Nugget Shooter Forums

are these worth getting looked at?

1 hour ago, fredmason said:

Rocky, could you please use a little more punctuation ...just a little would allow me to more fully cherish your statements....

Anyway, if you are lucky enough to have an expert that will classify your stone, wonderful!

Of course, many people are "often wrong, but  never in doubt" about their "meteorites."

with respect and definitely not trying to pick a fight

fred

I understand, I did that on the road and I didn't have time to proofread it. Sorry about that.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, hardtimehermit said:

Glad i tried to help.:grr01:

Hey I wasn't trying to undermine what you said man I'm sorry. I like you, Im just not a fan of the service. It feels a little gimmicky at this point. You helped me, with your kind post about my collection and that's worth more to me than Russell Kemptons "service" any day!!! 

Hey man, that's fine i thought you might be anxious to get a true or false on your rock. Is there something you know about Russel  i don't? You make it sound like the service is a scam, and if so i hope you would also share some info. It feels gimmicky? what does the New England Met. lab website? I wasn't trying to help you with my kind post about your collection, i was trying to help you find science. If you want to get classification so you can market your rock that's fine, but i don't see the big deal in sending a small chip to be tested. They can at least give you a thumbs up or not. Anyway just have fun whatever you choose.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, hardtimehermit said:

Hey man, that's fine i thought you might be anxious to get a true or false on your rock. Is there something you know about Russel  i don't? You make it sound like the service is a scam, and if so i hope you would also share some info. It feels gimmicky? what does the New England Met. lab website? I wasn't trying to help you with my kind post about your collection, i was trying to help you find science. If you want to get classification so you can market your rock that's fine, but i don't see the big deal in sending a small chip to be tested. They can at least give you a thumbs up or not. Anyway just have fun whatever you choose.

His website is full of good information I can't deny, he has a lot of material for sale as well, I think he runs a legitimate business with a very good niche service. I included gimmicky because I feel like his identification service isn't a necessity in the course of identification. Like I said before I think if you've handle enough meteorite material and have studied up a bit you can make a positive or negative ID yourself. Also people can share their rocks, ask and get answers on a website like this as well, it's a free service in itself. The accurate information Bill Peters often posts here when people post rocks here is essentially the same information one would pay for with met lab services when a person sends a sample that ends up not being a meteorite. In the end it is the same exact explanation of what characterizes a meteorite that Bill provides yet someone ends up paying for it instead of getting it for free in this age of vast free information at our fingertips.

Edited by Rocky
  • Like 1

The first meteorite I ever found.

my1st.JPG

I've been back to Holbrook every year since and been fortunate enough to never leave empty handed.  Finds from 2018.

20180429_101007.jpg

68g Franconia found sans detector (batteries had died).

GB_Franc-2015-008.JPG

2014 California dry lake find

ElMirageAug23-005.jpg

My cold find, Blackhawk Mountain

Blackhawk20Oct2012-004.jpg

mpmCold1.jpg

Edited by Mikestang
  • Like 3
  • wow 1

like seeing in place pictures, took it a step further by marking with an arrow pointing north, fun checking the poles with a compass.

harvey nininger recorded one with 190 some poles.

7 hours ago, Mikestang said:

Man those last two look outstanding Mike, of course they are all awesome,  I have to get out to Holbrook soon. I receive vacation time in January. Maybe not a bad time to head out ?

24 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Man those last two look outstanding Mike, of course they are all awesome,  I have to get out to Holbrook soon. I receive vacation time in January. Maybe not a bad time to head out ?

Holbrook could be dicey in January. You could have beautiful temps in the 60s or snow storms and everything in between. The weather predictions out here in the desert are pretty good these days so watch closely.

I've been to Holbrook in the winter once, back in 2016, and found the ground surface much different than when hunting during monsoon season in the summer - it wasn't as meteorite-finding friendly.  And for a so. Cal. warm blood like me it was bloody freezing.  A friend and I spent two days hunting and only made "two" finds.  I put 2 in quotes because one find was a small cluster of a rock that had broken apart.

Holbrook2016-14.JPG