing pick and a drifting pick and a couple on big sledge hammers. You just can't beat them for tool handles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/30/2018 at 12:14 PM, fredmason said:

Really....you must have newer models or they changed the formula...mine have splinters, when I forget the gloves the little buggers get under my skin...

May have to get new ones if that is the problem....

thanks, UNC!

fred

They are compost now still decompose, but not stickers....